Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspensions (5 yellow)

• 29-12-2012 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the fantasy football section but it's relevant here too.

This week every year is always a big week for suspensions because it's the last day that a 5th yellow card will cost one. There are always a lot of players walking the tightrope. (After today the suspension point changes to 10 yellows). Expect a few to be missing for the next round of games.
    All of the following are on 4 yellows going into todays matches:

Aston Villa
    Ciaran Clark

Chelsea
    John Obi Mikel

Everton
    Leon Osman
    Phil Neville

Manchester City
    Yaya Toure
    Samir Nasri images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBbZZzqd67IG0xGyOA6EqdBkqRui4Oi42XlCtHArdr9O0t6aFezA

Manchester United
    Robin van Persie
    Wayne Rooney

Newcastle United
    Jonas Gutierrez

Norwich City
    Bradley Johnson images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaCprQtR2nQzWIBDvkyn2YTryL8bULY0SdY5KI6Xvs_BjslTomFg

Queens Park Rangers
    Samba Diakite
    Esteban Granero
    Adel Taarabt

Reading
    Mikele Leigertwood
    Adrian Mariappa

Southampton
    Morgan Schneiderlin

Stoke City
    Andy Wilkinson
    Stephen N'Zonzi images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBbZZzqd67IG0xGyOA6EqdBkqRui4Oi42XlCtHArdr9O0t6aFezA

Swansea City
    Chico Flores
    Michu

Tottenham Hotspur
    Gareth Bale images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaCprQtR2nQzWIBDvkyn2YTryL8bULY0SdY5KI6Xvs_BjslTomFg
    Jermain Defoe
    Sandro
    Jan Vertonghen

West Bromwich Albion
    Claudio Yacob
    Billy Jones

West Ham United
    James Collins images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaCprQtR2nQzWIBDvkyn2YTryL8bULY0SdY5KI6Xvs_BjslTomFg
    Kevin Nolan images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaCprQtR2nQzWIBDvkyn2YTryL8bULY0SdY5KI6Xvs_BjslTomFg
    Winston Reid

Wigan Athletic
    Jean Beausejour
    Franco di Santo
    Maynor Figueroa
    James McCarthy

Bale is the first to go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He was wrongly booked today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

If he wasn't known for it it wouldn't have been yellow imo. But if that discourages divers then so be it.

Red for Nasri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

But if the actual divers divers (defoe and sessengnon) werent booked then how does it discourage it. He was clipped and fouled. Penalty.

Its a case of the ref having a predetermined notion of what certain players are going to do which completely contradicts one of the most important aspects of their job. ie. being impartial

4 costly yellows. 2 reds also.

Bale and Nolan costly for a few fantasy teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

MrKingsley wrote: »
    But if the actual divers divers (defoe and sessengnon) werent booked then how does it discourage it. He was clipped and fouled. Penalty.

Its a case of the ref having a predetermined notion of what certain players are going to do which completely contradicts one of the most important aspects of their job. ie. being impartial
    Great to say in theory but in practice, if referees aren't scrutinising the likes of Bale, Young and Suarez more heavily, they're going to get even more decisions wrong.

CSF wrote: »
    Great to say in theory but in practice, if referees aren't scrutinising the likes of Bale, Young and Suarez more heavily, they're going to get even more decisions wrong.

That is absolute bull. The only reason that bale got booked today was because of the 'reputation' that proceeded him thanks to sky, the bbc and forums such as this contributing to it.

The whole point of what i said was that if defoe (whose dive was disgraceful) and sessengnon(who was at it all game) dive around for 90 minutes then why not punish them?

If a player dives then then deserve to be booked no doubt. But the name on the back of their jersey should have nothing to do with it

That is absolute bull. The only reason that bale got booked today was because of the 'reputation' that proceeded him thanks to sky, the bbc and forums such as this contributing to it.

The whole point of what i said was that if defoe (whose dive was disgraceful) and sessengnon(who was at it all game) dive around for 90 minutes then why not punish them?

If a player dives then then deserve to be booked no doubt. But the name on the back of their jersey should have nothing to do with it
    I want all players who dive to be booked. Ideally the refs would catch everyone. But putting extra scrutiny on players who are known to engage in such ****e makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely it all evens out over the season no? and this is just one of his many dives being evened out :)

CSF wrote: »
    But putting extra scrutiny on players who are known to engage in such ****e makes sense.

Yes IF they dive. If they dont and are fouled then why continue to punish them?

To my mind referees have a shortlist of players who dive and it is only those players who ever get booked, even though there are players who are far worse offenders.

And this 'it evens out over a season' is a crock. Just an excuse for referees to get away with making bad calls time and time again

• Advertisement

To my mind referees have a shortlist of players who dive and it is only those players who ever get booked, even though there are players who are far worse offenders.

And this 'it evens out over a season' is a crock. Just an excuse for referees to get away with making bad calls time and time again
    I'm not saying players should be booked even when they are fouled. I'm just saying referees need to be that bit more mindful when players go down in the box, of players they know get themselves involved in that ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The ref didn't see it and think "that's a foul but he's due a yellow". The closest he might get is " I'm not sure but he's flinging himself down every week so theres a good chance its a dive"

The closest he might get is " I'm not sure but he's flinging himself down every week so theres a good chance its a dive"

But thats my very point. He doesnt fling himself down every week. Each of the yellows he has received for diving could (and possibly should) have been given the other way and the tacklers been booked. But because of the hooplah that the media make out of it when a player gets booked for 'diving' his number is marked.

Book everyone who dives yes but dont go onto the pitch with ideas of what you think players are going to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What if you are fouled but the contact doesn't bring you down, your dive does?

I don't really think Bale is as innocent as the majority feel after the Sunderland game.

The contact is clear, no doubt, but it still looks like he threw himself to the ground for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

noodler wrote: »
    What if you are fouled but the contact doesn't bring you down, your dive does?

I don't really think Bale is as innocent as the majority feel after the Sunderland game.

The contact is clear, no doubt, but it still looks like he threw himself to the ground for me.

Agree with this. I think he could have stayed up.

Wonder who will be first to 10 yellows. Tiote must be worth a shout.

Advertisement