Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 San Francisco 2013

Options
  • 30-12-2012 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hey hows it going? Myself and 2 other lads are thinking of going to San Francisco at the end of June. We probably would stay in Berkeley near UCB area because there seems to be plenty accommodation around. I was there for a week last summer (along with a week in Boston and a night in Newport) visiting lads on J1 over there and I regretted not going on the full J1 in the end to San Fran! Frat houses are the cheapest option by a mile and from being over there, they aren't too shabby! Is anyone else thinking of going out there? What plans have ye all got?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I'm heading out next week for an internship & I can Say one thing before I get there jobs aren't easy to find and it ain't cheap! Ill post up here if I see anything helpful while I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Super_Marrio

Yeah 3 of us are planning on heading to Berkeley. Gonna apply for our visa this week, still hard to gauge how much money to bring over though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Emma_Connolly

Myself and two girls are thinking the exact same! Its alot of money though, and wages aren't the best in Tyrone at the moment! lol. J1 visa looks great and berkley seems to be where the cheapest accomodation is aswell as the best craic! There's a lot to it isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I'd say bring as much as you can to keep you going! California compensates for this by having one of the highest minimum wages in the USA. San Francisco is an unreal spot even for just the week I was there. Hopefully get everything sorted in the next 2 to 3 weeks! Can't wait to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fistmemam

tell me sumthin I don't know xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

I'm also thinking of heading over to San Francisco this summer. I was wondering if anyone know of any difference between USIT and Go4less? Do you book the flights through them or...?
    Also, is it really so difficult to get a job? I don't expect to earn really, I just want to support myself while I'm out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Catfishxox

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Hey hows it going? Myself and 2 other lads are thinking of going to San Francisco at the end of June. We probably would stay in Berkeley near UCB area because there seems to be plenty accommodation around. I was there for a week last summer (along with a week in Boston and a night in Newport) visiting lads on J1 over there and I regretted not going on the full J1 in the end to San Fran! Frat houses are the cheapest option by a mile and from being over there, they aren't too shabby! Is anyone else thinking of going out there? What plans have ye all got?

Hey! Me and 4 other girls are heading to San Francisco on 1st June for the summer too :) pretty much have the same plans as you guys, frat house in Berkeley! You got any idea when we can start applying for rooms there? Anything we've found online says the summer accomodation stops mid August so we're planning a 2 week roadtrip around LA & Vegas after... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 positive thinking123

Hey guys, think me and a few friends are planning on Berkeley this year as well. Group of us were on a j1 in California last summer and its serious craic :D
    We also visited San Fran for a few days to meet up with friends who were staying in Berkeley. Jobs didn't seem hard to find. There are a lot of bike rental places in and around the Golden gate bridge and nearly everyone I was talking to up there were working in different bike places. The rent was cheap enough in the frat house and drink is really cheap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 suzy21

hi, myself and a friend are heading over this summer we have been looking at frat houses in Berkeley. Anyone know which houses are meant to be better?

Well lads im here a week now so I thought Ill give ye a bit of an update! Living in the city is probably not going to happen for ye, I am living about 20-30 mins away from the city and rent here is even very expensive. The subway(BART) is also expensive from where I am living if you have to make a return trip everyday itll cost you about $46 a week the train also stops at 1 am so a night out in the city will be hard to come by cab home for me costs about $50 (at least ye will have a choice though we had to live where we were put as we are interns) dont expect to earn a lot just expect to break even as thats what I am hoping for and I am getting above minimum wage were a bunch of interns and earning fck all. If I was ye I would focus on Berkeley ( We have heard it is a bit dangerous) but we drove up there the other night and it was amazing I preferred it way more to the city and accomodation shouldnt be a problem when the students leave although jobs might. They are massively strict here on id so far I am 22 so I have no problem if I use my passport so if your under 21 dont know if theres a point. Any questions I can answer I will, and Ill update this every so often aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Well lads im here a week now so I thought Ill give ye a bit of an update! Living in the city is probably not going to happen for ye, I am living about 20-30 mins away from the city and rent here is even very expensive. The subway(BART) is also expensive from where I am living if you have to make a return trip everyday itll cost you about $46 the train also stops at 1 am so a night out in the city will be hard to come by cab home for me costs about $50 (at least ye will have a choice though we had to live where we were put as we are interns) dont expect to earn a lot just expect to break even as thats what I am hoping for and I am getting above minimum wage were a bunch of interns and earning fck all. If I was ye I would focus on Berkeley ( We have heard it is a bit dangerous) but we drove up there the other night and it was amazing I preferred it way more to the city and accomodation shouldnt be a problem when the students leave although jobs might. They are massively strict here on id so far I am 22 so I have no problem if I use my passport so if your under 21 dont know if theres a point. Any questions I can answer I will, and Ill update this every so often aswell!

Thanks for the info Templar. If you don't mind me asking what are you interning in? I'm thinking of heading to SF this summer after I graduate on a 1 year internship, do you think there would be biological science/pharmaceutical jobs out there?

Thanks for the info Templar. If you don't mind me asking what are you interning in? I'm thinking of heading to SF this summer after I graduate on a 1 year internship, do you think there would be biological science/pharmaceutical jobs out there?

That wouldnt be my field but in my line of work ill be coming across loads of information if I hear anything Ill post it up!

That wouldnt be my field but in my line of work ill be coming across loads of information if I hear anything Ill post it up!

Thanks a million, anything at all would be a huge help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goldylocksx

Hi all, myself and friends were thinking of heading to Berkeley this summer as we heard it is cheap! Its our first j1 and wer all 22+... are we too old for Berkeley?? Some people have said that Berkeley frat houses are for younger students cz of house parties and not being 21 for clubs. Is this true?? Any advice would be great as I am new to all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 brownesauce

yeah me and a few lads are heading over to San Fran as well.

Ive been bored the last few days so ive been googling j1 related things for san fran,

found this blog thing. it seems fairly useful

http://sanfranj1.blogspot.ie/

Went out in berkely Saturday night. They were very strict on id (I'm 22 so I was grand) the semester was also not started so a lot of students were not out or back from home and it was absolutely empty so I'd imagine the summer may be the same so don't be expecting students to be around during the summer hopefully for ye there will be a big J1 population and it won't be empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rm13

3 of us girls planning on heading out to berkely for the summer too! First time j1ers! Anybody know when and how you go about applying for frat houses etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Super_Marrio

Guys we just paid the 1st installment for Go4Less and are now gonna book flights. Can we book separately or do we have to book through our J1 company? Quite puzzled here!

Where do people stay that isn't Berkeley? Or is everywhere else prohibitively expensive? It seems that Berkeley is a good bit from the city?

Where do people stay that isn't Berkeley? Or is everywhere else prohibitively expensive? It seems that Berkeley is a good bit from the city?

Everywhere is pretty expensive around the Bay Area. The reason berkely may be cheaper during the summer is the vacancies left by the students going home for the summer! Berkely is a good bit outside the city but there is the BART which is the subway but that stops operating at 12 at night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy258

Hey everyone, I'll be heading to San Fran solo on the J1.

I'll be going over in mid to late May, hoping to stay with a few Irish to make living costs manageable! I've it booked through USIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Maniacle

Paddy258 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'll be heading to San Fran solo on the J1.

I'll be going over in mid to late May, hoping to stay with a few Irish to make living costs manageable! I've it booked through USIT.

What area of San Francisco are you hoping to stay in?

A friend and I are going, but we're not staying in Berkeley. We want to be closer to the city ;)

Maniacle wrote: »
    What area of San Francisco are you hoping to stay in?

A friend and I are going, but we're not staying in Berkeley. We want to be closer to the city ;)

I'd love to live in the city but I think the cost of that is up there with Manhattan! I don't mind where I end up in San Fran as long as I get there!

Have you found any nice places there yet? Add me on Facebook if you want to talk more about it: http://www.facebook.com/patrick.devaney93

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Maniacle

Paddy258 wrote: »
    I'd love to live in the city but I think the cost of that is up there with Manhattan! I don't mind where I end up in San Fran as long as I get there!

Have you found any nice places there yet? Add me on Facebook if you want to talk more about it: http://www.facebook.com/patrick.devaney93

Hey Paddy, I got my friend (guy who I'm going with) to mail you on Facebook as mine is inactive right now. Will you send me a private mail on this about any thoughts you have about living in the city, when you're planning on leaving Ireland etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dorio

Any one else heading to San Fran and planning on living in the city?

Maniacle wrote: »
    Hey Paddy, I got my friend (guy who I'm going with) to mail you on Facebook as mine is inactive right now. Will you send me a private mail on this about any thoughts you have about living in the city, when you're planning on leaving Ireland etc

Hey, I never got that message from your friend whatever happened there?

And I can't post you a private message on here unless we're friends.

So anyway, my first choice is definitely living in the city of San Fran. As for heading out, May 23rd will be the latest I'm heading out. I'll get my exam timetable in a month or so and the only thing I know of my exams so far is that the latest one possible is on May 15th. So if I'm finished earlier than that, I'll depart much sooner than my original date of May 23rd. Have you made any travel plans yet, even rough ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 C_Brennan5

Hi all. I'm heading over this summer, myself and a large enough crowd, atm there's around 8/9 of us. Anyway, is anyone planning on looking at joing soccer clubs/sports clubs over there? I'd like to play soccer and perhaps coach at children's camps too.

C_Brennan5 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm heading over this summer, myself and a large enough crowd, atm there's around 8/9 of us. Anyway, is anyone planning on looking at joing soccer clubs/sports clubs over there? I'd like to play soccer and perhaps coach at children's camps too.

I'd be interested in joining some sports clubs over there, probably soccer and GAA. Do you reckon there'd be jobs in that line of work or have you been able to do much research into that kinda thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

Hi All,

I live here in San Francisco (not on a student thing or anything) but my tip is to contact the iipcsf here as they are the irish immigrant pastoral center in San Francisco, have loads of contacts for accommodation and also I know last year they did networking bbqs and the likes for J1ers to help get work here.

Best of luck and enjoy SF! (bring lots of money as it is definitely expensive but worth it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 cathalroarty

Hi All,

I live here in San Francisco (not on a student thing or anything) but my tip is to contact the iipcsf here as they are the irish immigrant pastoral center in San Francisco, have loads of contacts for accommodation and also I know last year they did networking bbqs and the likes for J1ers to help get work here.

Best of luck and enjoy SF! (bring lots of money as it is definitely expensive but worth it!)

I am heading out in may but a friend of mine out there will be putting me up untill i can sort out jobs and accomadation, how much money would you recomend i bring?

Advertisement