Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players blessing themselves?

• 30-12-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭

What's the story with loads of player touching the grass and blessing themselves as the start of a match. I'm no holy joe, but how many of these players go to mass every week?!

I reckon it's to satisfy or attract sponsors and I think it's less than genuine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Amen brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they might just believe in God.

they might just have been brought up Catholic, like many people around the world, and they just do it out of habit.

i know many who have no interest in God, but still bless themselves when they pass churches, just because of their roots.

i doubt it's anything to do with sponsorship at all.

leave them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sponsors? Like who? The Vatican?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Sponsors? Like who? The Vatican?

I think it'd be pretty naive to believe that the only sponsors to look favourably upon a role model with 'christian values' would be the vatican, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

nummnutts wrote: »
    I think it'd be pretty naive to believe that the only sponsors to look favourably upon a role model with 'christian values' would be the vatican, tbh.

I think it's pretty naive to think that footballers only bless themselves to please sponsors!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What annoys me is this increased occurrence of players pointing to the sky and blessing themselves after scoring a goal.

It started with the Brazil team (first time i saw them do it was 2002 World Cup? and now everyone is at it. So now I think it's the cool thing to do. It's seeped into tennis with Andy Murray doing it too.

Katie Taylor did it during the olpics medal ceremony but we all know she believes so that's fine.

Otherwise, it's a load of image-related bollix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm no holy joe, but how many of these players go to mass every week?!

Surprisingly, a lot of them.

kraggy wrote: »
    What annoys me is this increased occurrence of players pointing to the sky and blessing themselves after scoring a goal.

It started with the Brazil team (first time i saw them do it was 2002 World Cup? and now everyone is at it. So now I think it's the cool thing to do. It's seeped into tennis with Andy Murray doing it too.

Katie Taylor did it during the olpics medal ceremony but we all know she believes so that's fine.

You realise that most of these guys aren't your average lapsed-Catholic from Clondalkin right?

How dare people have religious beliefs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Andy Murry is a Christian, he is a survivor of the Dunblane shootings, and comes from a religious family, it's not really surprising he has strong convictions.

Brailian players like Kaka, Leonardo, Cafu, Lucio, Caludio Tafferal and a **** ton more would all come from Pentacostal Christian backgrounds, Brazil is a very religous country and has a massive amount of Evangelical Christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

You seem to have misunderstood me. I fully believe that the Brazilians are religious and are genuinely thanking their god. No problem with that whatsoever.

As I said in post, I've no problem with people doing it if they genuinely believe in their god e.g like I said about Katie Taylor.

What I most certainly have a problem with is players doing it be cause it looks cool and is associated with the eternally popular Brazil national team.

Also, I wasn't saying that Andy Murray is a non-believer. I'm just saying that the practice is not confined to soccer.

In summary, if a player is a genuine believer, that's fine. But those who do it for image are just pathetic.

• Advertisement

What players do you think "do it for image"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

For most that do, its part of a ritual.

There are alot of stories about footballers that would stun you as regards rituals

Dempsey wrote: »
    For most that do, its part of a ritual.

There are alot of stories about footballers that would stun you as regards rituals

Yeah, lots of professional/top level athletes can be massively OCD in some ways.

137-God-Troll-650x407.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So long as we have some consistency.

If players are permitted to make religious gestures during matches then fans should be permitted to sing religious songs during matches.

Imo it should be banned. Football should not be used for those promoting their religious agendas.

Do it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Since when did this forum turn into a version of the ladies lounge?

Concentrate on the Football FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Zebra3 wrote: »

If players are permitted to make religious gestures during matches then fans should be permitted to sing religious songs during matches.

Imo it should be banned. Football should not be used for those promoting their religious agendas.

Do it elsewhere.

Damn straight. I would love to see Old Trafford singing Bind us together or Jesus sat down in the shade of a tree!!!..............

Do it elsewhere.

I had no idea singing hymns was banned in football stadia!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I had no idea singing hymns was banned in football stadia!

Afaik, the singing of religious songs in football stadia is illegal in some countries (defo in Scotland anyway).

Afaik, the singing of religious songs in football stadia is illegal in some countries (defo in Scotland anyway).

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Some of ye have little to be worrying about when you are moaning about players blessing themselves.

Its unbelievable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

In summary, if a player is a genuine believer, that's fine. But those who do it for image are just pathetic.

Like who exactly? Are you basing this off some wild assumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Was this thread started just because a Man Utd player blessed himself during yesterday's game.

I didnt see threads like this when every other players bless themselves.

;)

Link?

There was a documentary on a few years ago about how they had changed the law in Scotland to deal with religious related chanting at football matches in Scotland.

Maybe someone who travels over there would know more.

There was a documentary on a few years ago about how they had changed the law in Scotland to deal with religious related chanting at football matches in Scotland.

I've never heard of hymns being chanted at football games in Scotland or anywhere else?

Did you see this documentary? What hymns were they singing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What's the story with loads of player touching the grass and blessing themselves as the start of a match. I'm no holy joe, but how many of these players go to mass every week?!

You don't have to go to mass to believe in God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think it's pretty naive to think that footballers only bless themselves to please sponsors!

I think its nieve not to recognise its actually a big deal for South American sponsors ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I think it's a bit unfair to Protestants to attribute certain anti-Catholic or anti-Irish hate songs sung by certain notoriously anti Catholic and anti Irish football clubs to their religion. They are not 'religious songs' they are hate songs and from what I gather, that does not make the perpetrators proper Christians.

