Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat/ smoke detector problems

Options
  • 29-12-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Morning all,

A neighbour called me yesterday morning as her heat detector in her kitchen was chirping. I changed the battery as she is elderly and it is mounted on a high ceiling. Problem is that a low chirping can still be heard every 45 seconds. I changed the battery again and am checking batteries with a multimeter. Same story again every 45 secs a low chirping noise can be heard. There are three detectors installed in her house all of the EI make, 2 smoke and 1 heat. I disconnected the supply to all and removed the battery from the heat det and can still hear the chirping! I know from previously installing these alarms, they say if the unit is working correctly green mains light will be on and red light will flash every 40 secs or so and this is happening fine. I am just completely stumped by this and was checking all over the kitchen for other battery appliances that may chirp, eg bell chime, weighing scales etc. Any ideas very welcome! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that the chirping persists for a short time after the battery has been changed with some makes. Change all batteries for new and wait for 1/2 an hour and I think you may find all is well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Some detectors are also fussy on the batteries used. Make sure they are alkaline . Generally they take a couple of minutes to recognise a new battery.

Advertisement