Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players blessing themselves?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I've never heard of hymns being chanted at football games in Scotland or anywhere else?

Neither have I, so why reply to my quote asking? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I think it's pretty naive to think that footballers only bless themselves to please sponsors!

More likely they're blessing themselves to please their mothers who are watching at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I remember doing it when I was younger after seeing all the footballers at it. Role models and all that, thought it must help them play well.

I soon stopped when I noticed I was still ****e:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Neither have I, so why reply to my quote asking? :confused:
    If players are permitted to make religious gestures during matches then fans should be permitted to sing religious songs during matches.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd say the bigger problem is are the players requesting interference or assistance from their respective deities and should it be allowed? Surely gods interfering in matches because more players openly support them, given the powers these deities are reported to yield, is worse than any skill or endurance enhancing drugs and should be banned. A match should be played fairly with no interference by invisible supernatural superpowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

:confused:

Not all religious songs are hymns.

Has any player pointed towards the ground I wonder? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think it's very cynical to suggest players only do it for their image. Take Lampard for example, he pointed to the sky after his ma died and he scored a peno against Liverpool. Even as a pool fan and given the stakes in that actual game, I couldn't help but get a little emotional at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't mind them praying and blessing themselves in private but conducting cult like rituals on the pitch shouldnt happen. The likes of what Javier Hernandez does could easily be done earlier in the day and it sends a terrible message to kids and the young tv viewers.

The tv companies should at least pan away from these acts when they are committed instead of showing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The likes of what Javier Hernandez does could easily be done earlier in the day and it sends a terrible message to kids and the young tv viewers.

Tell me of these terrible things it does to Kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Tell me of these terrible things it does to Kids?

It attempts to popularise religion. When i was a young lad I used to see team mates and other players bless themselves etc even though they were not religious. They were just doing it because they seen a footballer do it on tv.

The whole Javier Hernandez malarkey could easily be done before a game in an empty stadium. Him doing it before a kick off has ulterior motives. He wants to popularise his religious beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It attempts to popularise religion. When i was a young lad I used to see team mates and other players bless themselves etc even though they were not religious. They were just doing it because they seen a footballer do it on tv.

The whole Javier Hernandez malarkey could easily be done before a game in an empty stadium. Him doing it before a kick off has ulterior motives. He wants to popularise his religious beliefs.

I dont agree with you. I dont think it does popularise religion at all.

You dont see many Asians or Middle East people copying Henandez. People will believe in what they want or grow up believing what they are taught.

Some countries in South America have huge beliefs even known criminals pray before shootings etc.

99% of people blessing themselves on football pitch aint doing it cause their favourite player is doing it Kids or adult.

and even if your theory is true and that is terrible then I can only imagine what horrific leg breaking tackles are like to you and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So long as we have some consistency.

If players are permitted to make religious gestures during matches then fans should be permitted to sing religious songs during matches.

Imo it should be banned. Football should not be used for those promoting their religious agendas.

Do it elsewhere.
    Afaik, the singing of religious songs in football stadia is illegal in some countries (defo in Scotland anyway).

The religious songs usally sang though were of a hate/sectarian nature. As for religious gestures, blessing ones self is usally the same regardless of your christian domination.

I wonder would these players bless themselves in other jobs?

Just sold a plasma TV - must kneel down and say thanks to some God.

It's nonsense really but probably isn't doing too much harm is it. Tooth fairies, UFO's, Gods, Santa, whatever floats your boat.

rarnes1 wrote: »

It's nonsense really but probably isn't doing too much harm is it. Tooth fairies, UFO's, Gods, Santa, whatever floats your boat.

Maybe if they sold 100 TVs in one day they might make a gesture thanking their god for their salesman skills.

:D

Surely its just the same for sports persons thanking god for their skill, or quietly remembering a loved one who had died. Its no biggie as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

irish-stew wrote: »
    The religious songs usally sang though were of a hate/sectarian nature. As for religious gestures, blessing ones self is usally the same regardless of your christian domination.
    I thought the whole symbolism stuff was very Catholic? In Scotland blessing yourself is very much seen as a Catholic thing.

I'm not religious and tbh I detest the lot of it, but I can see why it's done.

I thought the whole symbolism stuff was very Catholic? In Scotland blessing yourself is very much seen as a Catholic thing.

It's the sign of a cross isn't it?

Do Protestants not believe in the whole dying on a cross thing? Haven't a clue behind the whole history behind the blessing themselves tbh.

Do Protestants not believe in the whole dying on a cross thing? Haven't a clue behind the whole history behind the blessing themselves tbh.
    AFAIK Protestants don't do the whole blessing of stuff like bread, wine etc. Tbh from what I've heard, and seen of their churches they are just like a really boring version of Catholics but with less stupid "rules".

AFAIK Protestants don't do the whole blessing of stuff like bread, wine etc. Tbh from what I've heard, and seen of their churches they are just like a really boring version of Catholics but with less stupid "rules".

Is that possible? :pac:

Is that possible? :pac:
    Well stained glass windows are savage craic and they've none of those I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Bloody people doing things.

I'm not religious and tbh I detest the lot of it, but I can see why it's done.

Maybe so, but Catholics, Protestants, weather they be church of england/ireland, Anglian, Presbyterian etc etc etc, all bless them selfs. I would only be if you were stading beside them might you have an idea of which religion they are/aren't based on the how they say the sign of the cross.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Maybe so, but Catholics, Protestants, weather they be church of england/ireland, Anglian, Presbyterian etc etc etc, all bless them selfs. I would only be if you were stading beside them might you have an idea of which religion they are/aren't based on the how they say the sign of the cross.
    Oh fair enough. Like I said though, blessing yourself is seen as a Catholic thing in Scotland and it makes some people extremely angry when they see others do it. It doesn't surprise me if all Christians do it because we're talking about a pretty confused bunch of mouth breathers here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think that it's just hypocritical. They'll bless themselves running onto the pitch but act like spoiled children the rest of the week. (Not all).

I just don't see the point in it if they're not religious and I'm assuming that most of the ones that do bless themselves are not religious. So why do it.

I stand by my point in my OP that its to cultivate a positive image and nothing more.
    (Could be for the Vatican though)!

I'm assuming that most of the ones that do bless themselves are not religious.
    .... lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

.... lol?

Wow. What insight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

And your insight is that you assume most of the players who do bless themselves are not religious? Cracking bit of analysis there

Not all religious songs are hymns.

Nope, but the ones relevant to this conversation, ones which you could use as a comparison to players bless themselves, are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I think it's pretty naive to think that footballers only bless themselves to please sponsors!

That's not what I said.

nummnutts wrote: »

That's not what I said.

I never said you did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I think you should check out the Church of England and the Anglican Church ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Some probably are relgious (I hear Kaka is a born again christian or Jehovas witness or something)

Lots could actually have faith

Some as was said just were brought up that way , even if they dont believe themselves

But Id say most its just supersticion , they do it, they play well so they keep doing it again and again

I have no idea why it's so hard to believe that some people might actually believe in God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Well stained glass windows are savage craic and they've none of those I'm afraid.

lol - do you write this stuff for a laugh?

There's a "protestant" Church opf Scotland right next door to me - and last time i checked, their windows looked like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Some Muslim players bow down in prayer after scoring or as Gary Lineker would say: "eat grass"

Advertisement