Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Mayo Boards Political Oscars

Options
  • 29-12-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year when we look back with rose tinted glasses and review what has happened to us Mayo folk and how our public representative's have progressed life in the Irish and Mayo republic. Given the spirit of previous posts I am taking a humorous angle on this and no malice is intended.

So the 2012, inaugural Mayo Boards Oscars is launched and the following are the categories and winners;

1. Best National representative - This goes to Michelle Mulherin for her creative and interesting insights on a subject that is on every one's mind and critical that it is addressed for her constituents - fornication. For more details see here.
    2. Best Mayo & International Leader - There is only one nomination in this category (well no one else really qualifies) and for him getting on the front cover of Time magazine and his on/off relationship with Angela Merkel and his interesting attempt to do away with the Seanad - Inda Kenny. He also gets an honourable mention for his political persona (nice guy next door image etc.) character that lends itself readily to satire, see here and here. For an interesting take on his reputation internationally see here
    3. Best FF representative - This goes to Dara Calleary as the sole and only FF TD and torch bearer representing Mayo on a national level. He also serves as a reminder as to the reasons as to why we are in the mess that we are in.
    4. Best local politician - This is brimming with erstwhile nominees from Frank Durcan in Castlebar, to Ollie Gannon in Westport and his castigation of Gabriel Byrne 's comments on the Gathering from here and Westport's councillors efforts to work together from here. Ballina's Gerry Ginty deserves special mention for his efforts to preserve town councillors role in the face of Phil Hogan's local government reform and his suggestion that TDs take a 58% cut in their salaries to save local councillors jobs. There can only be one winner and this goes to Councillor Frank Durcan for his dogged and persistent attacks on public officals. See here for one such tirade.
    5. Best local public official - This has to go to Peter Hynes for his resilience in fighting off consistent attacks from Councillor Frank Durcan as taken from here. His ability to deal with councillors and TDs in a steadfast manner has to be noted. Plus he's only getting paid a measely €150k to keep them in check. :rolleyes:
    I have tried to balance out the oscars across the political divide so that I am not castigated for party allegiance or favour. If I have omitted any deserving candidate please feel free to make a recommendation and a link to support your nomination.

Please participate in the spirit that this thread was started.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

6. Best Horror: Damien Ryan FF Ballinrobe,

"risked the lives of other motorists by driving dangerously on a twisted treacherous stretch of road"
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/35692

His 2 year ban is nearly up, he's due back on the road in 26 days time :eek:

7. Best Mystery: Damien Ryan FF Ballinrobe,

"also charged with refusing to give a sample or blood or urine on the same date but this was withdrawn by the State."
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/35692

Its still a mystery!!! :rolleyes:

whereas this unconnected eejet got "disqualified from driving for four years for failing to provide a sample"
    http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/56535/castlebar-man-arrested-while-celebrating-before-his-wedding

8. Best of the Best of the Besty Best: Michael Ring FG
    Cause he's just great :D no link needed!!!

no malice here either, just hard fact ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

1. Best Mayo & International Leader - There is only one nomination in this category (well no one else really qualifies) and for him getting on the front cover of Time magazine and his on/off relationship with Angela Merkel and his interesting attempt to do away with the Seanad - Inda Kenny. He also gets an honourable mention for his political persona (nice guy next door image etc.) character that lends itself readily to satire, see here and here. For an interesting take on his reputation internationally see here

As a follow up, Inda's high 5s with the kids at the launch of Ireland's EU presidency was cringe worthy. Good man Inda......

Mid West running a controversial angle on this at the moment.

Not like Mid West to schtick it to Inda :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

finisklin wrote: »
    [/LIST] As a follow up, Inda's high 5s with the kids at the launch of Ireland's EU presidency was cringe worthy. Good man Inda......

I don't agree. Many kids exchange high fives, and would regard a handshake as too grrown up. I thought it looked rather nice and "cool".

nuac wrote: »
    I don't agree. Many kids exchange high fives, and would regard a handshake as too grrown up. I thought it looked rather nice and "cool".

.......and completely staged.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

finisklin wrote: »
    .......and completely staged.....

ah don't be so cynical within the octave of the season of goodwill.:)

Kids are high-fiving all the time. My five year old grand-daughter cocnstantly greets and says goodbye to friends and adults that way.

nuac wrote: »
    ah don't be so cynical

One has to be cynical about politics in the current environment.

Surely Nuac you must have some nominations for the Mayo 2012 oscars? :D

Advertisement