Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer flop of the year 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm tempted to say Hugo Lloris, fewer starts than a 41 year old.

Adam Johnson at Sunderland is looking rather expensive (mind you he beat City last week!). Gastón Ramírez at 13,000,000 is was crazy but that's again not his fault. Soton spent their money in the wrong places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Not everyone will agree, but I think Arsenal made a bad move in taking in Oliver Giroud (or in fact Podolski), especially when you see what other strikers have gone for to other teams in the league.

Still time for both of course and it would probably help if Arsene Wenger actually played Podolski more central, but look at the following that I would say some fans might prefer -

Romelu Lukaku - Loan (16 appearances and 6 goals)
    Christian Benteke - £7m (16 apperances and 5 goals)
    Dimitar Berbatov - £5m (15 appearances and 5 goals)
    Michu - £2m (18 appearances and 13 goals)

Someone like Benteke and Berbatov would bring a bit more to the side I think.

Still, early days yet so very hard to say who will actually end up a flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Borini and joe allen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mike65 wrote: »

Adam Johnson at Sunderland is looking rather expensive (mind you he beat City last week!). Gastón Ramírez at 13,000,000 is was crazy but that's again not his fault. Soton spent their money in the wrong places.

Lloris has played well whenever he's been picked though. He wasn't playing before he got a chance to prove himself - seems now to have established himself as the no 1. It may go down as the most unnecessary transfer as Friedel has done little to justify being dropped but I wouldn't call Lloris a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

What about Marin to Chelsea, I only realised he was there when he came on as a sub. He was pretty highly regarded last year iirc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Borini and joe allen
    Borini has been injured last 3months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

sigurdsson.

hasnt done much for spurs

Not everyone will agree, but I think Arsenal made a bad move in taking in Oliver Giroud (or in fact Podolski), especially when you see what other strikers have gone for to other teams in the league.

Still time for both of course and it would probably help if Arsene Wenger actually played Podolski more central, but look at the following that I would say some fans might prefer -

Romelu Lukaku - Loan (16 appearances and 6 goals)
    Christian Benteke - £7m (16 apperances and 5 goals)
    Dimitar Berbatov - £5m (15 appearances and 5 goals)
    Michu - £2m (18 appearances and 13 goals)

Someone like Benteke and Berbatov would bring a bit more to the side I think.

Still, early days yet so very hard to say who will actually end up a flop.

Michu has been a revelation and to compare Giroud to him is unfair. Still early days for Giroud but he's shown enough to me to prove he can be a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Pavel Pogrebnyak has been largely useless.

Not sure I agree with some of these suggestions though. Borini's been injured so that's a bit harsh.

Giroud started playing well a few weeks ago, but then picked up an injury and is only getting back in the team now. He'll get 10-15 in the league this season if he starts most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Must be Jack Rodwell. Cost a fair amount of money, but he's been pretty dreadful when he's played, has cost City a few goals and now he's injured (I think) which is probably a good thing for City fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

QPR

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

greendom wrote: »

Michu has been a revelation and to compare Giroud to him is unfair. Still early days for Giroud but he's shown enough to me to prove he can be a success.

People say "revelation" as if he just came out of nowhere and started scoring. He was the top scoring midfielder in La Liga last season. He was quite well known to regular viewers of La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Giroud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I would vote for maicon.He already wants to jump ship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes Rodwell for me too. Just for the hype that went with him.

True, I'm not totalling writing him off but if Arsenal are being tight with the cash, then at £13m he is a bit overpriced compared to the others I listed.

When you add on the £11m for Podolski, it starts to look a bit panicky, especially when other sides are now getting some quality players for very little (Newcastle)

Michu, as mentioned by another poster was the top goalscoring midfielder in La Liga and Benteke had a 1 in 2 record for Genk and was a Belgian international. Berbatov was well known to all and might have actually suited Arsenal better than most.

I would imagine that Arsenal's transfer record signing is around the £18m mark? Please correct me if I'm wrong. When you look at how much he then spent on Giroud and Podolski, he would have to be pretty sure that they would succeed.

People say "revelation" as if he just came out of nowhere and started scoring. He was the top scoring midfielder in La Liga last season. He was quite well known to regular viewers of La Liga.

ok he's been a revelation to me - pretty ignorant me !

True, I'm not totalling writing him off but if Arsenal are being tight with the cash, then at £13m he is a bit overpriced compared to the others I listed.

When you add on the £11m for Podolski, it starts to look a bit panicky, especially when other sides are now getting some quality players for very little (Newcastle)

Some players take longer to adjust to new environments than others- i'm sure, given the right support, Giroud will be at least as effective as the other players you mention.

Yes Newcastle are beating Arsenal at their own game in terms of finding value in France.

What about Marin to Chelsea, I only realised he was there when he came on as a sub. He was pretty highly regarded last year iirc

He has Mata, Hazard, Oscar and Moses keeping him out of the team ffs.
    sigurdsson.

He also hasn't been played much, and very good players starting ahead of him. Spurs have a habit of buying midfielders they don't need and leaving them rot on the bench. Like Kranjcar, and Pienaar, both quality but rarely saw game time.

