Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 San Francisco 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 calmcl

Hey I'm going on my first J1 this summer to San Fran, all alone! It would be great to group up with a few people who want to share accommodation, I don't mind terribly whether it's in the city or Berkeley, anything that's cheap. I'll be going 25th May, hoping to stay til the start of August then travel for a while before returning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

any1 going to san fran for the summer playing hurling or football??

Ah, the one place I thought I'd get wawy from the GAA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ashdss

hey me an 2 other gurlos headin ovr end of may.. sesh heads that wud be up for house sharing in berkley let us no :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leahm08

Hey everyone, Me and another girl (20 and 21) are heading over to San Fran on the 25th of May. We've the Green Tortoise Hostel booked for the first week, anyone booked there? Also we're definitely looking to share a house with people, don't mind where at all...Sure all of San Fran will be great craic I'm sure :P If anyones interested, you can send me a message on Facebook, probably the handiest! - https://www.facebook.com/fionnbarristhecoolest

• Registered Users Posts: 6 canno360

hey hit me on dis if your looking to share a place in san fran, its 3 lads and a girl! http://www.facebook.com/stephen.cannon.313

• Advertisement

This should get all you lot in the spirit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJdRw6VCWyA

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cormacc

To make it easier for everyone to communicate about goig over to san fran for the summer and as everyone has facebook I made a group thing on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/150515091776174/ . This should make it easier to sort out accomdation. Might try organise night outs too over there too using it. Its a closed group so other people can't act the boll*x in it. Any hassles with it send me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hi. Me and my friend have a frat house almost sorted in Berkely. We'd like to get a triple room as it works out cheaper plus its nice to get to know someone new. Message me on this if interested. A trip room works out at about 850 euros each all summer including bills. Girls only (sorry lads!! ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shinners91

hey what frat house you staying with. we want to stay in one too trying to find who to contact??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SF2013

If anyone is interested in house sharing or whatever in San Fran with two girls 20/21 please send me an email.. looking to stay in Berkley or even in the city.. skrfagan@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Mydayoff

SF2013 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in house sharing or whatever in San Fran with two girls 20/21 please send me an email.. looking to stay in Berkley or even in the city.. skrfagan@hotmail.com

Does 'anyone' include dudes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SF2013

yeah whichever really...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 canno360

dis my facebook, 3 of us looking to share too http://www.facebook.com/stephen.cannon.313

• Registered Users Posts: 1 roisin2013

calmcl wrote: »
    Hey I'm going on my first J1 this summer to San Fran, all alone!

Thank god i'm not the only one. My friends bailed last minute and I considered doing the same, but then i realised I'd rather shoot myself in the foot then stay in this country for the summer, so i'm going to San Fran by myself...YOLO and all that!!
    I was in NY last summer and myself and the girls met 7 guys in a bar and all moved in to a 2 bedroom apartment together. Had the best summer of my life!! I'm not too pushed whether I stay in the city or in Berkeley, which ever is cheapest I suppose. So if anyone is up for house sharing or knows anything about frats i'd really appreciate the heads up. It's starting to kick in that i'm doing this alone so lets just say it's a little scary.

Send me a msg on fb if anyone is up for sharing.
    http://www.facebook.com/roisin.higgins.7?ref=tn_tnmn

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

Hey guys I did my j1 in san fran last summer so can give ye a few tips which I would have loved to have known last year!

Accomodation
    If your young, free, single, like to drink and party definitely go to Berkeley its a really nice area, rent is cheaper and only takes 30 mins or more to get into san fran on the BART, depending where you are living. Rent in the city is so expensive, you will definitely be sharing and unless you are really lucky you will be living outside the city. We were out by golden gate park and I had a communte of hour and half each way as I worked on pier 39, wasnt ideal but got a basement apartment with three others for 800 dollars each for the summer which is considered seriously cheap over there.

If you have no accomodation set up beforehand I would advise booking a hostel for at least 5 days if not 7 or 8 as it takes a while to get to know the area and find accomodation. In our hostel they offered free tours of the city so definitely do this if its offered.

