Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

invention advice needed

Options
  • 29-12-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,

myself and my wife have come up with an idea for a product in the heating and plumbing area. and we have a done a bit of research, and found nothing like it so far.
    has anyone any advice as to where to start with this process, from proper research to product development etc?
    we have a bit of experience in business and manufacturing, but nothing like this area or research before, so any advice received with many thanks!

ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A lot of R&D has gone into plumbing and heating in the last few years, especially due to energy concerns etc. Without going into specifics, what does the invention do? In the broadest sense?

As regards development, it really depends what it is. If its a new connector or installation aid, it would be very different from a device that aids heat recovery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

in the broadest sense, it will save energy costs for homeowners, and is something that people will use everyday. it also looks like something that will be relatively cheap to produce, and sell. its not in the connector or installation aid area, more retrofit and new install stage, and only an added to what is already being used, so a simple add on really, but with a much needed benefit to homeowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

to quote myself
    I would start by looking here
    www.patentsoffice.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

DriversEd wrote: »
    in the broadest sense, it will save energy costs for homeowners, and is something that people will use everyday. it also looks like something that will be relatively cheap to produce, and sell. its not in the connector or installation aid area, more retrofit and new install stage, and only an added to what is already being used, so a simple add on really, but with a much needed benefit to homeowners.

If its saving energy, you'd want to run the idea past a engineer or similar professional. Someone with detailed knowledge of the area. I'm an engineer myself (Electronics) and I've been asked to look an idea or two over. Generally its been done before or it doesn't actually save you any money. If it does, the pay back time is ridiculous i.e. 10 years.

There would be no harm getting an NDA written up and ask an Engineer or someone in the field to look it over. I'd do that before I'd go through a costly patent process.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

As was said above, first step is get an NDA drawn up and go talk to an expert who can tell you if it is going to save the energy you think and be worthwhile, or if something better exists out there. Patents are time consuming and costly and it would be a waste to go that route without finding out if the idea has any legs first of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Just to add to excellent advice above, ensure that the idea is not already there in some form or other.

Spend time doing searches with different keywords and variants on Espacenet (you may have done already).
    http://www.epo.org/searching/free/espacenet.html

As said, a strong NDA would be a must. If the idea has realistic potential, do not rule out the strategy of following patenting by accepting a royalty deal with an existing credible manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

here are a couple threads that cover this topic and some sound advice too!! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82005872 & http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81649635.

cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ironclaw wrote: »
    Generally its been done before or it doesn't actually save you any money.
    +1. I have heard some really weird ideas about energy saving devices before. People not understanding the fundamentals can lead to misunderstandings -similar to alleged perpetual motion machines.

People might wrongly think they can get free energy from someplace, e.g. getting "free heat" from an immersion tank. Or think that their energy saving will have no knock on effects, e.g. in standby mode most electrical devices give off heat, if you unplug them all then you can expect a thermostatically controlled heating system to turn on more to make up for the lost heat.

Advertisement