Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[IPHONE 5] How much data will i use on google maps and apple maps

• 29-12-2012 8:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

How much data will i use on google maps and apple maps, on the iphone 5 from baldoyle dublin to titanic quaters belfast i have 350mb left on my plan. snd will i be charged extra on my bill or just use extra date on my bill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

once you get on the M1 out of Dublin you will not actually need maps until you're on the A12 in the middle of Belfast. . .I'm struggling to think of any turns you'd need to take along the whole route, go straight through every roundabout you meet. Either way, I used 40mb last month on google navigation getting around East/North London which amounted to a fair bit more than the ~90 minute journey you have ahead of you OP. Sure download the portion of map for offline use in a wifi zone before you head off if you're worried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

theteal wrote: »
    once you get on the M1 out of Dublin you will not actually need maps until you're on the A12 in the middle of Belfast. . .I'm struggling to think of any turns you'd need to take along the whole route, go straight through every roundabout you meet. Either way, I used 40mb last month on google navigation getting around East/North London which amounted to a fair bit more than the ~90 minute journey you have ahead of you OP. Sure download the portion of map for offline use in a wifi zone before you head off if you're worried.

How do you download some of the map

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don't forget the extra cost of using data while roaming in the uk!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

kceire wrote: »

That's what I'm worried about how much of my data will be used in the uk per minute ?

How do you download some of the map

I didn't realise this was an iphone specific question so I'm not sure to be honest. On my own phone, once maps is open over the area you want, press the menu button and then select "make available offline", then it lets you select a chunk of map. Perhaps if you hold your finger/double tap over an area the option will appear?
    kceire wrote: »

I completely forgot about that. It depends on the network, OP, something like 2c per mb iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I completely forgot about that. It depends on the network, OP, something like 2c per mb iirc.

Its huge. I think its something like €9.99 per 10mb or something ludicrous. Its also completely separate to your allowance.

Best app I can recommend is the Navi-Free app's. Excellent. I've used them extensively in Ireland and the USA. Completely offline so no data charges.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Its huge. I think its something like €9.99 per 10mb or something ludicrous. Its also completely separate to your allowance.

Best app I can recommend is the Navi-Free app's. Excellent. I've used them extensively in Ireland and the USA. Completely offline so no data charges.

if this hasn't changed it's a maximum of 70c per mb - I was way off with my 2c but I vividly remember meteor charging me only 1c per mb a couple of years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

if this hasn't changed it's a maximum of 70c per mb - I was way off with my 2c but I vividly remember meteor charging me only 1c per mb a couple of years ago

In the UK atm and the text O2 sent me says its 86.1c per MB. That's bloody expensive!

Seriously, roaming is bloody expensive. Best thing to do is switch the roaming option permanently off. Otherwise it will be downloading other stuff when you are up north and if it decides to do an update of something when you are there you could get a bad shock when the bill arrives.
    Go to google maps on a pc and download a journey map. I think you'll find its quite straightforward and when you get close it will be well signposted when you get to Belfast. Use the phone only if you get properly lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

If your with vodafone they do €2 a day for 50 mbs of data a day... Have used it many times and its great when in europe....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seriously, roaming is bloody expensive. Best thing to do is switch the roaming option permanently off.

+1

I've turned this off on all my iPhones through the few years.

OP, buy the most up to date OSi Map booklet from Easons/OSI Phoenix Park etc. It will be cheaper and you can use it in the long term too :)

http://www.irishmaps.ie/productlistingT.cfm?SeriesID=7

Advertisement