Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elvis goes Up & Over

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hey Elvis, Just catching up on your log, Fair Play to you and the lads, Inspirational stuff and well done , I hope your Mam gets better soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hey Elvis, Just catching up on your log, Fair Play to you and the lads, Inspirational stuff and well done , I hope your Mam gets better soon!!

Thanks for that !

Still on tablets, diet still rubbish, i get back to normal once the tablets are finished. I think i have two days left on them.

Champions League is back on tv so a good reason to turbo in the evenings.

I'm signing up to Trainer Road next week. Looking at least Sept to Crimbo i don't think i used the trubo once and this year i really want to get a lot of sessions done. I want to hit Jan in a lot better shape that i did this Jan and make the earlier months of 2014 easier and more positive.

I'm just to have a busy April so Jan/Feb/March need to be a lot more productive !

Final day on the tablets and boy am i looking forward to getting back out on the road tomorrow:)

My next goal is the Clontraf half marathon ( winter edition ) on Nov 23rd. Weather depending i'm aiming for a PB.

The next 9 weeks will be HR runs at lunch during the week with an LSR & interval session at the weekend. I might put in a hill session as well. They'll be very little swimming and some turbo in the evenings.

I got word today as well that the other two lads are in agreement about what to do for Up & Over for 2014 and i'm well chuffed about that:)

I'm back:cool:

I nice gentle 5.8k run at lunch. I didn't time it i only kept an eye on my HR that was a little high but after being away for a few weeks i expected that.

I hope to that again tomorrow, off sat and an LSR on Sunday !

• Advertisement

Day 1 of my "diet", i have a weight in my mind i want to reach by mid December.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Day 1 of my "diet", i have a weight in my mind i want to reach by mid December.

What did you eat today?

What did you eat today?

Coffee
    Scrambled eggs with chorizo
    Homemade minestrone soup
    Homemade slowcooked chilli.

No snacks at all and lots of fluids which was mainly water, some herbal tea and one can of diet coke.

Its about finding a balance diet wise and a majoritry of my food is home cooked with sauces etc from scratch. That way i know whats going in !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Its about finding a balance diet wise and a majoritry of my food is home cooked with sauces etc from scratch. That way i know whats going in !

Nail on the head right there my man!

And I'll bet you anything they taste a lot better too.

BTW, my secret for slowcooked chili, Coffee.

Instead of topping off the ingredients with water, use homewbrewed coffee, adds some richness and depth to the sauce.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Nail on the head right there my man!

And I'll bet you anything they taste a lot better too.

BTW, my secret for slowcooked chili, Coffee.

Instead of topping off the ingredients with water, use homewbrewed coffee, adds some richness and depth to the sauce.

I use a small amount of very dark choclate............my chilli is EPIC:cool:

Oh and good smoked paprika !

• Advertisement

HR based run at lunch, the 1st of many ! My fat burning range is 120 to 130 BPM so pace means nothing for the next while ( apart from a weekly interval session )

6.65k at 125 BPM, it was pi$$ easy at a very slow pace. The main problem was actually holding back.

I plan four of these sessions a week until Christmas !

I'll also be adding some HR based turbo sessions as well from tomorrow night. 110 to 120 BPM with the focus on turning over the legs and keeping the cedance high !

Day 2 of the diet went perfectly, here's the run down of my intake. The only thing i don't list is 1.5 L of water taken in during the day.

Coffee
    Mango with natural yogurt
    Homemade chilli
    Apple & cinnamon tea
    Homemade meatballs & sprouts
    Can of diet coke

Before i go onto day 3, i forgot to put in my starting weight of 99.5kg

Diet day 3.

A good day really and blood sugars are levelling off which means i have more energy in the mornings. Gig tonight and i'll being a little amount of food with me and some sweetner. All i get at gigs is fried food or sandwiches and there's never any sweetner, only sugar.

Food intake for yesterday

Coffee
    Homemade garnola & natural yogurt
    Homemade chilli
    Cajun chicken with green beans & broccoli

Fluid intake was good with water, sparlking water and one can of diet coke. No training as mrs jones was working at the ploughing and not home until 8 so i was busy with the little ones !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey Elvis, good luck on the diet, just wondering about the can of diet coke every day? Just asking because the gf is doing a study in the obesity centre in St Vincents hospital looking at the effects of different foods on weight loss and they are finding out that diet coke (or any diet drinks) are of no benefit. Would probably be better off drinking a can of normal coke instead. Something to do with the aspartame (artificial sweetener) in diet drinks blocking the release of a hormone in the stomach that aids weight loss. There is a lot of scientific reasons behind it but I don't understand them!

