Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on a good sports tourer

• 29-12-2012 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Hi I am very interested in getting a sports tourer or decent sports bike. I am 6foot so needs to be comfortable to ride.
    Have full licence for 9 years and Insurance for anything just can't pick out anything.

I have a budget of €3000 and honestly want something 2002 or newer if possible.

Any help would be appreciated .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Triumph Sprint ST955i. The 02-04 are the ones to get (a good bit more power than the earlier bikes, and a few minor issues were sorted, but the fuel tank is a bit smaller and they're a bit more thirsty.) The 1050cc bikes from 2005 on weren't as good (according to people who've owned both)

I'm not selling mine though :)

PS: the 955i Sprint RS is a bit more sporty riding position, has no factory luggage option, but that might not be an issue for you. The RS is much more rare though.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

vfr800?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

i've this k4 gsxr in sports touring trim: adjustable footrests, high bars, heated grips, gel seat, double bubble screen, and topbox!..... comfortable like a fazer 1000, but lighter. also have a zzr14, so might sell one of them as they do the same job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sv 1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you posted that the week before christmas you'd be sorted. 2 nice looking VFR's fully loaded with luggage came up on done deal for €3k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you posted that the week before christmas you'd be sorted. 2 nice looking VFR's fully loaded with luggage came up on done deal for €3k

I know I was on and about to call and it was up sold.
    Cheap at €3 especially for a honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

fatbast wrote: »
    i've this k4 gsxr in sports touring trim: adjustable footrests, high bars, heated grips, gel seat, double bubble screen, and topbox!..... comfortable like a fazer 1000, but lighter. also have a zzr14, so might sell one of them as they do the same job.
    What sort of money for the Kawasaki they look real nice

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

What sort of money for the Kawasaki they look real nice

About 6500 less than 5k on it and some nice extras inc bar risers, center stand nice pipes. Not seen rain. Bit over budget tho!

If its sports tourer you want, what about a blackbird?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4107041

A bit old, but in your budget

This too:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4186173

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Always liked the Blackbird, especialy in bule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If its sports tourer you want, what about a blackbird?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4107041

Now thats a nice sports tourer for that money, very fast bike and eats up the miles.

Now thats a nice sports tourer for that money, very fast bike and eats up the miles.

Eats rear tyres too. Great bikes though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Man that's nice! I'd love to buy that.. Serious bike for the money and a minter!

OP, i'd be more worried about the milage/condition rather than get hung up on the year. Unless the model of bike had an important design change after a specific year.

Had a loan of a Blackbird a few years ago, for a couple of weeks. A good bit heavier/more powerful than the 600 I had at the time, but that was easy enough to get used to.
    Didn't like the linked brakes at all though, front felt spongy (OK stopping power, but not good enough for a sports bike) and having the rear pedal apply some front brake felt weird at slow speed around town and caused fork dive when coming to a stop. If I bought one I'd ditch the system and plumb the master cylinders at each end directly to the calipers.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ninja900 wrote: »
    If I bought one I'd ditch the system and plumb the master cylinders at each end directly to the calipers.
    I don't think its that simple, the system only works part of the other caliper, the front caliper has 3 pots and 2 are from the front lever and the third from the rear brake.
    It can be done but it needs a little time and money to do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Blackbird really are a fantastic bike....I suppose if you are not use to the CBS (combined braking system) it would put you off a little until you get used to it but the same can be said for ABS.

I would deffo take a look at that blackbird for that money.

ABS (if done right) shouldn't interfere until you need it. CBS is sticking its nose in every time you use either brake. I put a few hundred miles on that BB, I didn't like what the system was designed to do and don't think I'd have ever got used to it. It only has advantages for incompetent riders, for a skilled rider it takes an element of control away, as well as giving a really crap feel to the front brake.

You'd need to get custom brake lines made up to get rid of it, but all the redundant gubbins and valves that were part of the system might have a high secondhand value...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 first58

i think you cant go wrong with a VFR, its more tourer than sport but theres nothing id rather be riding on a long journey..

• Advertisement

I presume you mean the pre-VTEC 800s. The 750s were great bikes in their day but would be getting long in the tooth now, and the VTEC 800s didn't get good reviews at all.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 first58

i have a 1990 750 and its totally bulletproof, ive often toured on it and it can keep up with any of the newer tourers but i guess it is a bit long in the tooth for some, alot of people say to stay away from the VTEC but i had a 03 for 2 years and i found it to be a great bike, i did have a few issues the biggest being the starter giving up but that can happen on any bike, they are a bit thirsty but they look great, ride great and i still regret selling it when i see one..:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was almost set on getting a vfr a while back but when I drove it I did not like it. For a 100+ bhp bike it did not feel that fast, and I really did not like the way the vtec kicks in - and I have had 2 Honda vtec cars... It comes in too low I think at 6k rpm and its quite a thump.

I think the new VFR1200 looks like a great bike, but they are still pretty expensive..

Advertisement