Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat 2009 - Rear Shock Replacement

Options
  • 29-12-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

I have a 2009 1.9 diesel Passat Bluemotion with a failed rear shock. I read that this is easy to replace, but upon removing the wheel I see that the nut for the lower mount bolt to release the shock is hidden behind a cover at the rear of the brake disk/rotor.

In other words it seems I would have to remove the caliper and brake disk to get access to this nut to remove the shock absorber. A pity really as the it seems the B5 Passat had both nut & bolt exposed for easy removal. Furthermore I read that because of the electronic operated 'handbrake' releasing the caliper is difficult.

Hopefully this poor photo will help clarify.

Please let me know if there is some workaround here OR if this is a job for the VW dealer. Perhaps the nut is somehow bonded to the plate covering the rear of the rotor and will not fall when I remove the bolt.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pat

See PHOTO below.

Rshock.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

There is no nut. The bolt threads directly into the hub carrier.

Advertisement