Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Niall Quinn is worst pundit ever

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Gary Neville is easily the most annoying man on television.

Stopped reading there, hes widely acknowledged as being one of the best pundits around,being very objective and very knowledgeable. Are you sure you just don't like him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Mark Robson has to be by far the worst.

Thankfully he seems to have been banished to Nordie football but he does feature heavily whenever there's an Irish rugby team playing on sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Stopped reading there, hes widely acknowledged as being one of the best pundits around,being very objective and very knowledgeable. Are you sure you just don't like him?
    He's an idiot. It was hilarious listening to him go on about how the Man City team were so great before they were smashed to bits by Dortmund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

He's an idiot. It was hilarious listening to him go on about how the Man City team were so great before they were smashed to bits by Dortmund.

Why? Hindsight is a great thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Why? Hindsight is a great thing.
    Hindsight? There were several of us on the match thread talking about what a fantastic team that Dortmund had. If unpaid Joe Soap's can see that, why couldn't Gary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I have a lot of time for Neville as a pundit but he is woefully bad as a co commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Hindsight? There were several of us on the match thread talking about what a fantastic team that Dortmund had. If unpaid Joe Soap's can see that, why couldn't Gary?

Yes Dortmund had a good team, but to think that they wouldn't be a match for a Man City team that hadn't lost a home game in who knows how long (the F.A Cup to United I think), who were defending PL champs - and taking into account Dortmunds poor start, I think it was very reasonable to suggest Man City would win. With both teams doing awfully last year in the CL, I don't see how he Nev is an idiot for predicting a City win. So yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Ronnie Whelan, Pat Dolan and Niall Quinn for me. Hate listening to any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Get the lads in the match thread onto the TV.

Also, outright calling people idiots. Are we doing this on here now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've turned games off just because of his commentary - Big pile of sh!t :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Cienciano wrote: »
    Mark Lawrenson is the worst imho. Gives no insight into the game at all, just makes terrible puns. Ray Houghton is a close second, and the worst thing about Houghton is he never shuts up

The worst thing about Houghton is that mustache he had on Champions League night a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lou Macari by a billion miles, hes an angry little man and all that you get is complete out and out negativity from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Pat Dolan by a mile, his accent is pish, you'd think after being here for 20 years he'd have picked up a bit of Irish melodiousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Absolutely detest hearing niall quinn on sky. Adds nothing to the commentary.

(dont get me wrong, like what he did while playing but he is hopeless at commentating :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Lawrenson is the worst simply because he seems to hate his job and everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

For me you'd have lou macari, mark bright, niall quinn.

The worst pundit/commentary/prick with vocal chords I ever had the misfortune hearing is that Paddy Crerand. Can sometimes hear him on different things but by god he is so one sided its an embarrassment to both sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I have a lot of time for Neville as a pundit but he is woefully bad as a co commentator.

Woeful is way over the top. Not as natural as his punditry but still provides decent insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Mike Summerbee deserves a mention. His blind City bias was hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

JPA wrote: »
    Lawrenson is the worst simply because he seems to hate his job and everybody else.

He is terrible grumpy on match of the day 2. Mind you, the northy irish dude wreaks my head also. You can almost feel the hatred for the presenter coming from Lawro.

He was not on the last night and I prefered MOTD2 with the Xmas replacement host. Even Gabby was a nice change on Match of the day 1 over the Xmas. A change of hosts might sort out the format and putting Gabby in would be my first choice.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I like Neville as a pundit, but find him horrendously biased towards English teams in Europe, really off putting.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I really don't like listening to Craig Burley, Pat Crerand, Alan Green, Trevor Welch, Mark Lawrenson as commentators. I have a special hatred for Ian Darke, Niall Quinn and Steve McManaman who have to be the worst.

As for pundits Phil Thompson is by far and away the worst pundit on television. I find myself disagreeing with most of what he says. Paul Merson isn't far behind either and Jeff Stelling is useless too. Also dislike the usuals like Jamie Redknapp, Dwight Yorke, Mike Bitterbee etc.

There are very few that I enjoy listening too. As presenters I only like a few guys: James Richardson, Bill and Jake Humphrey (F1). As for pundits I like Gary Neville, Didi Hamann and Souness.

As for commentators I think Tim Caple and Clive Tyldesley are the best football commentators by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I really don't like listening to Craig Burley, Pat Crerand, Alan Green, Trevor Welch, Mark Lawrenson as commentators. I have a special hatred for Ian Darke, Niall Quinn and Steve McManaman who have to be the worst.

As for pundits Phil Thompson is by far and away the worst pundit on television. I find myself disagreeing with most of what he says. Paul Merson isn't far behind either and Jeff Stelling is useless too. Also dislike the usuals like Jamie Redknapp, Dwight Yorke, Mike Bitterbee etc.

There are very few that I enjoy listening too. As presenters I only like a few guys: James Richardson, Bill and Jake Humphrey (F1). As for pundits I like Gary Neville, Didi Hamann and Souness.

As for commentators I think Tim Caple and Clive Tyldesley are the best football commentators by a mile.

You really hold a grudge :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The problem with Quinn is that he only speaks in footballing cliches and most of the time they're mixed metaphors.

He's pretty sickly on that one to one show with Gay Byrne describing his pollyanna existence explaining how he used to go out on all night benders with the boys at Man City and almost threw it all away ( read that as six pints, a snack box and a minicab home ), how ex model Gillian waltzed into his life ( like she would if he wasn't a famous footballer ) and how some herbert came up to him and gave him a 250K punt cheque out of the blue for a nag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Merson is a genuine simpleton. He can barely speak. He is not intelligent enough to merit having any job that involves talking on TV.

Lawrenson, Whelan, Burley and Dolan are all also worse than Quinn. They're far more ignorant and Whelan is a snide sarcastic git to boot.

Even mentioning Neville in this thread is utterly laughable. He's one of the very few competent pundits on TV.

On pundits what about Phil Thompson on Gilette Soccer Saturday

''AAARRGHHH, OMG ! OMG !''

''Quick, over to Phil !''

''Wigan have just got a throw in at Reading''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Niall Quinn is totally lobstromnous.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Steve Staunton was a pundit for the BBC during one of the Ireland EURO 2012 games and he was asked what he would tell the players at half time if were the manager and he actually said he'd tell them to "have more quality." Woeful punditry. The sad thing is he was probably actually saying things like that while Ireland manager.

Advertisement