Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire?????

Options
  • 29-12-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    I was wondering if it is alright/ legal to light a small campfire outside? I am not sure if there are any environmental laws against it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Crann wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering if it is alright/ legal to light a small campfire outside? I am not sure if there are any environmental laws against it.
    Thanks
    Depends who's land you're on!! A landowners if you have permission to camp there might prefer if you didn't but always good to ask. coillte land is a no unless you get pre approved by the local warden. wouldn't know about the likes of wicklow glens etc.
    Richie.

Hi,
    Thanks

It's not environmental laws, it's land ownership laws. You can't light a fire on someone else's land without permission, and the vast majority of land in this country is privately owned. As for public amenities, know Killarney National Park has a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Crann

The land is actually my own, so no problems with asking permission :). I was just unsure about lighting fires outdoors in general. Thanks for the help.

The land is actually my own, so no problems with asking permission :). I was just unsure about lighting fires outdoors in general. Thanks for the help.

Oh burn burn burn! ;)

It is illegal to burn household waste, and if you live in a development or estate there may be a condition in the Transfer preventing one person from doing anything that may become a nuisance or annoyance to neighbouring owners, but haven't heard of a fire being a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh burn burn burn! ;)
    Not quite. Burning farm land is illegal for 6 months of the year.

Anything that could lead to a larger fire needs to be dealt with very carefully.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Not quite. Burning farm land is illegal for 6 months of the year.

Anything that could lead to a larger fire needs to be dealt with very carefully.

But is that not limited to burning land, much like the waste regulations are restricted to burning waste?

Advertisement