Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mag lock query

Options
  • 29-12-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Cant find a better alternative on the net for securing a french type double upvc door. Have a HKC at the moment and wondered if any one here ever intergrated a 12volt mag lock similar to what you see in offices into an alarm system. So comes on when alarm is turned on. Other wise I am looking at physically turning it on/off.

Comments

Should be easy to do.
    Whats the idea ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Should be able to do it with a relay. Surely its in the manual.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any panel could do this using an output programmed as arm/disarm.
    What type of keypad is controlling the lock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers lads
    The red arrow is were I was thinking of positioning it, is it just a case of taking a tap off the sensor next to it.

On a seperate note anyone have any advice on security/laminated glass before I go looking. Have been out to a few break ins where they simply lobed a large object at the glass, alarm went off, walked straight in, took what they wanted and out all in under 3-5mins I presume. So while I understand alarms and the likes will not stop them its all about slowing them down where possible.
    So while it may be expensive I was thinking of changing out the glass in the lower rear windows for something that was a bit more energy efficient and if possible harder to get through

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A mag lock will require 12 volt power supply. That would not be avaliable at that sensor.
    Ideally you would be using a separate power supply to the alarm anyway.
    Have you decided what keypad etc would be controlling the lock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Are you planning on using the mag lock as the main lock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

cubix wrote: »
    Cant find a better alternative on the net for securing a french type double upvc door. Have a HKC at the moment and wondered if any one here ever intergrated a 12volt mag lock similar to what you see in offices into an alarm system. So comes on when alarm is turned on. Other wise I am looking at physically turning it on/off.

A mag lock on this door is not a good idea imo
    The door will have too much flex
    The glass can be easily removed from the outside, looks like the seals are on the outside from the pic
    The height clearance of the door will be reduced, possibly scalping someone in the process
    It will look terrible

I'd recommend replacing the euro cylinders with anti snap
    Laminate glass
    Fixing seals in place so they can't be removed

Advertisement