Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 San Francisco 2013

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Mydayoff

Paddy258 wrote: »
    I have a relation over there in the city so I'm fine in that aspect. Had a Skype interview, just applied to loads of pub, restaurants, cafes and one guy said he'd hire me on account of me being out so early.

What general area did you get your job in? Is it in the Fisherman's Wharf area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Cg92 wrote: »
    Hey, there's a few of us heading to San Fran for the summer. I am just wondering would it be hard to get a job for girls with no J1 just a holiday visa? Do they ask for all your J1 details for all jobs? I was there before but it was a few years ago and I was only asked for my J1 details once for one of the jobs I had, most other jobs was cash in hand.. Also there is 2 girls and 4 guys going in are group and we are looking to stay in the sunset area or in around the city as its easier to get around in rather then traveling in and out from Berkeley. Ino the accommodation is cheaper out there but it's a hassle as some of us have jobs lined up already. Any questions about San Fran ask away ill try answer I no it well enough.. Cheers:D

Just do not do it - it is against the law and just not worth it. Aside from it being illegal and morally wrong, if you get caught you could face deportation and a lifetime ban from the US.

If you don't have a j1 you will be treated like crap, not get the minimum wage (which is already low...around $13).

Also, if the border guards get even a sniff or suspect what the plan is, they will not admit you and ban you for 3-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy258

Yeah, the Wharf.

Just do not do it - it is against the law and just not worth it. Aside from it being illegal and morally wrong, if you get caught you could face deportation and a lifetime ban from the US.

If you don't have a j1 you will be treated like crap, not get the minimum wage (which is already low...around $13).

The minimum wage has to be lower than $13. That's quite high. I'm sure u're wrong there

Mydayoff wrote: »
    The minimum wage has to be lower than $13. That's quite high. I'm sure u're wrong there

cheerfully withdrawn

$10.55 is the minimum in San Francisco City and Country

http://sfgsa.org/index.aspx?page=411

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

cheerfully withdrawn

$10.55 is the minimum in San Francisco City and Country

http://sfgsa.org/index.aspx?page=411

To you think it would be easy to gig anywhere in San Fran as I'll be bringing my guitar. I sometimes do open mic nights in cork(mostly on my own). Obviously I wouldn't expect to get paid for it, do you you know of any bars that would cater for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MaryKateB

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    Hi. Me and my friend have a frat house almost sorted in Berkely. We'd like to get a triple room as it works out cheaper plus its nice to get to know someone new. Message me on this if interested. A trip room works out at about 850 euros each all summer including bills. Girls only (sorry lads!! ) :)

Hey me and a friend are looking to stay in a frat in Berkeley too, I've emailed two frat houses but havnt heard anything back yet. are you still looking for people to share? we are going over end of may to mid august, two girls 20 and 22. msg me on facebook if your interested or if anyone else is interested in sharing accommodation this summer https://www.facebook.com/mk.benville?ref=tn_tnmn

• Registered Users Posts: 37 killilea92

Well lads im here a week now so I thought Ill give ye a bit of an update! Living in the city is probably not going to happen for ye, I am living about 20-30 mins away from the city and rent here is even very expensive. The subway(BART) is also expensive from where I am living if you have to make a return trip everyday itll cost you about $46 a week the train also stops at 1 am so a night out in the city will be hard to come by cab home for me costs about $50 (at least ye will have a choice though we had to live where we were put as we are interns) dont expect to earn a lot just expect to break even as thats what I am hoping for and I am getting above minimum wage were a bunch of interns and earning fck all. If I was ye I would focus on Berkeley ( We have heard it is a bit dangerous) but we drove up there the other night and it was amazing I preferred it way more to the city and accomodation shouldnt be a problem when the students leave although jobs might. They are massively strict here on id so far I am 22 so I have no problem if I use my passport so if your under 21 dont know if theres a point. Any questions I can answer I will, and Ill update this every so often aswell!

did you get the clipper for the BART? its something like $74 for a months travel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MaryKateB wrote: »
    Hey me and a friend are looking to stay in a frat in Berkeley too, I've emailed two frat houses but havnt heard anything back yet.

This was on another thread but... Fraternity houses are for boys, Sorority houses are for girls. And yes, I realize its "off season"... But you may have better luck writing to a Sorority?

Just a thought.

I liked san francisco when i was there, but there's one problem. It has the highest % population of chinese in the U.S. The probably more there now than when i was there last. When i was in chicago there was none of them. They just seem to target san fran!

I'm sure a lot of the native san franciscans say the same thing about kids coming into the city for 3 months of partying and drinking

Also....San Francisco has a high population of asians...so what? I love that within a 5 block radius of home I can get incredible Chinese food from San Tung, sushi that is second only to tokyo, Pho that is pretty comparable to Vietnam

The diversity is what makes this city great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The diversity is what makes this city great

Really.

I wonder does he realize "Chinatown" is one the cities biggest Tourist Attractions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_San_Francisco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**** Posts containing racist statements and personal abuse have been removed. Knock it off! No racism will be tolerated here. If you see such, report it rather than reply to it. ******

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Has anyone actually been in contact with the fraternities in Berkley this year? If so what was the general consensus on rent/facilities?

Has anyone actually been in contact with the fraternities in Berkley this year? If so what was the general consensus on rent/facilities?

