Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 San Francisco 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 canno360

yes lad me and 2 of my mates planning on going thier around the same time..! this could be handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SF2013

Heading out to San Francisco the end of May .. 2 girls . Is anyone interested in house sharing etc?

Yeah me and 2 of of mates are headin over in mid june. were lookinf for one1s to share a house with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SF2013

Where are you'd looking to stay?

to be honest were unsure yet we havnt really looked at anything yet.. were are yous thinkin?. wer lads by da way hope dat doesnt cause problems haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 alanc94

Well me and one other lad are heading over to san francisco on may 23rd and hope to stay for at least 2 months.. weve booked the flights and stuff with usit and hope stay in berkeley area because ive heard its the cheapest.. staying in a house with a good few people is what were hoping for.. were both under 21 so anyone who is interested just send me an email at alanc1994@hotmail.com .. or just a message on facebook.. also we dont have a job yet and was wondering if anyone knows if we should try get a job before we head over or if there will be plenty of jobs there for when we go over.. any links or sites ye know about jobs and accommodation there could anyone let me know about them also please..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Inspired171

Hey SF2013, myself and my friend are in the same boat as you, looking to recruit peeps to live with. I sent you a private mail there! San fran woo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pconneely07

im heading to San Fran with a few lads... staying in the city I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 killilea92

hey, myself and 4 other friends are goin over on the 19th of may if anyone is heading over that early try get accom sorted together? trying to get into one of the frat houses in Berkely.. plan is to find work and at the last 2-3 weeks go on a road trip to LA, Vegas etc.. hit up a festival or two and just have a serious time..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darragh1991

Story? Im heading out the end of may with some friends and luckily enough have accommodation sorted in the city with relatives, however last year I spent the summer in Berkeley, I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with 11 other people... some craic. More than likely your going to have to share with lots of ppl to cut down costs. You can go stay in a frat house, they are rlly good craic and all but after about a month, everyone I knew living in them were sick of them. Thats just what I was told, frat brothers act like d**k-heads and everyone is given "chores" Kitchen was pretty much useless as they were filthy. But even with all that s**t there was one frat with a pool that I would nearly put up with it for. Serious house. But yeah theres a good few students renting on Ellsworth street, its a really good location and no1 seemed to care about us having party's. Like the frat houses are pretty far from the main street in Berkeley, where the bars and the bart (transport system) is, so if your walking it every morning it will wreck your head, especially if you have had a rough night. In terms of work try to get to Ben and Jerrys down by pier 39 and fishermans wharf, if not there try bubba gump shrimp or johnny rockets in the same area, and after that try blazing saddles, its a bike rental company.... they are all over the city but the main office is just off of the fishermans wharf and thats where you will most likely get listened to properly when your handing in cv's. Also if they ask how long you are staying for in blazing saddles tell them the truth as if you actually stay as long as you told them you would they give you a bonus...the longer you actually stay the bigger the bonus but if you lie u get nothing. Lastly, make sure you get a phone or a sim card first day u get there....virgin seemed to be the best.... $60 a month and you have unlimited calls and texts and you can ring irish landlines also....then apply for your social security card/number as every single job I heard someone apply for asked for both of these straight away. I f you get them quick you will have an advantage. Sorry forgot one or two suggestions..... 4th of july...rent a big truck and drive to lake tahoe, its nuts. Had so much fun and it was rlly cheap. Take the last week and a half off, go to vegas, then rent a car and drive down route 1 (the coast road) through huntington beach, laguna beach, newport beach, long beach, santa barabara Go to D.P in Isla Vista (you wownt be sorry), San Diego, L.A, And wherever else you see fit after that. :) Hope this helped, have a good summer. I cant wait to get the F**k out of Ireland. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

Group of 4 -5 lads san fran bound too.

From what ive heard Berkeley is good but most people seem to think the city would be that bit better if you can sort accommodation!
    Very handy for going out, maybe too handy, plus you will be nearer work.

Anyone any idea of where big groups can stay in the Bay area?

Would be class to sort something, june and july anyway, after that hopefully moving on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dorio

Sound for all that darragh1991! So much info on the net it's hard to come across useful stuff. I've heard some horror stories about the frat houses and sure the city seems like great craic. Did you come across any decent websites for flatmates and such?

Yeah I was the same last year... hard to find proper info. Ah well there was 12 of us going out there so we decided to split into two groups so we wud meet new ppl and one of the lads found a place in Berkeley and we booked it and then I posted on a j1 page on f.b and said we had room for 6 and then just chatted to everyone who wrote to me and picked the soundest 6. Worked out rlly well we are all still friends and had a deadly summer. Dont get me wrong I loved being in Berkeley its really nice, for me its a toss up between living there or the city its just that Ill have it handy in the city that im going there, Like Berkeley is a really cool place and its full of students too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 killilea92

is it 21 to rent a car in cali?