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey Elvis, good luck on the diet, just wondering about the can of diet coke every day? Just asking because the gf is doing a study in the obesity centre in St Vincents hospital looking at the effects of different foods on weight loss and they are finding out that diet coke (or any diet drinks) are of no benefit. Would probably be better off drinking a can of normal coke instead. Something to do with the aspartame (artificial sweetener) in diet drinks blocking the release of a hormone in the stomach that aids weight loss. There is a lot of scientific reasons behind it but I don't understand them!

No i'm diabetic ! A can of coke has 33g of sugar ( trying to remember off the top of my head ). My recommended daily intake is 45g ( half of the normal 90g ) so its waaaaaaay too much for my system.

Only time i have full sugar coke is when i've had a hypo ( to get my blood sugars back to normal ) or during a long distance event to get sugar into my body quick !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No i'm diabetic ! A can of coke has 33g of sugar ( trying to remember off the top of my head ). My recommended daily intake is 45g ( half of the normal 90g ) so its waaaaaaay too much for my system.

Only time i have full sugar coke is when i've had a hypo ( to get my blood sugars back to normal ) or during a long distance event to get sugar into my body quick !
    Could you give up your can of coke altogether though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Thought that might have something to do with it elvis. Would be better off cutting out the diet coke completely though. Fizzy drinks are not good for weight loss at all, either diet or normal.

Oryx wrote: »
    Could you give up your can of coke altogether though?

Ya don't ask for much:D I would but not my coffee !

Lets cut out the "fizzy" drinks for an initial 4 week peroid and see is there any difference.

I use a different type of sweetner in my coffee so i'll be cutting out aspartame. Some also say caffine can slow down weight lose but i ain't giving up my coffee for anyone !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I have a huge problem with drinking far too much coffee.

I used to use a drip coffee machine and I could quite happily polish off a full pot of coffee while sitting at my desk in the morning. What I did to change it was buy one of those Nescafe Dolce Gusto (similar to a Nespresso) machines, and that way I have to make each cup individually and it also works out more expensive so I find myself drinking far less.

Also, it's far nicer coffee, but that's just my personal taste.

• Advertisement

pointer28 wrote: »
    I have a huge problem with drinking far too much coffee.

I used to use a drip coffee machine and I could quite happily polish off a full pot of coffee while sitting at my desk in the morning. What I did to change it was buy one of those Nescafe Dolce Gusto (similar to a Nespresso) machines, and that way I have to make each cup individually and it also works out more expensive so I find myself drinking far less.

Also, it's far nicer coffee, but that's just my personal taste.

When i worked in Dublin i was drinking about two pints of coffee some days:o mainly drip as i got it at a good price.

Where i am now i can't get to a coffee shop so its a coffee machine in work. I'd be happy with two nice cups a day and plan to get a new French press tomorrow and have one in the morning and one in the afternoon !

I also have a sweetner that does contain a decent amount of calories but no sugars which is perfect for a diabetic !!

Diet Day 4.

Wow that was one long ass day ! Gig last night and i got to bed at 03:25 last night. Extra coffee was needed just to function after midnight !

Coffee
    Scrambled eggs
    Tuna salad
    Tea ( Always on a Thursday afternoon to listen to food on Moncriff )
    Pork chops, sprouts, green beens & two pieces of gourmet pudding ( smoked white & chorizo style )
    Coffee
    4 Goujons ( i forgot my chicken slices and needed something small )

Overall another good day but very busy with mrs jones working at the ploughing and her being very tired due to the fact that no 3 is on the way:D

I must fight a weekend of food !!! Finished early so thinking of a quck cycle this evening with a run tomorrow and Sunday. Just easing myself back in as after the runs my legs have been sore, Up & Over really took more out of me than i knew.

Oh and signed up for a marathon in Nov:)

Diet day 5

Wow i was wrecked yesterday after only 3 hrs sleep ! Since Up & Over i've had very little time with mrs jones due to both our work etc so we had a date night ! A chinese and 3 bottles of beer:)

Coffee ( lots of it )
    Homemade granola with nat yogurt
    Homemade chicken soup and 2 slices of batch bread ( my weakness )
    can of sugar free red bull
    Spring rolls, satay chicken and noodles, 3 bottles of beer

Not a perfect day for the body but good for the mind, i really enjoyed getting out for a meal with mrs jones.