With the areas I think as long as your not really near the Tenderloin your ok, stumbled through there one day and was a bit scary but if your with others and its not at night and you dont look like a tourist you should be ok!

Jobs
    Id suggest getting over there as early as you can, late May, early June at the lastest. We went over around the 27th May, took a day off to recover and went down to Pier 39 on 28th and managed to secure a job that day and started work on the 30th. Dont wait around as litreally the minute I got a job down there the place was swarming with J1'ers looking for work and jobs were snapped up in no time. Do up a 1 page resume here and print off a load to bring with you. Keep it simple, especially for retail work just you name, contact details, previous experience, skills and references. It might sound dishonest but all employers want you to stay over as long as possible so if you only plan on being there until the start of August, tell them you are there till the end of August/start of September and definitely do not tell them that you are planning on travelling so can only work until August!

Id suggest looking for work at Pier 39 as there are so many shops down there and they usually take on a lot of staff and there are hundreds if not thousands of tourists down there during the summer months. Dress smart enough when you are handing around resumes as they really judge on first impressions and I also had to sell myself right on the spot, one employer asked me why I wanted the job and gave me an interview straight away so be prepared to sell yourself and why you are the best person for the job. Even if you are not very confident, just try and act a bit as Americans love confidence.

Other places to look for work would be blazing saddles, restaurants along the pier, shops/cafes in little italy, Westfield shopping centre in the city, sightseeing tours.

Just another thing, Americans love to work! They really work you hard over there, myself and my roomates would sometimes be working 50-60 hour weeks which isnt ideal but you might save enough to be able to leave job early and have proper holiday after it. Also try not to be late or appear hungover as employers there know about j1 students and are almost expecting it but still wont be happy if you stroll into work late stinking of drink.

Transport
    This is generally very good in the city, I dont have much experience of BART but my workmates who did said it was pretty good also. When you know where you are working I would advise getting a MUNI card from wallgreens and you can top it up every month. It was 65 dollars per months last summer, not sure if it has gone up. It saved me a load of money as I had to get 4 buses in and out of work everyday. If you dont have a card try and have the correct money with you as they dont give change on buses, think it is 2 dollars and your ticket is valid for 90 minutes.

Try and avoid getting the F line if possible. Always tended to break down and not turn up on time or at all! It is more for tourists to get them to the piers than for public transport.

If you are anyway sporty getting a bike is another good option, loads of people cycle in san fran and it tends to be quite safe to do this.

Weather:
    People told me beforehand that it can get very cold there but I didnt not really believe them as I thought how cold can California be in the summer compared to Ireland? Believe me it was FREEZING there in the evenings, much colder than Ireland in the summer. Around 6 or 7 the fog comes in and it really does get cold, I'd advise bringing a good jacket, especially if you are working late and waiting around for buses or if you are working on the pier the wind is freezing down there! in saying that though on the warm days its lovely to have a breeze there. At night I was wearing my pjs and a hoodie so bring some warm clothes. During the day the weather was mixed, some days it would lovely and warm and others overcast. It rarely rained though maybe 4 times in the 3 months we were there which was unbelievable coming from Ireland!

In Berkeley it is warmer than the city and the evening dont tend to be as cold either.

The expense;

Again I am not sure what it was like in Berkeley but in the city it is very very expensive for everything. If you go to a restaurant, you are charged for the food, plus tax, plus a food tax and they might put a service charge on the bill too. Four of us went out for mains, dessert and one drink each and was 150 dollars. Food shopping is very expensive too, depending on where you are living, there are a few safeway supermarkets, ask for a card as things are a lot cheaper with it, in saying that though food still is expensive, about 60 dollars a week for two people. Unfortunelty the bad food tends to be the cheapest over there but you might come across markets etc that will sell fruit and veg cheaper.

Alcohol is not that expensive at all over there, got a 3 litre smirnoff vodka for 15 dollars which is ridiculous but might please some people! Even to go to bars, the drinks are not that dear, just down by the Pier or anywhere it is touristy prices go way up. I'd recommend going to the Marina some time. They have nice bars and its pretty cheap.

