Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The internet has ruined my reading!

Options
  • 29-12-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I often have the laptop on throughout the day and before I go to sleep.My attention span has decreased so much so that I can't concentrate long enough to read it.

Down with the internet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I would read more books if I didn't have the internet. I distantly remember a time before the internet when I read Asimov's Foundation or Robert Sheckley's books. When the internet is down for a week or two I accomplish so much more and feel better.

this is a good example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Perhaps block your most used sites? I blocked Boards.ie during summer and achieved great things! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm terrible for burning hours away on the laptop when i could be doing so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭pavb2

Also suffering from this tried 'rescuetime' program but didn't help so apart from Eliot's suggestion any one offer any other solutions? I suppose it's down to self discipline which kind of goes out the window on a Sunday evening afternoon morning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm the same sometimes, I think everyone is.

Best thing to do is just switch off the computer and not be in the same room as it. Force yourself to start reading. After five pages or so it'll be no effort; like riding a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It's also great for buying books to not read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Dedicate a week per month where you don't use your computer if you can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ladyblackadder

I'm putting away my laptop now to finish reading a thriller..........well, in a minute...or half an hour....maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The ability to concentrate on and read a book is almost like a muscle, one that is scarcely exercised by skimming through snippets of information on the web.

Solution: turn off the f**king thing. I rarely use my laptop in the evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I suppose it's a downside of doing all my reading on a tablet; games, email and internet are always just a touch away. We once lost the Internet connection for a week and you'd have thought it was a major tragedy by my reaction. When a book has caught my interest there's very little that can tear me away from it. But I find most literary fiction hard going these days and that is probably why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

BopNiblets wrote: »
    It's also great for buying books to not read!

Indeed. I even bought books for the Kindle app on my iPad in the hope that it would rekindle* my desire the read. All it takes is a quick tap of my finger to stop browsing the net and I'm right back where I left off.

That worked well! <-- for those with poor sarcasm detection I will now employ this little fellow --> :rolleyes:

*see what I did there? ;)

Advertisement