Diet Day 6

Up early with the kids and got them breakfast. I let my wife have a lie in and I enjoyed some time on the couch with them watching a movie. We had to head to Portlaoise and of course I grabbed a coffee. Quiet evening before I had to head to my gig, I brought two herbal tea bags with me a sipped tea as I worked.

One problem with the weekend in fluid intake, its not as good as my work days.

Homemade granola & natural yogurt
    Coffee ( large and strong )
    Two poached eggs & 3 turkey rashers ( that are yum yum )
    Pork fillet stir fry

Diet Day 7

I was jumped on at about 9am by the brats, daddy daddy get up we’re going to the zoo !!!! One thing training for Up & Over got in the way of was family days out and not that its over for a while I’m enjoying days away with them. I had to go get stuff for our lunch and when I got back it was a rushed breakfast of cereal and milk, which wasn’t great sugar wise but hey every day can’t be perfect !

We had a great day out and its good not to have to get up on a Sunday and worry about fitting in a session and not letting the kids down with doing something.

Food wise the weekend is never going to be perfect BUT if its an improvement on what it used to be we’re on a winner. Sunday evening normally meant crap, lots of crap and some booze. But last night it was a sambo and a bag of crisps which is a major improvement !

I’m cutting back on bread, pasta & potatos but I’m not cutting them out as you have to be sensible and you can’t avoid those groups along with the fact that with the longer training they’ll be needed in the future but I won’t eat the volumes I previously did.. Rice is a no go for me as it rockets my blood sugar. I’ll introduce bulgar, quinola, sweet potato as the weeks go by as well.

Fluid intake was varied but rubbish .

Cheerios & low fat milk
    Bag of crisps & can of sugar free red bull ( to wake me ass up )
    Coffee & a small roll with ham
    Half bottle of diet coke
    Bacon, Cabbage & poatao
    Ham sambo & bag of crisps.

Now that the 1st week is out of the way I’ll get more training going. I find it very hard to focus on eating properly and training at the same time. Turbo this evening !

Oh and the 4 week experiment of removing diet coke/pepsi max from my diet has begun !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

How's about some fruit elvis? Or nuts? I don't know your portion sizes of course but you seem to be eating very little. I wouldn't be able to survive without snacking on fruit, seeds and nuts during the day. I'm also trying to give the diet coke the boot. It's sooo tough though, I fail miserably every time. I get moody and headachy. It's my worst addiction I think. I'm down to one can a day now. Will try to eliminate it fully again but cant bring myself to do it yet.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    How's about some fruit elvis? Or nuts? I don't know your portion sizes of course but you seem to be eating very little. I wouldn't be able to survive without snacking on fruit, seeds and nuts during the day. I'm also trying to give the diet coke the boot. It's sooo tough though, I fail miserably every time. I get moody and headachy. It's my worst addiction I think. I'm down to one can a day now. Will try to eliminate it fully again but cant bring myself to do it yet.

I'm actually full. If i'm at home and i want a snack i'll have a slice of turkey !

I have to be careful of fruit and sugars but i do have nuts ( cashew yum ). I'll actaully have some cashew in my stir fry this evening.

Diet day 8

The start of my 2nd week and its getting a bit easier. The sugar cravings are gone and I’m waking up a lot easier. I did have some Pringles last night but other than that a good day. Water intake wasn’t great until I got hime.

Coffee
    Scrambled eggs
    Homemade chilli ( grabbed from the freezer as I had nothing else ready)
    Coffee
    Homemade turkey stir fry
    Small amount of Pringles

• Advertisement

All my gear washed, all my gear put away, wheels changed on the bike, wheels pumped and garmin charged……………its time to get back training !!

8k "run" eh more of a jog actually at lunch today. Average HR of 127 BPM which was within what I have to do. I really enjoyed it and its good to have a goal to work to. Nov 17th marathon in Sixmilebridge and half marathon in Clontraf on Nov 23rd.

I want to keep my mileage up and my HR where its meant to be to burn fat. I have a quiet month ahead gig wise so the weekend sessions are going to be great when I know I don’t have to go out to work that night.

Run at lunch again tomorrow and i'm finally going to get on the turbo after a number of times of failing to do so.

Advertisement