Yeah, To actually rent it, But depending on which policy you get everyone who has a legitimate drivers license can drive the car so all you will need is one person over the age of 21 to put their name on the car. Also you will need a credit card for most companys (it has to be the same person who is over 21 who puts their card on the car) with a limit of at least 600 i think.... Like when you get your bank account wen u go over, (id go with bank of america as they have the most atm's in the country) you will have an option of which kind of card you want so just bring it up with them when you are setting up your account. One more thing actually, I wud bring my money over in cash and lodge it straight away, as its pretty awkward trying to transfer money from an irish account over here and if you are using your account from home every time you use the atm it takes money from you, a good bit, and It has a daily limit. If you do need to transfer money I used western union as they take f*ck all and are rlly secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 celine20

darragh by any chance do u know of any way to contact any of the frat houses bout accommodation?? iv emailed loads of different people but havnt heard anything back yet :/ were hopin 2 stay in de alpha dealta phi frat house with de pool :):)

Umm well I know a few people who lived there last year Ill ask them and see if they have any contacts for the frat brothers. If you go to google maps, head for berkeley and search till u find Piedmont Avenue, Thats where the majority of the frats are. If you dont have the accommodation sorted by the time you get there book a hostel in the city and the first day your there get the bart to Berkeley and head to piedmont and ask for Alpha Delta Phi, they'l give u directions, its kind of off the road a bit and then theres a back wooden gate that brings u to the pool, thats pretty much all I can remember as I was fairly well on it most times I was there, Sorry for the bad directions.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/roo/3641622054.html Thats a link for someone letting there right now. Might be worth your while trying to e-mail them and ask for the head fraternity brothers e-mail so u can apply to stay for the summer? Worth a go anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aliceconnor

hi , me and 1 other girl are heading sanfran 23rd of june , looking for people to share apartment / frat house etc ??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shanokello

anyone else want to share the fck out an apartment! Be unreal.. 3 or 4 of us heading out 4th of June.. dont really mind where we live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MaryKateB

Me and one other girl heading to San Fran late May, havnt sorted accommodation yet but wouldnt mind sharing with some Irish to cut costs. probably around Berkeley because is seems cheapest?! we will probably travel around first though and then look for work when the money gets tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pconneely07

any1 going to san fran for the summer playing hurling or football??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Frazersarah

Hi guys! Was in San Francisco all last summer and going back again! 4 girls (21/22) looking for people to houseshare with in the city or sunset/richmond districts! Mail if anyone's interested! :)frazersarah22@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Niamhy13

Hey me and 4 of my friends are heading to San Francisco for the summer, we're all girls and hoping to live in a frat house in Berkeley. Anyone else looking to share accommodation in Berkeley? Let us know please :))

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cormacc

Myself and two friends over for the summer. My mates are heading over the end of May and coming back the end of August. I'm heading over the 5th of June and coming back in October. Anyone else staying that long?

We'll be looking to hopefully rent a house and share it with as many as possible hopefully. If anyone is up for sharing let me know, we've no idea really where we'd like to stay. Anyone any idea where to find accommodation or jobs?? Tried looking on Criagslist but there isn't many jobs up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Happyfeet23

Hey! Myself and a friend are heading out to San Fran this summer too. I'll be arriving at the end of May or beginning of June but she's not coming until July so I'm flying solo for a month. Would be happy out to live in either Berkeley or in the city, I'm sure both would be great!

We're staying until October so if there was anybody doing the same it would be great to pile in together! We're also a little bit older than most J1ers being 23 and 24. Does anybody have contacts for frat houses or accommodation? Or any idea how much it generally costs and how long you can stay there for? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cormacc

Hey! Myself and a friend are heading out to San Fran this summer too. I'll be arriving at the end of May or beginning of June but she's not coming until July so I'm flying solo for a month. Would be happy out to live in either Berkeley or in the city, I'm sure both would be great!

We're staying until October so if there was anybody doing the same it would be great to pile in together! We're also a little bit older than most J1ers being 23 and 24. Does anybody have contacts for frat houses or accommodation? Or any idea how much it generally costs and how long you can stay there for? Thanks!

I'll say it to my friends who are coming over with me. We're a bit older too, 24-27. I'd be interested in sharing, I'll be staying till October too but my friends will be leaving in August, possibly earlier if they're travelling around before they come home. Send me a pm if you's are interested in sharing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

shanokello wrote: »
    anyone else want to share the fck out an apartment! Be unreal.. 3 or 4 of us heading out 4th of June.. dont really mind where we live!

Yeah, u sound not to fussed about it. When u headin out? Booked my flights for €520 return. If I had booked it through Go4Less it would have cost over €700!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JulzMaherxx

Catfishxox wrote: »
    Hey! Me and 4 other girls are heading to San Francisco on 1st June for the summer too :) pretty much have the same plans as you guys, frat house in Berkeley! You got any idea when we can start applying for rooms there? Anything we've found online says the summer accomodation stops mid August so we're planning a 2 week roadtrip around LA & Vegas after... :D
    we just booked san fran today ! 3 girls and basically same plan as ye to live in berkeley and travel vegas/la mis august.. maybe we could help each other out :)

• Advertisement

Hey me and 2 of my mates headin ova on the 6th of June. is any1 for up for gettin a place?

Advertisement