Most of QPR's team are new transfers and haven't been performing.

sigurdsson.

I think you can add Dempsey to that list too - amazing to see how well they are doing when 2 of their major signings are not really performing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

In regards to Marin & Borini, both have had injuries.

Scott Sinclair for me, should of stayed with Swansea to progress further, what a waste of a season its going to be for him.

From reading the Liverpool thread, Sturridge.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    In regards to Marin & Borini, both have had injuries.

Scott Sinclair for me, should of stayed with Swansea to progress further, what a waste of a season its going to be for him.

Yeah I couldn't believe he wanted to go to them. Never had a hope of first team football. He must have known this himself and decided he wanted the extra cash.

I think you can add Dempsey to that list too - amazing to see how well they are doing when 2 of their major signings are not really performing.

Think we have a winner.

Dempsey has been horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

From reading the Liverpool thread, Sturridge.

That will be for next years thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yeah I couldn't believe he wanted to go to them. Never had a hope of first team football. He must have known this himself and decided he wanted the extra cash.

He gets to live in a half decent city where his missus works too. It worked out perfectly for him really aside from the playing time, but considering he has trebled his wage I doubt he really cares that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dembélé, Lloris and Vertonghen were Spurs most expensive signings, (18, 12 and 11 million), Dempsey and Sigurdssen were about 7 and 9 million, Spurs spent a flipping fortune in the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You have to be pretty stupid to think Giroud is flop of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

AdamD wrote: »
    You have to be pretty stupid to think Giroud is flop of the year.

Especially as he's only played for 4 months of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Junior Hoillet I expected big things from but he was a free transfer so hard to call him a flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Rodwell without doubt . They signed him and he was crap then went out and signed Javi Garcia .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Jay Rodriguez, Southampton spent £7 million on an average Championship striker.

Feck it lads, lets just give it to Andy Carroll.

That transfer should receive some form of dispensation and be included in every one of these awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Take your pick

2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc045f7d2b2a70975ad21ae650df0e80ebe08.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I doubt the majority of PL viewers follow La Liga with any intensity outside of Real/Barca, especially the clubs down near the relegation zone. So for many people he did come out of nowhere. And for an unknown player to come in for a pittance to a mid-table side and do so well was surprising to a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Bit harsh on Rodwell. He's played 6 games for City, ok he made two big mistakes in those 6 games. But he's been injured since October. He'll come good when given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Liam O wrote: »
    Junior Hoillet I expected big things from but he was a free transfer so hard to call him a flop.

He wasn't free, there was a compensation payment of around £4 million, plus I don't suppose he will be on average wages.

I expected bigger things from him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Adebayor. Job security doesn't bring the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Lumbo wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Rodwell. He's played 6 games for City, ok he made two big mistakes in those 6 games. But he's been injured since October. He'll come good when given time.

It was a foolish signing in the first place as he's been so injury prone in his young career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

mike65 wrote: »
    He didn't start at the beginning because he was living in a hotel in a different country to his family and AVB didn't want to rush him in. Doing excellent as of late with another fine performance today.
    Lloris has played well whenever he's been picked though. He wasn't playing before he got a chance to prove himself - seems now to have established himself as the no 1. It may go down as the most unnecessary transfer as Friedel has done little to justify being dropped but I wouldn't call Lloris a flop.
    Wow, what a statement. I can only assume you don't know how old Friedal is? Otherwise that is an incredibly illogical comment.
    Dempsey has been performing for the last 2 months. I'd still call him a poor signing because of his wages, but to say he hasn't been performing is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

JPA wrote: »
    It was a foolish signing in the first place as he's been so injury prone in his young career.

Overhyped as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Overhyped as well.

I've watched him at Everton for the last 6 seasons. He's a very mature player for his age, has a good eye for a pass, links play well, runs all day and made very few mistakes in that time. He's injury prone, that's his biggest problem. £12m was cheap for an England squad player considering some of the stupid money paid in the last few seasons for young English players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Nuri Sahin for Liverpool.

people expected a top quality, star player.

Even before he got injured he never came close to living up to the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sahin is quality though. For whatever reason it hasn't worked out for him at Liverpool, which I'd put down to Rodgers mainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Nuri Sahin for Liverpool.

people expected a top quality, star player.

Even before he got injured he never came close to living up to the hype.

Play him where he is supposed to be played then.

Rodgers is the flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Pavel Pogrebnyak has been largely useless.
    Andrei Kanchelskis apart (although he was born in Ukraine), Russians just can't seem to hack British football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sigurdsson probably
    gustavo wrote: »
    Take your pick

Gartland which is remarkable when you consider the trousers chosen by Powell and Kavanagh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Kagawa hasn't lived up to my expectations, thought he'd hit the groud running but was pretty average prior to injury.

Worst though probably Hoilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Kagawa hasn't lived up to my expectations, thought he'd hit the groud running but was pretty average prior to injury.

Worst though probably Hoilet.

Quite harsh after only 492 minutes in 7 games of premier league action!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think Granero is worth a mention. I thought he was a bargain tbh but he has been tripe for QPR. Needs to return to Spain. Top player still in my eyes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement