Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista SP2 Laptop restarting when shut down

Options
  • 29-12-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭

Got a really annoying problem with a laptop which I've been unable to solve.

The laptop (Asus F5VL) is currently running Vista SP2. It is unable to turn it off via the windows button - selecting shutdown only seems to make it restart.

I've tried a few things to solve this.

Firstly, I've reinstalled Windows and the computer seems to be up to date in terms of updates - according to Windows Update.

Secondly, I went into the Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter -> Properties -> Power Management. I then unchecked the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' checkbox.

I also went into Control Panel -> Advanced System Settings -> Startup & Recover -> Settings -> System Failure. I then unchecked the box which stated 'Automatically restart'.

This results in stead of a restart that I get a BSOD which states:
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Some stuff about then about adding new hardware and drivers etc.

Then is states:

STOP: 0x000000D1(0XCFF30023,0X000000FF,0X00000008,0XCFF30023)

Any ideas as to how I resolve this? The 'net is swarming with people in a similar position. However, I've yet to find a fix that works.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Also just tried there to roll back the Wireless Driver to a previous version - made no difference :(

Just checked the bios there. Sys Info states it is AMI V.203. However, when I go to the download centre for my laptop it states there are 3 bios updates available and 204 is there first release.

I'm also not sure if updating the bios will resolve the problem. Hence I'm not comfortable doing this unless necessary.

Just tried to reflash the bios with the latest version using the guide from the manufacturer of the laptop:
    http://support.asus.com/Documents/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=F5VL&s=95&hashedid=1PQNlXObYCIOnM44&os=&no=1802

It initially works okay down to part G and then the machine shutdown and upon reboot it refuses to recognise the new Bios Version.

Got it flashed. Tried again a few times and it eventually cleared its throat and installed the updated bios. Still got the restart issue though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

A few thoughts, have you installed anything like a wireless remote?
    Go into msconfig disable everything on start up? See if it still happens

eoing1 wrote: »
    A few thoughts, have you installed anything like a wireless remote?
    Go into msconfig disable everything on start up? See if it still happens

Hi, what I have already done and still currently in place is to untick 'load startup items' on the gernal tab. Then on the Services tab tick 'Hide all Microsoft services' and disabled all remaining services.

This had no effect :(

Edit: No, I have not installed a wireless remote or anything similar. There has been no new installations onto the laptop. All I've done is to re-install windows due to it not installing updates as the users were powering it off by holding down the power switch as it would not shut down automatically.

• Advertisement

can you hear the fan?
    Overheating maybe

Yes - it is quite noisy at times.

I've just shut it down now whilst cool and it shut down correctly. So your query about overheating would appear to be correct. It does spin the fan at a high speed after a while.

How do I get around this issue?

Thanks.

Okay, I'm going to try to clean the fan. Should I also renew the thermal paste on the heatsinks too?

I'd clean the fan first and then check (Its easier:))

Okay, I've removed the fan unit, cleaned it and replaced it back onto the mobo. I've also cleaned the grill on the casing out with a vacuum cleaner. It was very clogged with dirt.

Hopefully, that should sovle the issue. I'm going to leave the machine on now for a few hours and see what happens when I try to shut it down later.

Thanks - not one website I was looking at mentioned overheating as a possbile cause. Give yourself a pat on the back or a cup of tea and a kitkat!

As an aside, if I removed the heat dissipators on the processor to examine the thermal paste will I automatically have to replace it or can the dissipator be just set back on top?

Also, should the user not have got a high temp warning from the mobo if the fan casing was clogged?

We'll see later on if it was a toal cure.

• Advertisement

Yes, you'd have to wipe off the paste and apply fresh.
    You'd think that but no, depends on the mobo

Sorted. Done a disk defrag and it shut down correctly afterwards. Does defrag on Vista not give the visual representation of the disk drive that XP and previous version did? There is also no noticable fan noise either.

Looks like a result. Problem resolved! :D

Eoing1, thanks for your help.

Actually just went on Google there and it seems that Mircosoft has scrapped the UI for disk defrag. Not fond of that. It was nice to see the progress. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

download mydefrag, brilliant piece of kit

Advertisement