Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

separation anxiety. Baby crys when I leave the room!

Options
  • 29-12-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any advice on separation anxiety? That's the name I found from google anyway!
    Baby is 14 months, always been great, cried very little, went to bed fine and would sleep through the night regularly enough, or if not it was just a soother that needed putting back.
    Now when we put him in bed he roars crying because he knows we're going to leave the room. We've gotten it somewhat sorted because now we leave him, and if he cries, he usually stops about 10 seconds after I leave. The odd time he doesn't, so I'd go back in a few minutes later, just chat to him for a minute and leave. Eventually he'll settle.
    But it's gotten to the stage where if he's in the sitting room and I walk down to the kitchen he'll cry. Even if both me and his mother are sitting with him and one of us leave, he'll cry. Go from being happy and playing, to crying. Kitchen is only a couple of meters away, but has a baby gate across it.
    Anyone got any advice on how to deal with it, or if it happened to you, did it last long?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think they all go through it, some worse than others though! It does pass, i got the same at creche dropoff for a few weeks. Very hard, but she forgot about me as soon as the door was closed (I checked through the windows).

I think what can help is not leaving without either saying goodbye, or telling them where you are and when you will be back. They can understand what you say at that age, so tell them what is going on.

And a lot of peek-a-boo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son is still like this at times and he's almost 2. Somedays I can't even go to the toilet. He wraps himself around my leg and I have to drag him after me. However I've also found that if I explain things to him he's much better. He now knows that I'm going to work in the morning and he waves me off without any fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Agree with above posters explain what's happening where your going and you'll be back but don't drag it out. On days their really bad maybe just bring him with you everywhere that way he knows that when he really needs you and they reasurment he will get it. I think if he's having a really bad day if you force it and leave it will just stress him out and make him more anxious of you leaving at other times.
    It's just a phase and lots of love will help it pass quicker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a phase I never knew about till it happened, so a relief when I found out it's normal! I'm explaining things to him now, he seems to be ok some of the time. Strange how fast it came on in the first place

Advertisement