• Advertisement

Where's the part about singing hymns?

Edit:
    The offence will NOT:

Stop peaceful preaching or proselytising.

Ah, so it's not illegal. Glad we've cleared that up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.scotzine.com/2012/12/fran-sandaza-interview-opens-up-old-wounds-of-sectarianism/

Article on Rangers players blessing themselves that ends in witch hunt of sorts.

Public displays of Religion and or meetings(mass etc) should be banned from the world not just football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Are you sure the religious chants mentioned aren't actually songs that are sung by catholic & protestant fan bases of teams that reference things like the Easter Rising, William of Orange, or whatever the fúck they sing about, etc.

rather than something like "O Come, All Ye Faithful"

dreamers75 wrote: »

Public displays of Religion and or meetings(mass etc) should be banned from the world not just football :)

so your team would be just know as Patrick's Athletic F.C. then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I think it's a bit unfair to Protestants to attribute certain anti-Catholic or anti-Irish hate songs sung by certain notoriously anti Catholic and anti Irish football clubs to their religion. They are not 'religious songs' they are hate songs and from what I gather, that does not make the perpetrators proper Christians.

dawson-crying.jpg

As far as I'm concerned players can bless themselves if they want.
    I doubt it'll help their performance, but it's the same as players stepping on the pitch with the same leg every game, or touching the Liverpool sign at Anfield, wearing the same sort of underwear for every game,...

The only "religious" song I've ever heard sung by Celtic fans is Roamin in the Gloamin and a lot of people don't join in, or find it a bit cringe worthy (myself included).

Jelle: sorry mate I didn't mean to upset you :(

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned players can bless themselves if they want.
    I doubt it'll help their performance, but it's the same as players stepping on the pitch with the same leg every game, or touching the Liverpool sign at Anfield, wearing the same sort of underwear for every game,...

Not everyone fells like that though

Marco Negri was told to "stop blessing your self you fenian cúnt" while at Rangers

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Not everyone fells like that though

Marco Negri was told to "stop blessing your self you fenian cúnt" while at Rangers

That article was a load of ****e, Negri has always spoken fondly of Rangers, and then all of a sudden some article from a 'respected Italian journalist' who nobody seems to have heard of ?

Not to mention an Italian journo that uses 'would score for fun' ?

But if people want to discuss Rangers or Celtic then I doubt this is the thread to do it, wouldn't be the first time a thread is closed because it got derailed like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm pretty sure Abide with me is still sung before the FA cup final. I don't see why people moan about it, I know one or two of the players on my team bless themselves before matches.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I've seen far more annoying, overlong choreographed celebrations than someone blessing themself in the last few years. Why small religious acts that don't harm anyone are an issue in any walk of life baffles me. More importantly, as we saw in the case of Fabrice Muamba, career-changing and life-changing things can happen within the space of 90 minutes- just like any situation in life where you want things to go well, it makes sense for a religious player to bless themselves before going out on to the field.

Hernandez can connect with the cross any way he likes as long as the ball goes into the net!

But if people want to discuss Rangers or Celtic then I doubt this is the thread to do it, wouldn't be the first time a thread is closed because it got derailed like that.
    It's a thread about players blessing themselves,which has been quite a contentious issue at Ibrox for many years. I would be wilfully ignorant if the discussion didn't involve Rangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'm a firm non believer but i like to bless myself before 5 a sides because i used to see all the coolest players do it in Serie A back in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

dreamers75 wrote: »
    http://www.scotzine.com/2012/12/fran-sandaza-interview-opens-up-old-wounds-of-sectarianism/

Article on Rangers players blessing themselves that ends in witch hunt of sorts.

Lot of pish I will post pics of he player at the centre of this making the sign of the cross as he enters the field of play. And as for your source the guy responsible is a bigot and Rangers hater of the first order. Rangers have had many RC's playing who never said a word about this nonsense.
    I will say this as an RC I have never felt the need to make the sign of the cross before entering my work place and be assured I could have done with the big mans help a lot more than some primma donna needing it to score a goal, but hey if it makes them happy let them fill their boots :p

Sandaza obviously could not have been advised not to bless himself because he actually did bless himself. These two situations are mutually exclusive, of course.

Sandaza obviously could not have been advised not to bless himself because he actually did bless himself. These two situations are mutually exclusive, of course.
    Nope but when you give me proof and not from a bigoted site or a bigoted journalist then youse have a leg to stand on.

Nope but when you give me proof and not from a bigoted site or a bigoted journalist then youse have a leg to stand on.
    On the phone to a James Traynor now. He says he'll be posting an article on the Rangers official site tomorrow :)

Only joking of course, but what if that did actually happen? Then you'd be forced to call Rangers the bigots and you'd have gone full circle!

On the phone to a James Traynor now. He says he'll be posting an article on the Rangers official site tomorrow :)

Only joking of course, but what if that did actually happen? Then you'd be forced to call Rangers the bigots and you'd have gone full circle!
    If's and but's and if your Aunty had balls she would be your uncle

Aye and iIf my aunty was my mam I might be Anthony Stokes.

Aye and iIf my aunty was my mam I might be Anthony Stokes.

It's people like you that get threads like this chopped, because you can't help but further your own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Enough.

It's people like you that get threads like this chopped, because you can't help but further your own agenda.
    .... I made a joke... a joke at the expense of a Celtic player... and you still can't lighten up. Jesus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement