Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off work injured

• 29-12-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Ive been off work for a week with broken hand. I'm just wondering if I can get the sack for being out too long. My employer is prob the worst for employee benefits no sick pay etc. it's seasonal industry so would be on a three day week at the moment.

However it's prob gonna be another 3weeks at least till I can attempt work.

Just wondering can they let me go ?
    Have med. certs. Etc etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends, how long have you been working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Greenlaser

Nody wrote: »
    Depends, how long have you been working there?

Think I'm there 11months now.

Is this where you tell me your fine as long as your there a year hah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Greenlaser wrote: »

Think I'm there 11months now.

Is this where you tell me your fine as long as your there a year hah.

Afraid so, also sounds like you are part time. Most employers do not pay during sick leave, you can recieve benefit from dept if social welfare. Did you break your hand at work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Pretty much Greenlaser, until you've made it past a year you're on very shaky ground with rights basically. They can't normally let you go due to the medicial issue alone but they may use other reasons (due to the fact you're on medical) to let you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

I have some info that may be of use to you:

I always thought a broken arm was an automatic not able to work. But my mother broke hers recently and loves her job particularly at Christmas. She asked her doctor to certify that she could go to work as long as no heavy lifting.

We didn't think HR (she works under the county council) would accept it as she has a full on cast and sling but they did.

So if you're really anxious about the job maybe try to get back to work ASAP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭TheminxIRL

I think you are fine as its frowned upon to let someone go due to illness.

We have a staff member who started in Sept '11 and went off sick mid April '12 and is still off.

My boss hates her and thought this was the ideal opportunity to get rid of her but I had to contact our external HR advisory on going about this and its not happening.

We arranged welfare meetings which she refused to attend on medical grounds, we had her examined by an independent doctor and his report was in her favour so unless a doctor specifically states she will never be able to carry out her duties in the future the company cannot get rid of her.

Personally I am delighted because I felt what was being done was sneaky and underhand.

Oh and she is on a three day week also so even being part time doesnt affect her rights

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would keep communication lines open with work and maybe offer to do light paperwork or answer phones for them during this period

Strictly speaking no company is obliged to keep your job open for you if you are unable to work ,regardless of the service you have.
    With less than 1 years notice you are on even shakier ground as they can let you go even if you have missed no days.

That said most companies in my experience will work with an employee who has a genuine cert for 4 weeks absence and if you are seen as anxious to get back to work I imagine they will have bigger fish to fry

Advertisement