Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portugal or Lanzarote for warm weather surf camp in May?

Options
  • 29-12-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I have some time off this May and want to do a week away.
    I've been to Sagres before and found in great surf, but cold. It was start of March. The surfexperience lads in Lagos are great craic, the town was dead though. Dont know if i would go back

Flights from Cork to Lisbon are only 120bucks
    Flights from Shannon to Lanzarote are 200bucks.

Any opinions?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    I have some time off this May and want to do a week away.
    I've been to Sagres before and found in great surf, but cold. It was start of March. The surfexperience lads in Lagos are great craic, the town was dead though. Dont know if i would go back

Flights from Cork to Lisbon are only 120bucks
    Flights from Shannon to Lanzarote are 200bucks.

Any opinions?
    Thanks!

I did surf school which I bought for a weekend from the main town in Lanzarote a few years back . The posters looked great & the guys were very plausible & friendly but when we got there the wind was SAVAGE ; we all got really bad windburn ; like blisters on our faces & hands despite factor 50 . There was no shelter/pub/cafe/building on the beach at all & we ended up building a wall from sand & digging pits to avoid the wind. The " school" was the guys apartments in a residential housing " block" ; one shower & toilet for 6 people & there was no facilities/ cages/surf shop/ other surf people or in fact, anyone else on the beach at all!

The guy did have surfboards/ wetsuits/ & we did do surf school in the mornings ; exercises on land; fitness training/ surf practise/ getting up on boards/catching waves etc but out of 10 of us only1 who had lived in Africa & had skin like an old boot could take the wind.

As I said ; it was " regular" prices & sounded v plausible & was well advertised but it was really not what we had imagined in terms of anything really. Ive been canoeing for years & used to poor facilities or roughing it but this was desolate & you really expect not to have to wait for a bus/taxi/life to get back to your apartment & for there to be a local bar/shop/cafe/etc : (

Sorry I can't remember the name ; I'd be looking for pics before I bought!

Advertisement