Other tips

If you are not 21, you will probably not get into pubs/clubs in the city. They are so strict over there, my roomate who was 21 forgot his id and wasnt even allowed to stand with us in the pub he had to wait outside until we finished our drinks! Also if your buying drink in the supermarket they usually ask for id. My friends was 28 and looked it and got asked everytime for id and would not accept his driving licence either so bring your passport when buying drink.

go to alcatraz if you can!! I cudnt because I left it too late to book tickets, there is usually a 2-3 week waiting list so book early. Also bike across golden gate bridge the experiece was just unreal! I also regret not going to vegas, if you get a few days off work together,, GO!! Flight tickets only tend to be 100 dollars or bit more and its a very short flight. From what others have it is well worth going. Chinatown was brilliant, really cheap touirst things, good for food too.

Like the Irish Immigration Pastoral Centre San Francisco on Facebook and check out their website and get them to send your thier booklet for J1's. I found their info way better than USIT. They have an office in Richmond I think and are really nice and helpful, they have seminars too on how to find work/accomodation when you are over there and have free internet to look up jobs etc. I found two of my roomates through their Facebook page so would recommend giving it a like!

If anyone wants to know anything else feel free to ask :) and enjoy san fran it is an amazing place and i'd love to be going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 puddles123

hey myself and a friend are heading out too, i heard the same myself we are both 22 and finished college this year, i want a good time but dont think i would like a real young party scene same as urslef! if u hear anything could u let me know cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MHiggins91

ok.....

myself and my friend heading over the start of june (probably 2nd/3rd) im 22 and hes 20 both from galway. problem is that he has to go home in july for repeats (the joys of being in nuig) so were gonna have to find people to share accom with, lads/girls doesnt matter which, or how many!! hate having to try market myself to randomers over the internet but we are genuinely good lads, get on with pretty much anyone and up for pretty much anything for the summer

thing is...
    still cant ****ing decide between san fran and berkeley :(

from what i gather these are what either place has going for it:

Berkeley
    Cheaper, easier to get accom, frat houses meant to be unreal, lots of house parties, loads of irish (not sure whether this is a pro or a con !), better weather..
    but
    **** all jobs supposedly, have to commute half an hour to the city, waaay less places for goin out (only a couple of bars supposedly) and the BART stops at 1am so would make goin out in the city pretty much impossible..

San Fran
    Would have a lot more going on in it, waaay easier to find jobs in (and wouldnt have to worry as much about the commute), meet more americans (dunno if this is a pro or a con either!) and of course one of the greatest cities in the world blah blah blah
    but....
    obviously accommodation way more expensive plus way harder to find, weather meant to be fairly ****e, would have to settle for fairly ****ty accommodation and most likely have to con the landlord that theres less people (had to do it in chicago few years ago and it can be stressful enough!!)

ok so if theres anyone here reading this and they think they might be on the same wavelength, and is looking for people to share send me an email at m.higgins16@nuigalway.ie and let us know how your own plans are shaping up

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niallgibb

hey,
    First time going on J1, heading out to san francisco on 22nd of May, returning on the end of August.
    Some friends have bailed and im flying solo. 22 year old male, not really bothered where i live but hoping for it to be
    reasonable cheap. Hit me up if anyone still looking for people to share with for accomadation. Just joined facebook page there
    that was recommended for Irish j1's heading to san fran so hoping that can also set the ball rolling. Hoping for a summer to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MHiggins91

dunno if ya saw my post up there heading over with another lad, but im in the same boat as you looking for people to share with in the city,preferably a 2 bed n cram as many in as we can get away with!(id say 3 to a room is probably realistic)if youre interested in trying to get the ball rolling my email address is m.higgins16@nuigalway.ie, only problem is im not gonna be heading til 2nd/3rd june..exams finished 31st of may so no choice im afraid!

niallgibb wrote: »
    hey,
    First time going on J1, heading out to san francisco on 22nd of May, returning on the end of August.
    Some friends have bailed and im flying solo. 22 year old male, not really bothered where i live but hoping for it to be
    reasonable cheap. Hit me up if anyone still looking for people to share with for accomadation. Just joined facebook page there
    that was recommended for Irish j1's heading to san fran so hoping that can also set the ball rolling. Hoping for a summer to remember.

