Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending Sky contract early

Options
  • 29-12-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I signed up for a 12 month Sky Contract roughly five or six months ago in a rented house. Due to unforeseen circumstances, all tenants have to vacate the property after Christmas.

I know I probably don't have a leg to stand on, but is there any way I can get out of the contract? I know they will most definitely charge me to have the equipment taken down, and probably try and charge me for the balance of the contract. But in short, I simply can't afford it.

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

can you take it with you?

Could be a case of paying it off monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

godtabh wrote: »
    can you take it with you?

Could be a case of paying it off monthly

I'm moving somewhere temporarily (anywhere between 1-3 months) until I find a new place. It wouldn't be possible to have it installed there, but I could have it installed in new place after that.

Would Sky be willing to pause the contract?

And any idea how much they charge to have the equipment collected?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

At a guess, the person who put it up may remove the dish for you for about €50, leave the cabling, take the box.

Sky dont really offer this, they'd just give you the number of the installer.

You can reduce you package to the minimum for the 3 months that you wont use it. I think thats €25. You have to give months notice, so call sooner rather than later.

If you call up and get nowhere, hang up and call again in 4 hours!

If there's 6 months left they could bill you for €150 minimum, if you call up and cancel. I never heard of them pausing a contract.

If theres a dish on the wall where you are moving to, you may be able to just hook up your box.
    If its an apartment, there may be one dish on the roof for everyone. You may have a point in your bedroom.

Advertisement