Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MOTD

• 30-12-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Really is **** these days. Everybody agrees with each other and no decent debate at all.

I was looking forward to analyzing the Clatenberg sending off today but they brushed over it and more or less said it was a bad decision.

MOTD2 is much better

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

They used to talk more about the teams aswell as analyzing the game, now they pretty much just talk about the goals with not much on league position, results, fixtures, transfers, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

would never watch it. goals on sunday if I can get up in time. Kammy knows what he's on about. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I mute the 'analysis'. The show is insulting to the intelligence of football fans with pundits such as Robbie Savage, Mark Lawrenson and Alan 'he'll be disappointed with that' Shearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's the problem? Watch the goals, highlights etc and think for yourself? Who cares what the likes of Shearer or Lawrenson think.

If you want analysis, there's the internet!!!! Newspapers on line.

TV is where i watch games and see goals. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just watched it tonight and jez Alan Hansen earns his money easy. He says nothing incisive, controversial, or out of the ordinary. His comments are cut and paste from one week to the next.

It also has the most boring analysts, and the whole show just reeks of jobs for the boys.

Having said that MOTD2 can be even worse with that irritating git of a presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Last 15mins of MOTD2 for me on the record button. All the rest is just a shirt slagging fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

MOTD just seems to me a place for Lineker to get in his funny little comments that make us all laugh. :rolleyes:

Hansen need to retire now and just go play golf with Kenny.

Its seems no pundits on any channel wants to say anything that might upset teams.

MOTD is just good for seeing the goals of the day really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

monkey9 wrote: »
    What's the problem? Watch the goals, highlights etc and think for yourself? Who cares what the likes of Shearer or Lawrenson think.

If you want analysis, there's the internet!!!! Newspapers on line.

TV is where i watch games and see goals. End of story.

Maybe because they get paid a crap load to have a bit of debate about games which sometimes is half the fun. whatever anyone says about dunpyhy, giles etc talkin crap, they at least have a proper debate/arguement, done fo this MOTD nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I mean last week with the OG from Evan's created a lot of debate but on MOTD it lasted about 30 seconds and Shearer and Lawerson agreed it was good decision from Ref.

Goals on Sunday is too long of a show and covers too much. BBC need to revamp MOTD. Born and bred on the show but is going down hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looks like such an easy job for a shítload of pay. Watch a few highlights, roll out a few clichés. Kerching.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Looks like such an easy job for a shítload of pay. Watch a few highlights, roll out a few clichés. Kerching.

Hansen is one of the highest paid people at the BBC as well so it's a big Kerching for him.

Jesus I remember as a kid the anticipation of waiting for match of the day!!

I know its hard to recreate this with so much live football and the internet but the BBC offer nothing more than Sky Sports News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i find Gillette Soccer Saturday to be good analysis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

The format is tired - Neville on Sky makes these guys look like amateurs

same old same old highlights, a few cliches and obvious analysis of key incidents, like a bunch of old golf buddies, far too comfortable for their own good, people will keep watching because it's the only programme on english terrestrial tv where they can watch the premier league and lineker and hansen and his buddies will congratulate themselves on the ratings - but the ratings are for the games, the analysis is lightyears behind what it should be and someone needs to be brave enough to kick those guys up the arse and shake up the format

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The only useful thing I've learned from listening to the MOTD pundits over the last few seasons is that Alan Shearer will never make a half decent manager.

MD1990 wrote: »
    i find Gillette Soccer Saturday to be good analysis

Paul Merson said Manchester United should buy Shay Given today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I hate weeks when there's no MNF on, that's the one Premier League weekend review show I actually enjoy things other than the game highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Paul Merson said Manchester United should buy Shay Given today.
    Charlie Nicholas said Leighton Baines has been the best player in the PL so far this season.

Hansen is one of the highest paid people at the BBC as well so it's a big Kerching for him.

Did I read a few weeks ago that he gets paid £40,000 each match of the day for his ****e input :eek:

Did I read a few weeks ago that he gets paid £40,000 each match of the day :eek:

Yes you did and that is after he was forced to take a pay cut this year.

• Advertisement

Used to be so good. Had Des Lynam and Jimmy Hill on BBC and good aul Ron on ITV. Now we have baldy Shearar and Andy bleeding Townsand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Charlie Nicholas said Leighton Baines has been the best player in the PL so far this season.

And this is the reason the guys on MOTD don't do any real analysis. As soon as anyone provides an opinion that isn't 100% bleeding obvious and predictable, you'll have people whinging about it like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Columbia wrote: »
    And this is the reason the guys on MOTD don't do any real analysis. As soon as anyone provides an opinion that isn't 100% bleeding obvious and predictable, you'll have people whinging about it like this.
    There's offering a different opinion and there's that comment from Nicholas which bordered on lunacy. Thompson said Suarez which you could argue for, Merson and Le Tissier went for RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For all the people here who are complaining about it you must remember what the target audience of the show is.

Its for mainly everyday Joe soaps who are mainly interested in seeing goals.

If you want in depth analysis go to the internet or get sky, but if you just want to see highlights and a little bit of opinion after then it fits the bill.

And for all those who are saying it was great years ago, I'll hazard a guess that back then you were only interested in the goals back them rather than the analysis, we all were at the age of 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The pundits can't give opinions because the fans can't mentally handle somebody speaking ill of the team they follow. You should see the abuse Gary Lineker gets on twitter and he's just the presenter.

Football fans need fence sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I think MOTD is ok, shows the highlights without dragging it out. Best games get most time, sh!t games are given a min or so at the end. Agree that Hansen, Lawrenson, Shearer etc add nothing tho.
    Record it tho if u can, and watch it a bit later or next day so u can ff thru all the talk. Did that tonight as we were watching the darts, and stuck on recorded motd after, was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

It is true that he's continually abused about bias, but yes it would appear an editorial decision has been made to show more action and less chat.They basically have 2-4 minutes to talk about the game afterwards, there's been a couple of times this season where one of them has said something interesting (Hansen was on the cusp of arguing with Lineker over something recently) but then they don't have time to develop their point because they're short for time.

The analysis always improves during major tournaments because they have more time to talk,but I cannot understand why Alan Shearer gets they airtime he does when Lee Dixon was allowed leave, Shearer is from the Jamie Redknapp school of punditry.

Another thing that really annoys me when it comes to referee analysis is when they whip out their 360 degree super slow-mo zoom camera to show us where the referee got it wrong, this is complete bollix, what I want to see is a graphic showing me what the referee would have seen, so at least we may better understand the reason for the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Born on the show but is going down hill

Now that must've been an interesting episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Probably a good time to post this - not a lot's changed over the years.

• Advertisement

Owen_S wrote: »
    I mute the 'analysis'. The show is insulting to the intelligence of football fans with pundits such as Robbie Savage, Mark Lawrenson and Alan 'he'll be disappointed with that' Shearer Hanson.

FYP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Blatter wrote: »
    The only useful thing I've learned from listening to the MOTD pundits over the last few seasons is that Alan Shearer will never make a half decent manager.

Explain this more please.

Look at richard Hillman's post, number 26... All the bbc lads have to sit on the fence. So Shearer cant say exactly what he feels.

But why would you think a manager would be good or not, by how good or bad they as a pundit???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just record it and ff the "analysis" like I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,317 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I record it every time and watch early the next morning, it does the job for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

The analysis is terrible, but to it does what it says on the tin which is show you excellent highlights of goals. There is very little in the way of great analysis on television, with only Gary Neville standing out.

Some analysis can go over the top though. I actually enjoy Jonathan Wilson and the Zonal Marking articles but sometimes I think the game is a lot simpler than they make out too and that's why Neville is usually spot on. Good solid analysis but none of the snooty over complication which means you have to have attended NASA to understand it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

MOTD

used to show Highlights of only selected games and goals from the test. That allowed time for more analysis.

That doesn't exist anymore a they show highlights of all the games.

The format delivers on its requirement to feature all games in 90 mins.

Neville on a Monday gets to show key moments only meaning he has time to go over things we are already familiar with so its a completely different show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement