Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin New Year's Eve Thread [Merged Threads]

Options
  • 30-12-2012 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, So any big events on news year eve?
    I am 19 so I am limited to most clubs on 31st of dec apparently.
    I heard there is some countdown concert, fireworks organised this year near trinity? true? more info please? open or closed concert? ticket price?

I am 19 year old guy, got two girls with me, they are 18 so we are quite limtied to go somewhere, as most night clubs wont let us in. Any other places to go? Please suggest? cbf to sit home. What about off licenses? what time do they close on new years eve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here you go - http://www.nyedublin.ie/
    arleitiss wrote:
    I am 19 year old guy, got two girls with me, they are 18
    Lucky you! :cool:

(PS - you could get them to wash that car of yours! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm heading up to this, hoping for dry weather now!

QUESTION: Is there anywhere sneaky to watch the fireworks from a height close to Stephens Green? ie. top of a car park/building?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

So it's 20 euro for a ticket?

arleitiss wrote: »

Yup

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Yup

I assume you don't have to pay to see fireworks though? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

€20 to stand in a public place such as College Green seems excessive. Then again they get away with charging multiples of that for concerts in our parks

I assume you don't have to pay to see fireworks though? :D
    Website says it's free alright. Wonder how they'd try to charge for that? :D
    howiya wrote: »
    €20 to stand in a public place such as College Green seems excessive. Then again they get away with charging multiples of that for concerts in our parks
    While i'm not one who likes to be ripped off, in fairness there are huge logistics involved here. I don't know what kind of funding the organisers are getting, but 20 bob isin't total robbery for a night of live music. Sure don't nightclubs charge nearly that to listen to music from a PC :pac: Looking forward to it myself, here's hoping for no rain :(

howiya wrote: »

I am sure I can have fun without paying.
    I am sure music will be heard all over the place up to stephens green or even o'connell street. That's all you need really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Website says it's free alright. Wonder how they'd try to charge for that? :D

While i'm not one who likes to be ripped off, in fairness there are huge logistics involved here. I don't know what kind of funding the organisers are getting, but 20 bob isin't total robbery for a night of live music. Sure don't nightclubs charge nearly that to listen to music from a PC :pac: Looking forward to it myself, here's hoping for no rain :(

They're probably getting very little funding and are more than likely only trying to recoup their costs in fairness to them. I just don't like the privatisation of our public spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Myself (20) and my girlfriend (22) are staying in the Clarion Hotel for New Years and I'm just wondering what's on in Dublin on NYE in terms of nightclubs ?

What would be the best nightclubs to go to ? Avoid etc ?

Although I wouldn't class it as a nightclub but I was in the woolshed a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good any idea what it's like on NYE ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Where is the midnight fireworks does anyone know?

spider_pig wrote: »
    Where is the midnight fireworks does anyone know?

I think around trinity area? not sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

http://www.thegatheringireland.com/Attend-A-Gathering/Individual-Gathering.aspx?eid=257#.UOHn1r8gGc1

The fireworks are at 8 at Stephens Green. Not sure if there are midnight ones

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Looking out my window in shock at a fireworks display at 8pm on New Year's Eve.

I'm assuming this is organised by the state or some quango! No one but a civil servant could possibly be responsible for organising it four hours before what is largely accepted as the biggest annual party on earth?

There must have been at least a couple of hindered grand gone up in smoke there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I guess they were having it at 8pm so families could get to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Quite possibly, I wonder if they could move Paddy's day to August while they are moving such landmark times.

I can see it on Sky news tomorrow, the Irish celebrate 4 hour early, thick paddies, some drunk paddy fell on the button while swilling his Guinness.

There is a Fireworks display on at midnight out at Dun Laoghaire...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@whatnext - Give it a rest.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Larianne wrote: »
    There is a Fireworks display on at midnight out at Dun Laoghaire...

The fireworks in Dublin lasted 7 minutes. :( The were not too bad!

Are ya sure DL has some on at midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Is there not a big fireworks display at College Green at midnight like last year? Fairly sure I saw it mentioned somewhere! Im pretty sure its for the official start to The Gathering 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is there not a big fireworks display at College Green at midnight like last year? Fairly sure I saw it mentioned somewhere! Im pretty sure its for the official start to The Gathering 2013.

http://www.herald.ie/news/thousands-set-to-gather-for-new-years-eve-party-3339625.html

Some sort of a display alright.

Are ya sure DL has some on at midnight?

Yes. Just double checked their FB page. Fireworks at midnight tonight. :)
    NEW YEAR’S EVE FIREWORKS

Date: December 31st
    Time: 12 midnight
    Cost: Free

At exactly 12 midnight on December 31st Dun Laoghaire Harbour will sparkle for the first time ever on New Year’s Eve with a dazzling fireworks display to welcome 2013.

With the success of the second annual summer fireworks display in August we are planning to welcome in the New Year with an even bigger bang. The team that brought you last summer’s event have been working hard for the past three months designing a display that will feature over two tonnes of fireworks.

Be sure to join us in Dun Laoghaire for this historic event on December 31st.

We recommend that the best place to view the show is at Newtownsmith.

There will be limited access to a viewing area on the East Pier and no access to the West Pier during the event.

If you can’t make it to Dun Laoghaire the show will be visible from anywhere around Dublin Bay.

Please note, to facilitate the set up of the Festival Fireworks on Monday 31st December, a phased, temporary closure will take place on the East Pier. A 100m section of the upper walkway of the East Pier from the Battery will be closed to the public from 8am to 2pm. This section will extend to 200m from 2pm to 10pm.

All sections of the Lower walkway of the East Pier will remain open during this time. Access to the East Pier will be controlled from 10pm, with Pier users asked to remain within the viewing area from 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

whatnext wrote: »
    Looking out my window in shock at a fireworks display at 8pm on New Year's Eve.

I'm assuming this is organised by the state or some quango! No one but a civil servant could possibly be responsible for organising it four hours before what is largely accepted as the biggest annual party on earth?

There must have been at least a couple of hindered grand gone up in smoke there.

Hindered grand !

Are you South African by any chance ?

Larianne wrote: »
    Yes. Just double checked their FB page. Fireworks at midnight tonight. :)

Sound just checked myself...Il give it a whril! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Heard the fireworks only lasted about ten minutes. Anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Gaspode - Not even 10 mins...

Gaspode wrote: »
    Heard the fireworks only lasted about ten minutes. Anyone confirm?

7 minutes, unfortunately....:(

Plus, a lot of them did not have much height, so they exploded aroud tree height which put a downer on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hopefully that was technical issues and not the planned show!

Gaspode wrote: »
    Hopefully that was technical issues and not the planned show!

Not sure man. Now, there were plenty that were of decent height but id say 1/5th of them were way too low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

anyone care to post (when they get back) what the craic was like around College Green tonight. Imelda did a good set from my sofa anyway. Weather held up so tell me, what was it like for those out there in person...

Happy New Year to all Boardsies.

Advertisement