Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elvis goes Up & Over

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

VO2 Max test this morning at http://www.leinstersportsclinic.ie and the results aren't as bad as i feared.

My weight is 105 KG and thee ideal weight is 85 to 92kg

My body fat is 29%, what i need to work towards is 13% to 19%

My fat weight is 30.4kg, what i need to work towards is 12kg to 17kg

My lean weight is 74.6k and ideal for me is 72kg to 77kg

I was told that i was like any athlete who comes back after the off season in the condition i'm in ( ok i have more fat ) with good lean muscle mass and just needing to work on getting the body fat level down. Keep the muscle mass, drop the fat ( belly ) and at the same time gain fitness.

My VO2 number is 40 which is average, i don't mind that as i haven't done much in 10 weeks or so. This number will raise as my fitness builds, my fat drops and when i hit 36 in March thats actually above average:D

My max heart rate was 168 BPM

Now the important bit, how to drop this weight with targeted training.

The best heart rate for me to loss weight is different for cycling and running.

For cycling i have to work in the range 116 to 126 BPM
    For running i have to work in the range 126 to 136 BPM.

These may seem low but as fitness builds the pace at which i'll be able to work out at will increase.

Overall the information is really good and will help me build fitness and drop weight by targeting my workouts. I'll be back in March for another test and we'll see how the numbers change and if talking a scientific slant to my training will benefit me !

sorry for dragging up an old post, but I'm looking for a bit of advice!
    if you have an hour to spend and you want to used if for fat lose, are you better to run/cycle as far as you can or spend it in your fat burning hr zone?

best of luck with the challenge, it would nearly being me to my knees even thinking about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Donelson wrote: »
    sorry for dragging up an old post, but I'm looking for a bit of advice!
    if you have an hour to spend and you want to used if for fat lose, are you better to run/cycle as far as you can or spend it in your fat burning hr zone?

best of luck with the challenge, it would nearly being me to my knees even thinking about it!

Stay in your burning zone, it will make sure you are burning the max amount of fat possible and are training your body to burn fat. You can do it on both the run and the bike so alternate to keep the legs fresh and you'll get more sessions in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Can I ask why the need for nose clips? I used to wear them due to serious nasal problems after swims when I started training for my first IM and started spending longer in the pool but I hated them. I swapped them out for an after swim nasal wash and a blast of flixonase and hey presto no problems since (except when I forget to do my post swim nostril wash).

griffin100 wrote: »
    Can I ask why the need for nose clips? I used to wear them due to serious nasal problems after swims when I started training for my first IM and started spending longer in the pool but I hated them. I swapped them out for an after swim nasal wash and a blast of flixonase and hey presto no problems since (except when I forget to do my post swim nostril wash).

I've always had nose problems and 2 operations later its still not perfect. If i swim without the clip my nose is uncomfortable for hrs afterwards and i spend the day sneezing and sniffling. The clip stopped all that and i couldn't imagine doing any long sessions without it now.

Ah ok. I used to have real bad sinus problems after longish swims - it came to a head when for two days after my first 3,000m swim I had a blocked nose and headache. I did some online searches and after trial and error came up with my patented after swim ritual of washing each nostril through with clean water followed by a blast of flixonase. Works well for me. Might be worth a try.

• Advertisement

Out on the road this morning and kept it at 5k to work on my HR, it went very well and i had an average of 134 BPM and took 6 min off my time. I'm almost running at my LSR pace so fingers crossed within a week or two i'll be able to do a constant 16k at that BPM.

Little one is sick so off to collect her from the child minders and super daddy is in action for the rest of the day ( i might sneak in another 5 or 7k later )

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Swim at lunch and it was a pull buoy sesssion.

I feel my swimming is coming along and imagine this time two years ago i couldn't do a length in that pool. In the last 2 days i've done 200:D

Sure i remember that well Mark :D

elvis_n_zpsf1eb26eb.jpg

tinydave wrote: »
    Sure i remember that well Mark :D

elvis_n_zpsf1eb26eb.jpg

Thats some double chin:(

Quick turbo this morning and the 1st with my cadence sensor.

Once again i did like i was told, dropped down the gears and spun out the legs.

40 min with avg cadance of 81 and HR at 119 so the HR is spot on and anything above 80 on the cadance is a building block. I was thinking it would be about 75.

Short swim at lunch, just 1k but focusing on technique !

1k swim done and it was rather enjoyable, 26 min which is right on track to do just under a sub 1hr 2k as part of the building plan for Up & Over.

I noticed at times i was almost forgetting to kick and i need to put some kicking into my pull buoy session once a week from now on.

Stroke was long and breathing/head position is getting better with every session, jebus look how bad my head position was in the pic above:o

Anyway 15k LSR tomorrow done to HR so it will take a while but who cares i'm not up for 100m sprints any time soon !

• Advertisement

Are you wearing a wetsuit for the U&O swim or are you going skins?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Are you wearing a wetsuit for the U&O swim or are you going skins?

No wet suit, i think we'll be wearing our branded tri suits ! You'd overheat too quick in the wet suit i think.

Plan today was for 14.4, i did 15.1k.

Felt fine with HR at 133 which was perfect ! I threw some podcasts on the ipod and listened to them while running, very relaxing !

Glass of red tonight relaxing and run or cycle tomorrow depending on the weather.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Plan today was for 14.4, i did 15.1k.

Felt fine with HR at 133 which was perfect ! I threw some podcasts on the ipod and listened to them while running, very relaxing !

Glass of red tonight relaxing and run or cycle tomorrow depending on the weather.
    Listen to you "a run was relaxing..." you've crossed a line, man!

Oryx wrote: »
    Listen to you "a run was relaxing..." you've crossed a line, man!

I hope so because i'm going to spend a lot of time running in the next 8 months !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

40 min with avg cadance of 81 and HR at 119 so the HR is spot on and anything above 80 on the cadance is a building block. I was thinking it would be about 75.

One thing I've noticed is that my avg turbo cadence and road cadence seem to vary. So on the turbo on my long slogs I'll sit at around 84-85rpm. On the road I'm quite happy spinning away at 94-95.

I'm not sure if this is because the bike moves slightly under you on the road so you don't rock your hips and can therefore maintain the higher cadence or what exactly the reason is, but next time you do a road spin see how they compare.

Weekly totals time, they are still low but i'm building back up in Jan and its all about getting back on the saddle, getting the numbers up slowly and avoiding injury and colds/flu at this time of year !

Swim - 4.6k
    Cycle - 30k
    Run - 25k

Those numbers will grow again this week and the sessions will get longer/faster

Swim at lunch today, i was meant to run this morning but wasn't feeling well at all so shelved it.

I still wasn't feeling great at lunch but went to the pool anyway and said that i'd give it a go and see how i got on.

Well i got in and the water was fcuking freezing !!! I got ahat etc on and got going to keep warm !

Nice session with a total of 1950m, i'm edging closer to that magic 2k on my lunch break and have increased it from 1600m to 1950m in two weeks so 2k is well within my reach and a good soild lunch session.

It was a touch session but good as there were a few in the pool and it made the water choppy which was good for breathing as i won't be swimming in calm conditions on a normal race day !

I was thinking of running tonight ( i'm in work until 8 ) but i think i'll leave it for this evening and see do i feel better in the morning.

Long swim in the morning and i'm hoping for 2.5 to 3k as 3k is the Jan target and i'd like to be close to it coming to the middle of the month.

No long swim yesterday morning as i'm having car problems and i'm grabbing a lift off Mrs Jones so i only got out for a run last night.

6k with HR at 132 BPH which is spot on. The body and mind want to go faster but i have to stick to this, i'm bringing down the time bit by bit which shows that the fitness is growing.

Food intake is going well overall, booze is at a minimum and crap intake is down big time !

1st weigh in will be on the morning of Feb 3, i'm going to do a mountly weigh in and the waist will be measured again at my next VO2 test at the end of march.

Swim at lunch today, 2k if i can get it done in time and a turbo this evening with the football.

Ya know that feeling when you get out at lunch, get to the pool, get in, get undressed, open your bag and..........no shorts.............b0ll0x !!!

A wasted lunch that had me in a mood all afternoon !

So i got home, dinner and got the kids to bed. Turbo time !

50 min with cadence at 84 RPM and HR at 121. I was happy with that, i'm building it slowly with 40 min sessions last week and 50 min this week and upwards.

Off to get insoles tomorrow, have to collect mrs jones from work and Trilogy committee meeting so i'll grab a late turbo if i can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ya know that feeling when you get out at lunch, get to the pool, get in, get undressed, open your bag and..........no shorts.............b0ll0x !!!

A wasted lunch that had me in a mood all afternoon !

So i got home, dinner and got the kids to bed. Turbo time !

50 min with cadence at 84 RPM and HR at 121. I was happy with that, i'm building it slowly with 40 min sessions last week and 50 min this week and upwards.

Off to get insoles tomorrow, have to collect mrs jones from work and Trilogy committee meeting so i'll grab a late turbo if i can.

Forgot my towel and my office shoes this morning. Had to buy a hand towel at the pool and text someone to bring a spare pair of shoes in.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Forgot my towel and my office shoes this morning. Had to buy a hand towel at the pool and text someone to bring a spare pair of shoes in.

At least you got your swim in !!

You need to buy underwear that looks like swimwear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I've had this happen over the Christmas. So I've thrown an old pair of togs into the bottom of the bag alongside the spare goggles in case of emergency. Also could be useful in the event of a shorts malfunction.

BTH wrote: »
    I've had this happen over the Christmas. So I've thrown an old pair of togs into the bottom of the bag alongside the spare goggles in case of emergency. Also could be useful in the event of a shorts malfunction.

I've been waiting to get a locker in work to keep all that in and i got it yesterday so i'll be keeping spares in there !

A busy few day kicked off yesterday when i went to get my orthotics in Leinster Sports Clinic. I got full biomechanical assessment and gait analysis and orthotics.

I was told i run on my heel and when my feet were scanned you couldn't even see my toes at all:o i need extra cushioning around my heel and it might mean a different model of runner ( but i'm staying with Brooks )

The funny thing is that my right leg is 3 to 4mm shorter than my left leg so my right orthotic had to be raised slightly to accomadate for that !

The good thing was at the end of all that i left with my orthotics and didn't have to wait around days or weeks for them:D

7.5 run last night with HR at 131 which once again was spot on. The runs are very slow but it mean i am spending time of the feet, clocking up distance and recovery is easier.

I wore my new orthotics on the run and they felt great. I hope to grab a turbo session this evening but i'm busy off buying a new turbo for my car:(

Trip to Galway tomorrow to scope out public cycle route for Up & Over, the 1st half of the run route and pop into Amphibian King to get some goodies:D

Must be the season for busted turbos, mine is gone as well. Just finished paying for the clutch and flywheel on a 08 car. Grrrr.

Oryx wrote: »
    Must be the season for busted turbos, mine is gone as well. Just finished paying for the clutch and flywheel on a 08 car. Grrrr.

Its done and feels like a new car !

Also done is the public cycle route for Up & Over and 3 of 5 marathons mapped and roughly measured !

• Advertisement

Weekly totals time and they aren't ever worth putting up:(

Not a great week with turbo going in the car, full day lost sat doing out routes and having meetings for Up & Over, i had a 50th party on Fri night and more meetings yesterday !!

Swim - 1950m
    Cycle - 23k
    Run - 13.5k

On top of all that my diet wasn't great.

But onwards and upwards with a better week this week !

Advertisement