Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on internet concept

Options
  • 30-12-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, Not sure if I should post this here or in legal, I have an internet idea but dont know what to do.
    Its something which I could implement myself but I wouldnt be able to market it properly and if it was any good it could be easily copied.
    Its kind of social media and I think it would work best as an add on to facebook or youtube or something like that.
    Im just wondering how I would protect my idea if I approached somebody about it or if somebody knows the best way to proceed .
    I know this is a very vague post but any input would be appreciated.
    P.S. Funds are tight:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

I would start by looking here
    www.patentsoffice.ie
    at least then the idea is yours before you go trying to market it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

TGi666 wrote: »
    I would start by looking here
    www.patentsoffice.ie
    at least then the idea is yours before you go trying to market it
    Ideas and computer software cannot be patented

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

News to me, thought there was a work around so if an identical program/software was released you could challenge it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lacwood

My main concern with patents is Ive heard you can put a lot of money into them once you start. An international patent reg. and search costs over two grand and thats without agents and legal fees. I know once youve filed in Ireland other countries recognise it for a year, I was just wondering if there was any kind of intellectual property protection or any thing like that or some gov. body who would protect people on low budgets. this idea I have would have the same relevance in every country in the world, would be implementable by anyone tech savvy. It would probably work best as a smart phone app. linking to a website, but marketing and SEO would take lots of cash which I could not gamble on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And that's if you actually get the patent bearing in mind that most ideas have already been thought up. The trick in so much business is not originality of ideas, but doing things better, faster, cheaper. That and promoting and marketing it properly to make your product/service visible, which rarely comes cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Lacwood

tricky D wrote: »
    And that's if you actually get the patent bearing in mind that most ideas have already been thought up. The trick in so much business is not originality of ideas, but doing things better, faster, cheaper. That and promoting and marketing it properly to make your product/service visible, which rarely comes cheap.

Excellent. My point exactly. I would rather give my idea to somebody who knows what to do with it and get a small percentage of any profits than try to go alone and fail or have somebody steal it. This is a ''why has nobody thought of it'' idea, but in reality it wouldnt have been feasible without a proliferation of smart phones and good 3g internet, It would never be facebook or twitter but I think it could have big potential , rather than just another app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

TGi666 wrote: »
    News to me, thought there was a work around so if an identical program/software was released you could challenge it?

No ... sure how could u ?? "your software is the same as mine.. u copied it ??" yes i did sir ... like a boss

Advertisement