Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballers revealing shirts with messages.

• 29-12-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else getting fed up of footballers who score and then reveal a message on their under-shirt. It seems to be happening all the time now and I think it's childish. I'm half expecting to see "3 for the price of 2 at Tesco" on a shirt soon or "Mary, forgive me for burning the dinner". I think they should be banned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I can't see anything wrong with it to be honest.

EDIT: Also is it because RVP did it today for United?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Childish?

Billy Sharpe to his deceased son, who died the very same week:

3758591648.jpg

Tamir Cohen to his father Avi, who played for Liverpool, who tragically died days before:

28042011-tamir-cohen.jpg

Nothing wrong with those two examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But what happens if he fails to score. Does he feel stupid or keep wearing it until he does. You can do better things for dead relatives than write on a shirt and hope to score. If it's for dead relatives then why run and show it to the crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If a person is grieving over the loss of a relative I see nothing wrong with it. I think people who do it every week for no good reason is going too far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Cahill showing support for a former team mate
    article-0-123A0068000005DC-732_306x423.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I would be guessing some players would be wearing there message for some time before they get the chance to display it, good disciplin.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

They should be banned. RVP should have got booked today and should be banned for the next game for his five yellows. Disgraceful decision by another weak referee vs Man United.

Regardless of Sharp, Cohen or Cahill examples they should be banned outright. If you want to honour someone there are far better ways indeed a goal can be still be dedicated through spoken word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

If it has meaning it's a very credible thing to do...fair play to anyone that does it...
    These two always stand out for me.

ramos290608_es.jpg

Iniesta-Spain.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ares wrote: »
    They should be banned. RVP should have got booked today and should be banned for the next game for his five yellows. Disgraceful decision by another weak referee vs Man United.

Regardless of Sharp, Cohen or Cahill examples they should be banned outright. If you want to honour someone there are far better ways indeed a goal can be still be dedicated through spoken word.

Did someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

****s sake!...Van Persie revealed a t shirt because a friend of his died,i see nothing wrong paying tribute that way,same goes for the other examples given.

football has bigger problems than revealing a t shirt with messages on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What was rvp's message today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

wonga77 wrote: »
    What was rvp's message today?

RVP-Tchuna-1130223.jpg

Supposedly a friend of his who died in Rotterdam.

The IFAB, the body responsible for the Laws of the Game, decided to add a detail to Law 12 relating to 'Fouls and Misconduct', stating: "A player who removes his jersey after scoring a goal will be cautioned for unsporting behaviour."

So as to avoid any ambiguities and facilitate the correct interpretation and application of the Law, a player will be deemed to have removed his jersey - and therefore become liable for a caution - if the jersey has been pulled over the player's head, or if his head has been covered by the jersey (see illustration - Removal of the jersey guidelines ).

That 'weak' referee was correct to the letter of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Another dark day????

Bloody hell, man, chill.... Enjoy the sport, stop letting trivial stuff spoil it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's not harming anyone is it?

Bloody hell...

What next then a wee shrine in the corner with loads of candles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

What next then a wee shrine in the corner with loads of candles?

If it would reduce shirt lifting, then why not?

Great idea :pac:

If it would reduce shirt lifting, then why not?

Great idea :pac:

Or a bit of an auld pray at half-time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always wondered do they head down to their local T-shirt printers to get them run up?

Or do they send the WAG or the PA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Or a bit of an auld pray at half-time?

What about this fella?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK7SuxLrvVccRLAFKW5ZD4oyAuY8bplMbUyVDRNK5tRGvfgISA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Needless bookings, its up their way getting booked for celebrating with your fans IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The fairest thing to do is yellow card it in every example. There are some who will use it for personal friends/colleagues. Then there could be others who use it for some sort of political gain/advertising. To make it fair it should just be a yellow for all to stop the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

But what happens if he fails to score. Does he feel stupid or keep wearing it until he does. You can do better things for dead relatives than write on a shirt and hope to score. If it's for dead relatives then why run and show it to the crowd?

Of course you can do better things, but dedicating a moment of triumph to a deceased relative/friend in front of a large audience is a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Whats wrong with it?!

More often than not the messages are quite heartwarming as shown.

