Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Science Delusion?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Just out of curiosity, what do you think ESP or telepathy would actually gain us anyway?

Do we really take for granted the incredible communication skills that almost every human on the planet is capable of?

Surely one of the most incredible developments by human beings is language itself? We already have a very sophisticated system for representing thoughts and feelings, translating them into words, and communicating them either through the air as sound waves or through visual means such as writing, and technology has augmented that extensively. The telephone, the radio, the internet ... all extensions of an incredible natural ability.

Humans on Earth have had conversations with humans walking on the moon, that to me is pretty amazing "telepathy" all by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

swampgas wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think ESP or telepathy would actually gain us anyway?

Do we really take for granted the incredible communication skills that almost every human on the planet is capable of?

Surely one of the most incredible developments by human beings is language itself? We already have a very sophisticated system for representing thoughts and feelings, translating them into words, and communicating them either through the air as sound waves or through visual means such as writing, and technology has augmented that extensively. The telephone, the radio, the internet ... all extensions of an incredible natural ability.

Humans on Earth have had conversations with humans walking on the moon, that to me is pretty amazing "telepathy" all by itself.

Hear, hear. Well said, that man.

Wouldn't telepathy and the like be a pain, though? Constantly privy to the innermost thoughts of every fool within effective radius. Zeus, it's bad enough overhearing conversations in the pub.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well it would eliminate having to pay outdated network data charges, or waiting for Ireland to implement 4G. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Well it would eliminate having to pay outdated network data charges, or waiting for Ireland to implement 4G. :)

Well, if telepathy was just people's thoughts, I reckon the Signal to Noise Ratio would be pretty shocking, even by internet standards :)

pauldla wrote: »
    Wouldn't telepathy and the like be a pain, though? Constantly privy to the innermost thoughts of every fool within effective radius. Zeus, it's bad enough overhearing conversations in the pub.

Well if there was no way to filter which thoughts were transmitted, I reckon we'd have to invent some kind of tin-foil hat. The idea of family get-togethers where my relatives can read my thoughts is unnerving, to say the least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

"Oh, Charles..."

2254078-2254067-magneto2_medium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I bet Charles isn't even in that wheelchair. He's got Anna Paquin, Halle Berry and Famke Janssen with range, and he can control minds? The durty fecker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

swampgas wrote: »

I suspect it would put a serious dent in the level of infidelity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

nagirrac wrote: »
    I suspect it would put a serious dent in the level of infidelity :)

and put an end to estate agents forever.

Advertisement