I've been in touch with a few. My question is; should i book early to make sure i get a place. Is there a chance that i mightn't get a place in the frats if i leave it too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aido321

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    Hi. Me and my friend have a frat house almost sorted in Berkely. We'd like to get a triple room as it works out cheaper plus its nice to get to know someone new. Message me on this if interested. A trip room works out at about 850 euros each all summer including bills. Girls only (sorry lads!! ) :)

Hey..
    Me and 5 friends are heading berkeley and haven't got replies from frat houses despite sending countless emails :(
    Any chance you could email me how you got in contact with the frat house or what their email is?
    please use the PM function- it is not a good idea to put personal email or phone number in public forums- Silja, moderator
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

I've been in touch with a few. My question is; should i book early to make sure i get a place. Is there a chance that i mightn't get a place in the frats if i leave it too late?

Any chance you could private message me the addresses you sent to?

Having no experience in san fran I would say book it. I've been looking at places for the last month or so and my god its hard to find suitable accomodation. Also If your looking to sort accomodation before you get over there I wouldnt really feel comfortable wiring people deposits and stuff. At least this way you know its legit

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MHiggins91

could you please send me the email addresses of the frat houses who actually replied to you? ive emailed all of the ones on the IIPC j1 handbook and some of the emails failed to send while the ones that did might as well not have - i.e. completely ignored by the looks of it.
    maybe theyve already gotten too many applicants or maybe theyre not bothered reading all their emails, but just in case id really appreciate if you could email the addresses who have actually replied to you to me at Please do not post personal email addresses or phone numbers publicly, it's just not good internet safety. Use the PM function instead- silja, moderator.

im only going over with 1 other guy so if i was to get into a frat house im not gonna be filling it up with a gang of lads dont worry! :P

Could you post me addresses too? Struggling to get in contact with any :(
    Cheers

MHiggins91 wrote: »
    could you please send me the email addresses of the frat houses who actually replied to you? ive emailed all of the ones on the IIPC j1 handbook and some of the emails failed to send while the ones that did might as well not have - i.e. completely ignored by the looks of it.
    maybe theyve already gotten too many applicants or maybe theyre not bothered reading all their emails, but just in case id really appreciate if you could email the addresses who have actually replied to you to me at Please do not post personal email addresses or phone numbers publicly, it's just not good internet safety. Use the PM function instead- silja, moderator.

im only going over with 1 other guy so if i was to get into a frat house im not gonna be filling it up with a gang of lads dont worry! :P

What the big deal about posting email addresses publicly? Do you think that someone might send a virus via email?? lol. Didn't you post your email address publically which i think i saw?? lolo lolo lo l o l o

Our thoughts should now be with the injured in Boston. This isn't just another bomb in Iraq. This is the western world, and this IS real

• Advertisement

People in the east are just as human as people in the west! Race or colour doesn't matter they're human too! 12 kids were killed yesterday by a us air strike too. And this is off topic this is supposed to be a forum about j1 in San Francisco! Keep on point!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cathalroarty

Anyone know of anyone's previous experiences with house sharing? as in cramming a load of people into a house on the sly and keeping it on the DL from the landlord?

Anyone know of anyone's previous experiences with house sharing? as in cramming a load of people into a house on the sly and keeping it on the DL from the landlord?

MHiggans does, lets hope he shares with us! im after 4getting ur situation. Ur staying with a friend until someone else comes out.. is that right? Are you for roommates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cathalroarty

No I'm staying with a friend until we get on out feet and sort out jobs and accommodation, there's already 7 of us heading out so nah not looking for roommates. Sory dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 moored7

Me and a few friends are heading over to Berkeley at the end of May on a J1 and were thinking about staying in a Frat there. Does anyone know how you go about getting accommodation in a Frat? Any info would be really helpful.

Thanks

moored7 wrote: »
    Me and a few friends are heading over to Berkeley at the end of May on a J1 and were thinking about staying in a Frat there. Does anyone know how you go about getting accommodation in a Frat? Any info would be really helpful.

Thanks

Are you on the facebook group?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

its not worth the hassle, landlord will probably find out, if he doesnt see it himself, someone else probably will and ye will all be kicked out. Best off being upfront with the landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Its do-able but you'd really have to be very sure your neighbours wouldn't 'rat you out' and let your landlord know what's really going on. We managed to pull it off but were lucky that everyone else in our block were around the same age as us and didn't really mind the noise , as they were at it too. Our landlord lived in Sacramento so we only saw her twice , once when we moved in and lastly when we moved out .

But if you were in a quieter block it would be tricky I'd imagine. A bunch of hard-partying J1'ers will get found out pretty quickly I'd say!

Good luck to all heading to SF, I'm heading back there myself in a few weeks , only as an older and wiser(ish) 30 something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EEBlaney

Myself and my friend are heading over to Berkeley on the 5th and are looking for 2-4 other people to share the apartment we have rented from June to the end of august, its pretty cheap, and no more than 3 blocks from the frat house region and 10 minutes from the college and the BART station, if yous or anyone you know of are interested please let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

EEBlaney wrote: »
    Myself and my friend are heading over to Berkeley on the 5th and are looking for 2-4 other people to share the apartment we have rented from June to the end of august, its pretty cheap, and no more than 3 blocks from the frat house region and 10 minutes from the college and the BART station, if yous or anyone you know of are interested please let me know!

I'm interested. In San Fran(itself) at the moment and it's costing me a bit.

Advertisement