I like it, better than the usual celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

large-17.jpeg

This may be childist or just a private joke but regardless of the reason behind it, I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I remember Fowler and Henry being fined for taking off their shirts

Fowler for supporting the Liverpool dockers and Henry for his new kid

Surely you all realise it's all about exactly how they expose the undershirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

TheComeUp wrote: »
    If it has meaning it's a very credible thing to do...fair play to anyone that does it...
    These two always stand out for me.

ramos290608_es.jpg

Iniesta-Spain.jpg

Hermosaaaaaaa y muy emocional! :'(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

During Operation Cast Lead.

tumblr_lyb2xvdM2j1qh1y3ko1_400.jpg

• Advertisement

Surely you all realise it's all about exactly how they expose the undershirt?

Yep, but some obviously don't. Aguero lifted his shirt up yesterday to show his bare chest after scoring.

Head or face covered- Yellow Card.
    Shirt off- Yellow Card
    Lifting up shirt to reveal it without going over your head- Okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm still waiting for it to be a celebration in Fifa where you can customise the message :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

dont see the hassle really to be fair.

The players lift the shirts for the exact reason FIFA and the fa dont want them to. For that couple of seconds they're front and center everyone is watching, an advertisers dream if you will. They ruin the sponsor on the shirt by taking it off. The players know this too so use it as a moment for themselves. Well thats my take

I dont even think there should be bookings to be honest for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Why not ban celebrating a goal altogether, that's their job they shouldn't celebrate doing it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

"when the postman delivers letters he doesnt celebrate does he"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Iang87 wrote: »
    "when the postman delivers letters he doesnt celebrate does he"

He probably dreams of shouting 'Get In!!' before wheeling away from the box, arms aloft...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Berba's one was funny but can't help but think it's terrible for team moral. One thing playing like you think you're on a different stratosphere of ability to your teammates, it's another admitting it to the world albeit in a joking way. Big players at small teams so often dont work out well for the team overall even if their contribution is decent, take them out and you often have a far more united bunch. If anything his shirt will only make players overly conscience of themselves which may have the opposite if a calming affect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

double GG wrote: »

Yep, but some obviously don't. Aguero lifted his shirt up yesterday to show his bare chest after scoring.

Head or face covered- Yellow Card.
    Shirt off- Yellow Card
    Lifting up shirt to reveal it without going over your head- Okay.

Iain Dowie should have received a positive reward for covering his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Where was this thread when Berbatov did it?
    Or Tevez or Balotelli or Suarez or Arshavin or Henry or Messi or Kaka...

Great to have people so concerned about lil ol MUFC and their players. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Obviously certain examples should be let slide, I didn't see RVPs shirt yesterday but a Liverpool youngster scored in an u21 match a few months back, revealed a "justice for the 96" shirt and got booked, absolute joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seaneh wrote: »
    During Operation Cast Lead.

tumblr_lyb2xvdM2j1qh1y3ko1_400.jpg

and that's why it should be stopped, if only to prevent a certain Celtic player getting shot.

"If you want to send a message, call Western Union"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Im surprised this hasnt been locked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Anyone else getting fed up of footballers who score and then reveal a message on their under-shirt. It seems to be happening all the time now and I think it's childish. I'm half expecting to see "3 for the price of 2 at Tesco" on a shirt soon or "Mary, forgive me for burning the dinner". I think they should be banned.

Funny how you are fed up with this today. Arsenal fan thinks RvP should be banned. :D

T-shirts bad.

Is this ok then? :P

bendtner-paddy-power-600x339.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pienaar bringing this thread together nicely with this one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056841987

Pienaar today revealed a "GOD IS GOOD" message.

Next week "ENDA IS BRILLIANT" will appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Such an embarassing t-shirt. Facepalms all over the world.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Where was this thread when Berbatov did it?
    Or Tevez or Balotelli or Suarez or Arshavin or Henry or Messi or Kaka...

Great to have people so concerned about lil ol MUFC and their players. :pac:

Paranoid or what?
    Didn't even know RVP did it. I find it childish and not a bit loyal to anyone , dead or alive. Let them go to church and pray or to a quiet place and have a moment of thought for their friend or deceased loved one. The football field is no place for religious or political slogan/messages.

Paranoid or what?
    Didn't even know RVP did it.
    Lol :D
    So you just decided to create this thread out of the blue?
    Ha, pull the other one.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Lol :D
    So you just decided to create this thread out of the blue?
    Ha, pull the other one.

You obviously are paranoid then :D
    Somebody pulling both of them?

You obviously are paranoid then :D
    Somebody pulling both of them?
    Paranoid no, wise to a bullsh*tter? Yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement