Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winter winds

• 29-12-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

new to caravaning only recently purchased. my question is do people tie down there caravans and if so how. i have mine on concrete but it is fairly exposed to wind i was thinking of puttin eye bolts into the conrete and rachet strapping the stabilisers to them or am i worrying about nothing..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

TBH I would worry about posting about a caravan in a Motorhome and Campervan thread more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

As an ex tugger I would suggest making sure the steadies are wound down good and hard, you could also store heavy stuff like the awning (if you have one) on the floor.
    In all but a hurricane the 'van should not move, compared to a mobile homes caravans are much better at withstanding the effects of strong winds.

However if you wish you could tie it down with straps over the roof but make sure you protect and surfaces they touch from getting chafe damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

A small bit of shelter on a stormy night works wonders, like parking a car on the windward side. Better still hitch to the car and turn it into the wind.
    If you strap it down, try to strap through the chassis rather than over the roof or just the stabilisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 boardlog

several slabs of beer and sit in and supervise them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Wibbles19 wrote: »
    TBH I would worry about posting about a caravan in a Motorhome and Campervan thread more!

A bit unfair to be making smart comments, if you have read Motorhome and Campervan tread over the last number of years, you will find many helpful comments in relation to caravan questions, from many friendly people.

Motorhome, Campervan and Caravans all have the basic construction and many have the same Electrical/Gas equipment, there is alot of cross over.

Shut mouth, catch’s no flies!

haron: new to caravanning only recently purchased. my question is do people tie down there caravans and if so how. i have mine on concrete but it is fairly exposed to wind i was thinking of puttin eye bolts into the conrete and rachet strapping the stabilisers to them or am i worrying about nothing..

I would shelter the caravan as much as possible, secure some anchor bolts to the concrete and loop some chains around the chassis to the anchor bolts. And more importantly secure other possible missiles around the outside of your house i.e empty dustbins!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Unlike mobile homes caravans are of a fairly robust build, after all the need to withstand being towed at speed and bounced along poor roads.

If worried about one being blown over in high winds it is best to secure with straps through the chassis.
    Securing via the grab handles or steadies is not a good idea, the grab handles are only designed for maneuvering the caravan and the steadied are designed to take weight not hold the caravan down.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

MikeOis wrote: »
    A bit unfair to be making smart comments, if you have read Motorhome and Campervan tread over the last number of years, you will find many helpful comments in relation to caravan questions, from many friendly people.

Motorhome, Campervan and Caravans all have the basic construction and many have the same Electrical/Gas equipment, there is alot of cross over.

Shut mouth, catch’s no flies!

haron: new to caravanning only recently purchased. my question is do people tie down there caravans and if so how. i have mine on concrete but it is fairly exposed to wind i was thinking of puttin eye bolts into the conrete and rachet strapping the stabilisers to them or am i worrying about nothing..

I would shelter the caravan as much as possible, secure some anchor bolts to the concrete and loop some chains around the chassis to the anchor bolts. And more importantly secure other possible missiles around the outside of your house i.e empty dustbins!!
    Apologies, I was certainly not trying to be smart, it was just a bit of attempted humour on my part. I have been reading this forum for many years and have always enjoyed the crossover friendly banter between caravan/camper/motorhome owners. Love catching flies makes life way more interesting.

Advertisement