I'm heading solo too.. arriving on the 29th May. Looking for someone to stay with. Where you from?

• Advertisement

I liked san francisco when i was there, but there's one problem. It has the highest % population of chinese in the U.S. The probably more there now than when i was there last. When i was in chicago there was none of them. They just seem to target san fran!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy258

Anyone gonna be in the city in time for this?

http://www.baytobreakers.com/

Looks pretty good from the various YouTube clips anyway!

Paddy258 wrote: »
    Anyone gonna be in the city in time for this?

http://www.baytobreakers.com/

Looks pretty good from the various YouTube clips anyway!

Oh hay paddy. i wont be there that early. where are u stayin out there anyway????

Mydayoff wrote: »
    Oh hay paddy. i wont be there that early. where are u stayin out there anyway????

I'll have a hostel booked for the first week and spend that week househunting then for something for the summer. Definitely going to be staying in the city anyway.

Have you got anywhere yet?

I'll have a hostel booked for the first week and spend that week househunting then for something for the summer. Definitely going to be staying in the city anyway.

Have you got anywhere yet?

Well if your staying in the city, AND staying alone that will make it even more expensive.

No, i havent got anywhere yet but i will most likely fall back on my plan B, to berkeley accommodation. id feel less nervous about paying over the internet with them!!

Well if your staying in the city, AND staying alone that will make it even more expensive.

No, i havent got anywhere yet but i will most likely fall back on my plan B, to berkeley accommodation. id feel less nervous about paying over the internet with them!!

I haven't a notion of living alone. That's not feasible for locals, nevermind visiting students.

Yeah, that's why I've booked the hostel for a week, so I can look around at housing and meet the landlords. I've heard of plenty of scams done on Craigslist where people pay via PayPal for a place and it turns out the accommodation was never for rent in the first place.

I haven't a notion of living alone. That's not feasible for locals, nevermind visiting students.

Yeah, that's why I've booked the hostel for a week, so I can look around at housing and meet the landlords. I've heard of plenty of scams done on Craigslist where people pay via PayPal for a place and it turns out the accommodation was never for rent in the first place.

House hunting while job hunting might take its tole, especially while doing all that other immigration sh*te. Id feel better knowing the accommodation is sorted(if I at least knew where) while looking for jobs.

Ya, but u'll be staying alone in the sense that the people u'll be staying with wont know you. At least they won't be irish!

House hunting while job hunting might take its tole, especially while doing all that other immigration sh*te. Id feel better knowing the accommodation is sorted(if I at least knew where) while looking for jobs.

Ya, but u'll be staying alone in the sense that the people u'll be staying with wont know you. At least they won't be irish!

I've a job sorted in the city which is why I want to stay in there so much, just the handiness for commuting to work. I've everything pretty much sorted besides housing for the three months I'll be there.

Well I will be out there about a month ahead of the rest of the J1ers so I'm not gonna be with Irish for that time anyway. You don't go to France or Spain or China to go and stay with fellow Irish and get hammered and play gaelic or hurling. You go to new places to meet new people and do new things! :)

I've a job sorted in the city which is why I want to stay in there so much, just the handiness for commuting to work. I've everything pretty much sorted besides housing for the three months I'll be there.

Well I will be out there about a month ahead of the rest of the J1ers so I'm not gonna be with Irish for that time anyway. You don't go to France or Spain or China to go and stay with fellow Irish and get hammered and play gaelic or hurling. You go to new places to meet new people and do new things! :)

You're right but it would still be good to sort of have one anchor person. How did u manage to get a job. Was there a skype interview involved, or was it because you were out there before? What sort of a job is it??

• Advertisement

You're right but it would still be good to sort of have one anchor person. How did u manage to get a job. Was there a skype interview involved, or was it because you were out there before? What sort of a job is it??

I have a relation over there in the city so I'm fine in that aspect. Had a Skype interview, just applied to loads of pub, restaurants, cafes and one guy said he'd hire me on account of me being out so early.

Advertisement