Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin New Year's Eve Thread [Merged Threads]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

howiya wrote: »
    €20 to stand in a public place such as College Green seems excessive. Then again they get away with charging multiples of that for concerts in our parks

Agreed. Rip off Ireland alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TIMMAY!

Was I the only Irish person who was completely ashamed last night by our NYE party in College Green?

The bands were great and I am sure a lot of hard work went into it by different people. Previous years I was upset that there was not something to do on NYE and I am glad this year people took the time to organise something big. Despite this I did not enjoy it at all and I will not be going back next year, or to any further mass gatherings of drunk people organised in Dublin.

My problems with this event was mainly due the the fact there seemed to me to be no crowd control (near the stage at least) and I for one did not feel safe during the concert.
    Apart from; getting jumped on by drunken teanagers, covered in beer that people kept throwing into the crowd and almost getting burnt in the face with cigarettes several times , if there had been any panic or emergency people had no where to go and were liable to fall over bicycles and get trampled on to escape down the street. (Could the bicycles not have been removed?)

The location of the stage was absolutely absurd and only encouraged people to crush up the street over the bicycles and railings and fountain to get a view. I did not see any security near me, nor could I see the countdown clock, and it was one of the most claustrophobic experiences of my life. I wish I had not arrived so early as I would have been further back and probably would have enjoyed myself more.

Maybe pusing 31 I am just too old for this kind of thing. I dont know? The best part of the night for me was getting in the taxi home at a minute past 12, and I would love to know is there any way I can get my money back?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

TIMMAY! wrote: »
    I would love to know is there any way I can get my money back?

money back because you didnt enjoy it? really? have you ever been to an outdoor music event before?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TIMMAY!

money back because you didnt enjoy it? really? have you ever been to an outdoor music event before?

Yes I have, many times. I just not expect to get covered in beer for 3 hours at a new years concert billed as a homecoming gathering celebration. Is that unreasonable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

think you answered your own question, reckon you were too old to be there in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Happy new year everybody, I just loved this night, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

James__10 wrote: »
    Myself (20) and my girlfriend (22) are staying in the Clarion Hotel for New Years and I'm just wondering what's on in Dublin on NYE in terms of nightclubs ?

What would be the best nightclubs to go to ? Avoid etc ?

Although I wouldn't class it as a nightclub but I was in the woolshed a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good any idea what it's like on NYE ?

Cheers

We couldn't get into Diceys on Monday night as we left it fairly late and the bouncers were been dicks. On Tuesday night we ended up in some dodgey nightclub in Temple Bar think it was called Madonnas or Shenanigans ? Anyway I don't fancy heading back there.

As new years was a disaster we've decided to go back tomorrow night for a night out we will be planning on staying in Jurys on Parnell Street which is 69 euro for the night (Anywhere else in City as good as Jurys cheaper? )

Where would be the best place to try? Diceys any good on a Saturday night? Cheap drink etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

TIMMAY! wrote: »
    Was I the only Irish person who was completely ashamed last night by our NYE party in College Green?

The bands were great and I am sure a lot of hard work went into it by different people. Previous years I was upset that there was not something to do on NYE and I am glad this year people took the time to organise something big. Despite this I did not enjoy it at all and I will not be going back next year, or to any further mass gatherings of drunk people organised in Dublin.

My problems with this event was mainly due the the fact there seemed to me to be no crowd control (near the stage at least) and I for one did not feel safe during the concert.
    Apart from; getting jumped on by drunken teanagers, covered in beer that people kept throwing into the crowd and almost getting burnt in the face with cigarettes several times , if there had been any panic or emergency people had no where to go and were liable to fall over bicycles and get trampled on to escape down the street. (Could the bicycles not have been removed?)

The location of the stage was absolutely absurd and only encouraged people to crush up the street over the bicycles and railings and fountain to get a view. I did not see any security near me, nor could I see the countdown clock, and it was one of the most claustrophobic experiences of my life. I wish I had not arrived so early as I would have been further back and probably would have enjoyed myself more.

Maybe pusing 31 I am just too old for this kind of thing. I dont know? The best part of the night for me was getting in the taxi home at a minute past 12, and I would love to know is there any way I can get my money back?

I think there should have been more security walking around through the crowd and have filled that in on a survey they sent out. I know you might say you shouldn't have to but could you not have moved back anyway ?

I was further back near where the cameras and sound desk was. It was getting a bit fuller around 23:45 so we moved across to where the bar and food stalls were. You could still see the stage and screens from here but there wasn't as much of a crush. There probably were some drunk teenagers there but really no worse than any festival event I've been at anywhere in the world.

My group are all in our late thirties

I spotted a few gob****es around and a lot of non-Irish people who thought partying like the locals meant wearing silly hats and drinking more than they can handle.

All in all I thought it was fine. There was some beer flung in the air at midnight and an older couple who were in front of us chose to move back because of the exuberant dancing. The mood in general was non-threatening.

They could definitely improve the layout and planning of it but I didn't witness much to be ashamed of

Advertisement