Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Skype use more data when making a call or receiving?

Options
  • 30-12-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question in relation to Skyping, apologies if this isn't the correct forum to ask. Mods, please feel free to move if required.

I just wanted to know if the same amount of data gets used up when receiving a Skype call as it does when making a Skype call? Is it all the same or is there a difference?

I understand Skyping uses up a lot of data and is like the equivalent of downloading six photos per second.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

CM

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It should be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Cake Man wrote: »
    I understand Skyping uses up a lot of data and is like the equivalent of downloading six photos per second.

Doesn't really mean much. Are they 200 KB photos or 2 MB photos?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

juan.kerr wrote: »

Doesn't really mean much. Are they 200 KB photos or 2 MB photos?
    Exactly. I hate it when you buy like a memory stick and it says "Stores 1, 000 songs" or something. I can fill it up with half of that.

I actually found a rough estimate of the data used by Skype per min on their website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

It depends entirely on the codec and quality so there is no correct answer to your question. If you've got a 720p HD camera you need a sustained 3Mbps symmetrical connection to use HD video. If you don't use HD Skype will dynamically change the video quality to compensate for your connection speed but you're safe to factor in around 300-400kbps for an average video call so between 1GB or 1.5GB an hour

Without the video its around 300-350 MB an hour. Again the quality of the connection all comes to it as well so impossible to give a definite answer as Skype will adjust the quality!

If you are using 3G Skype take this into account and the quality will be lower and bandwith will be less.
    Its impossible to tell! You will have to download a program to monitor how much data is been used on your connection.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1417/how-much-bandwidth-does-skype-need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Thanks for the responses lads. It is indeed the case that you would use more or less the same data if you were either making or receiving the Skype call.
    Mods, please feel free to lock if required. Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement