Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a HDD's RPM?

Options
  • 29-12-2012 12:53pm

Hi guys,

Not sure where to post this but just thought I'd throw a thread up here about it (figure ye guys will be more knowledgeable than I).

Pretty much, I have an external Hard drive that'll be made redundant later today when i move to a larger one. However, I need to pick up an internal drive for my PS3.

General info is that a HDD that's 2.5" and 5400RPM will suit a PS3. The drive i have is a WD Elements 500GB one but I can't find the RPM anywhere.

This is it here;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-500GB-Portable/dp/B005A97A86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356780795&sr=8-1

The model number is: wdbpck5000abk-01

Googled around but no real luck. Was wondering if anyone would know if there's a way of finding out? Checked the properties when it's connected to the PC but no real information on RPM there (at least not that I can see, anyway).

Would anyone have any idea?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You'd have to crack it open and look at the label, some WD externals have the usb port soldered on so don't bank on having a SATA standard drive in it. Alternatively this may suit: here?
    If you can find out the drive model codes at all you may be able to find the details on Google, but with some externals I've found this is not possible

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hi guys,

Not sure where to post this but just thought I'd throw a thread up here about it (figure ye guys will be more knowledgeable than I).

Pretty much, I have an external Hard drive that'll be made redundant later today when i move to a larger one. However, I need to pick up an internal drive for my PS3.

General info is that a HDD that's 2.5" and 5400RPM will suit a PS3. The drive i have is a WD Elements 500GB one but I can't find the RPM anywhere.

This is it here;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-500GB-Portable/dp/B005A97A86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356780795&sr=8-1

The model number is: wdbpck5000abk-01

Googled around but no real luck. Was wondering if anyone would know if there's a way of finding out? Checked the properties when it's connected to the PC but no real information on RPM there (at least not that I can see, anyway).

Would anyone have any idea?

Cheers :)

i am sure a program called cyrstaldiskinfo tells you all the info on a hard drive even the RPM speed.

Its probably 5400rpm.

Also note that a lot of those drives are USB 3.0 native - ie they don't have SATA connectors.

Crack it open and you can confirm both. You'll void the warranty by opening it but I assume you are willing to do that anyway if you were putting it in your PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Cheers guys,

Don't really want to break it open to see that it's not going to be compatible, so I suppose picking up an actual internal drive that I know will meet my needs is probably the wisest choice.

Hard to find a store that sells them though (offline). Argos, DID, Harvey, etc. none deal with internal drives :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Cheers guys,

Don't really want to break it open to see that it's not going to be compatible, so I suppose picking up an actual internal drive that I know will meet my needs is probably the wisest choice.

Hard to find a store that sells them though (offline). Argos, DID, Harvey, etc. none deal with internal drives :(

I'm pretty sure the only place offline would PC World, but they charge a ridiculous premium. Most external hard drives are 5400rpm and SATA, as long as they are not the cutting edge e.g. USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt interface. So you could in theory just pick up an external drive for cheap and open it.

Cheers guys,

It varies from model to model but normally when you crack them open they pop back together again (just be careful not to break the tabs).

So all you're losing is the warranty, if it turns out not to have a SATA connector you can just keep using it as an external. Check on the WD support page to see how much warranty you have left anyway.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the only place offline would PC World, but they charge a ridiculous premium. Most external hard drives are 5400rpm and SATA, as long as they are not the cutting edge e.g. USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt interface. So you could in theory just pick up an external drive for cheap and open it.

Problem i have is that everything seems to be USB 3 compatible now.

I just got two of these in Argos:

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=9052798&authToken=

(well priced, in my opinion, and free 4gb stick is a nice touch, too)

So was kinda hoping even one of them might work, but they're USB 3 compatible, too.

The only other drive I have is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-SimpleDrive-Portable-SDM-500CF/dp/B002CM3S1M

Which is also being replaced by one of the 1TB drives. Thing about that is, again, can't find RPM info, and on top of that, the casing looks very difficult to get open. I've never opened a case before, but reckon I may damage the internal drive by removing it wrongly.

Advertisement