Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which photosharing website do you use and why ?

• 29-12-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Following on from the thread about flickr giving an extra 3 months free, i thought it might be interesting to see what photo sharing websites people use and what is considered the pro's and con's of each one etc.

Multiple answers are possible.

Which photosharing website(s) do you use 105 votes

Flickr
    0%
    Photobucket
    40%
    PaulwHugh_CMysticalRaindinneenpmelekalikimakaMr EdTheBazmanCosmo Kbigjoedavyjosezero19sarkozyCabanSailGumbomikka631.Longshanks.Lite sleepeRAnCatDubhRoryWMobyDick 43 votes
    DeviantArt
    5%
    bigjoeCabanSailpullandbangdirtyghettokidmayo.mickREPTILEDAN88 6 votes
    Twitpic
    3%
    xshayxAdrian.SadlierBen D BusTelchak 4 votes
    Imageshack
    0%
    AnCatDubh 1 vote
    TinyPic
    0%
    WebShots
    0%
    Reamer Fanny 1 vote
    Imgur
    0%
    Shutterfly
    0%
    IIIAcHmEdIII 1 vote
    SmugMug
    0%
    username2010 1 vote
    4chan
    0%
    Snapfish
    0%
    BobbyPropane 1 vote
    Fotolog
    0%
    Cindi 1 vote
    Photo.net
    0%
    Slide
    0%
    Pix.ie
    0%
    500px
    28%
    PaulwMysticalRainleche solaraGoolayNforcephogPrenderb5uspectGhostInTheRuinsCabanSailtrooneygenie_usmikka631JonnykitedudeAnCatDubhRoryWAnimalRightsxshayxdakarAdrian.Sadlier 30 votes
    Own website
    15%
    PaulwHugh_CMysticalRainGoolaytrooneymikka631MobyDickxshayxWheresMyCamera?Adrian.SadlierpullandbangKbeg3ronanc15Nebezpeci MysBen D Busdirtyghettokid 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Own website
    you forgot 500px! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

500px
    you forgot 500px! :)

oops, cant seem to be able to amend the poll to include it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Photobucket
    I like the flickr community . As a hobbyist, I get great tips from the pics and forums on it. Could spend hours just browsing all the groups and members pictures. Just used to it now. It would be hard to change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

500px
    500px now added.

I am not a Flickr Fan .... just don't like it much.

Prefer the friendly feel of Pix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

500px
    I'm on Flickr and pix. I would probably look at flickr more. Was told pix is a better community but I find there's a lot more community feel to flickr even though it's a lot bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Own website
    DeviantArt & 500px. My first attempt to get on 1x has been rejected :( Is anyone here on 1x? I note it's not an option on this poll.

Own website
    Ben D Bus wrote: »
    DeviantArt & 500px. My first attempt to get on 1x has been rejected :( Is anyone here on 1x? I note it's not an option on this poll.

i've never even heard of 1X! :o
    jaansu wrote: »
    I'm on Flickr and pix. I would probably look at flickr more. Was told pix is a better community but I find there's a lot more community feel to flickr even though it's a lot bigger.

i'd agree with that!

i use flickr, pix.ie and 500px, but out of all of those, i use flickr the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Own website
    i've never even heard of 1X! :o

It's moderated so standards are high. But obviously based on the moderators tastes. So controversial. Especially to those of us who have suffered rejection :pac:

The critique section is quite useful and is not restricted to images accepted by the moderators http://1x.com/#!/critique

Own website
    Ben D Bus wrote: »
    It's moderated so standards are high. But obviously based on the moderators tastes. So controversial. Especially to those of us who have suffered rejection :pac:

The critique section is quite useful and is not restricted to images accepted by the moderators http://1x.com/#!/critique

rejection eh?

hmm

tumblr_m5l1cmjI7I1qel8eb.jpg

i shall not partake in a website like that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

www.pbase.com anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Own website
    You're also forgetting Facebook which although not a dedicated photo sharing site it is what I mainly use it for. Let's also not forget G+ which has some great community groups with dedicated photo sections.

I've let my pro account lapse on flickr and am not uploading any more stuff to it. I prefer 500px nowadays and still put lots on Pix.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Own website
    I seem to be using flickr less and less, pix.ie hardly at all, own site more and more and 500px the most. The standard of images on 500px is generally amazing and inspirational for the kind of stuff I do - there's a much higher signal-to noise ratio on flickr - can't really comment on pix.ie. I wouldn't rate facebook at all for images since it degrades them so badly and appears to make them downloadable to anyone who has access to them, I use it purely as a marketing tool.

H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

500px
    I use pix.ie as it just has a nice simple lay out and it's a cosy community..
    I won't even look at a pic on flickr, hate everything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Own website
    Hugh_C wrote: »
    I seem to be using flickr less and less, pix.ie hardly at all, own site more and more and 500px the most. The standard of images on 500px is generally amazing and inspirational for the kind of stuff I do - there's a much higher signal-to noise ratio on flickr - can't really comment on pix.ie. I wouldn't rate facebook at all for images since it degrades them so badly and appears to make them downloadable to anyone who has access to them, I use it purely as a marketing tool.

H

Agreed on the 500px standard, really is some breathtaking images on it.

Personally Im starting to lean towards 500px more so these days than flickr especially if I'm in need of inspiration. Will have to open a pix.ie account seeing as it's relatively highly recommended community wise :)

Also do a lot of browsing on 1x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

500px
    I went to join flickr a few years back and I needed a yahoo email, no thanks its enough to manage the 3 I have without another email account. I then joined pix.is and I'm happy with it so far.

Sometimes, I venture to flickr to see photos of a place that I'm visiting with the intention of taking photos just to get a view of the area from a photographer's perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

had a look at random images on 1X ... lots of post processing done on many of the images .... doesn't feel right to me !!

people should strive to shoot correctly in camera and not post process for hours/days on end in order to get the image "just right"

(only my opinion - maybe its for another debate) ...as regards the photosharing websites ...I use none !! ... dont see the point, my work is mainly from word of mouth - satisfied clients who return offering more work and who recommend me to colleagues - so...why advertise what I can do ?? I earn enough and am not greedy....am well past my prime so no point in expanding .... work to satisfy a need to do something rather than for money !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Own website
    Realised last night I actually do have a Pix.ie accounted so I signed in and only had time to upload one pic. Spotted this morning it was selected as Photo Of The Day. Lured me in nicely now, well played Pix.ie!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

theres so many its hard to keep track - another one is pintirest , not sure what thats for? - one day I'm going to close all of them , except my own own website

Advertisement