Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland vs Spurs - 12:45pm KO - Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Bale booked for diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Slight contact but he would still be able to ground his foot and continue his run. He really pisses me off...

Oh, that shoulda been a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Is it 3 yellows for diving this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Bale is the biggest diver in the premier league. He's a disgrace, he does this week in, week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Who the hell is in CM now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Adebayor is completely lacking in confidence and playing very poorly of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Tbf there was a slight touch but again a bad dive, far too much of it.

Great chance for Adebayot to wrap up the game but denied by another great Mignolet save, nice backheel by Dempsey in that move too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

SuprSi wrote: »
    Bale, that's bad. Really, really bad. Deserves the booking and I think that's him gone for the next match. Idiot
    Case of the boy who cried wolf there, I've seen them given.
    A lot of referees would even have given it after seeing a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

double GG wrote: »

5 including internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But how can he book bale after failing to book Defoe for a worse dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Adebaywhore fock off you long streak of pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

double GG wrote: »

All 5 of his bookings this season have been for diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The guy on my stream reckons it was a pen, I don't see it myself, there is contact on his knee but he drags his foot as if he was clipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Can't believe that people were crying out to have McClean in the Irish team.
    Headless chicken.
    It's quite easy to believe in fairness. This time last year he was clearly Ireland's best winger and was tearing up the premiership. Not hard to see why people were calling for him to be in the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

niallo27 wrote: »
    The guy on my stream reckons it was a pen, I don't see it myself, there is contact on his knee but he drags his foot as if he was clipped.

this is it, he threw himself like his foot was clipped. I thought the Gardiner's arm contact was more of a foul (and still not an actual foul) but sure Bale was mid flight at that stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Load of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It was a peno all day long.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What an awful ball by Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Kyle Walker is a disaster of a right back!
    Mignolet was super today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Bales a clown but Spurs and AVB <3 I want them to do well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Happy days, can sit back and watch our rivals hopefully slip up now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Gareth Bale on yellow for diving v S'land: "Three times I've been clipped and booked for no reason. Referees have to look closer."

:pac:

Blatter wrote: »
    Gareth Bale on yellow for diving v S'land: "Three times I've been clipped and booked for no reason. Referees have to look closer."

Having seen it again it was a pen and now we lose him for a game, bit of a balls.

Blatter wrote: »

:eek:

i'm on sky go so there's a bit of a delay and just . . . :eek: "protect myself" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sky are making excuses for Bale. If he was a "foreign" player (outside british isles) would they say the same? Definite dive for me btw.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Sky are making excuses for Bale. If he was a "foreign" player (outside british isles) would they say the same? Definite dive for me btw.

I have to disagree with you there, he has dived before but that today was a penalty and if it was any other player but Bale it could have been given.

Here's a great view which shows that there was more than enough contact and it wasn't a dive at all;

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/leephelps/view/14512962

Edit - I initially thought it was a dive too but Atkinson would have had a similar enough view to this.

Here's a great view which shows that there was more than enough contact and it wasn't a dive at all;

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/leephelps/view/14512962

Edit - I initially thought it was a dive too but Atkinson would have had a similar enough view to this.
    That view proves it was a dive imho. There was contact, but how the hell did the contact make his right leg stop moving forward?

That view proves it was a dive imho. There was contact, but how the hell did the contact make his right leg stop moving forward?

Ok, so the issue is that although there was more than enough contact to award a penalty, he should have continued? Fair enough, but any other player in that situation would have done the exact same thing - contact in the penalty box, and enough contact to make his trailing leg swing sideways - player goes down. Penalty any day of the week, but his reputation preceeds him and he is never going to get awarded that type of decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ok, so the issue is that although there was more than enough contact to award a penalty, he should have continued? Fair enough, but any other player in that situation would have done the exact same thing - contact in the penalty box, and enough contact to make his trailing leg swing sideways - player goes down. Penalty any day of the week, but his reputation preceeds him and he is never going to get awarded that type of decision.

So other players dive /go down easy so it's ok for Bale?

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    So other players dive /go down easy so it's ok for Bale?

That's not what's being argued here. Bale was fouled, plain and simple. He went down and should have been awarded a penalty but wasn't because of who he is. I'm not saying it's ok for him or other players to do it, like I said I initially thought it was a dive but the majority of other players would do the same and most likely have been awarded a penalty.

That's not what's being argued here. Bale was fouled, plain and simple. He went down and should have been awarded a penalty but wasn't because of who he is. I'm not saying it's ok for him or other players to do it, like I said I initially thought it was a dive but the majority of other players would do the same and most likely have been awarded a penalty.

Contact is not equal to a foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He exaggerated the contact, he's conned too many times before, deserves his reputation and today is a consequence of his own making

Contact is not equal to a foul.

Agreed, but the contact in the linked video is a foul. It's enough to move his trailing leg sideways.

I don't agree that there was more than enough contact to award a peno. Contact doesn't automatically mean it's a foul or else there'd be a foul every 10 seconds in every game.
    In the bale situation, there was clearly contact, but clearly not nearly enough to trip him bale so he dived. Ref was perfectly right to book him for simulation imho.

Agreed, but the contact in the linked video is a foul. It's enough to move his trailing leg sideways.

I don't agree. He could have easily brought his right leg forward after the contact - leaving it there trailing does not help his case either imo. He wanted to go down, he was not made go down.

But, and maybe it's simply open to interpretation, there was not enough contact to knock him. Players, all of them, should try to stay on their feet and Bale could have if he wanted to.

theteal wrote: »
    I don't agree. He could have easily brought his right leg forward after the contact - leaving it there trailing does not help his case either imo. He wanted to go down, he was not made go down.
    But, and maybe it's simply open to interpretation, there was not enough contact to knock him. Players, all of them, should try to stay on their feet and Bale could have if he wanted to.

Agree with the bold bits above. There's no denying he could have continued and in my view should have, but I also think that there's enough contact for a foul to be awarded. On another day, or with another player it might have been awarded, but in the long run it's best if this type of contact is not punished. I just wish it was consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Gareth Bale's answer today after the match.

“It’s not something I’m doing, it’s people thinking I’m diving when there is actually contact. At the end of the day if there is contact then it’s a penalty or free-kick. If there is contact and I fall over, what am I expected to do, hit my head on the floor?”

• Advertisement

Hansen said the ref got it "spectacularly wrong" on motd. What's the RTE reaction, I've not got it?

I'll tune into talksport Monday evening to entertain myself at Durham ranting that contact does not make it a foul :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I don't agree that there was more than enough contact to award a peno. Contact doesn't automatically mean it's a foul or else there'd be a foul every 10 seconds in every game.
    In the bale situation, there was clearly contact, but clearly not nearly enough to trip him bale so he dived. Ref was perfectly right to book him for simulation imho.

and how do you know that? There was contact and you cannot possibly know if it was enough to fell a player :confused: Help me out here

Hansen said the ref got it "spectacularly wrong" on motd. What's the RTE reaction, I've not got it?

I'll tune into talksport Monday evening to entertain myself at Durham ranting that contact does not make it a foul :D

To be honest if that touch was a foul there would be 30 or 40 pen's a match.

Hansen needs to retire to the golf course now he is out of touch with the game.

Durham is on sick leave till Jan.so you'll have to wait for his rant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

To be honest if that touch was a foul there would be 30 or 40 pen's a match.

Hansen needs to retire to the golf course now he is out of touch with the game.

Durham is on sick leave till Jan.so you'll have to wait for his rant :D

Did you see it? There is clear and reasonably strong contact to Bale's knee,at the pace he was moving it was definitely enough to bring him down, not a dive at all.

Predalien wrote: »
    Did you see it? There is clear and reasonably strong contact to Bale's knee,at the pace he was moving it was definitely enough to bring him down, not a dive at all.

He put his arm across Bale's chest as he ran into the box. Bale went down because as he say if your touched it's a foul. He didn't pull his jersey or take hold of him in any way. Bale ran through the out stretched arm and went down starfish style.

• Advertisement

Predalien wrote: »

It's a dive. He felt the knee contact and that was his excuse: look at his left leg, what stopped that from landing on the ground in a normal running motion? It wasn't the slight contact, it was Gareth Bale "protecting himself" :D

He put his arm across Bale's chest as he ran into the box. Bale went down because as he say if your touched it's a foul. He didn't pull his jersey or take hold of him in any way. Bale ran through the out stretched arm and went down starfish style.

He also got a knee in the leg

He was already mid-flight when the arm contact occurred. That was the most foul-ish part of the physical exchange. The dive happened before that so it's a free the opposite way.

He was already mid-flight when the arm contact occurred. That was the most foul-ish part of the physical exchange. The dive happened before that so it's a free the opposite way.

The arm across his chest and knee to the leg happened at the same time :confused:

capturevni.jpg

How is that not a foul unless you are claiming that the arm across the chest should have kept Bale upright after he got a knee in the leg?

He also got a knee in the leg

He hit the defender with his knee that's a free out ;) Sure at the speed he goes the defender must has thought he was hit by a car. That must be the most dangerous thing I have ever seen in a football match :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement