Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newsstand not working

• 30-12-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

Used newsstand for the first time last night. Bought FHM and had a read of it for a while, the battery on the iPad died while I was reading so after powering it back up I had to sync my newsstand thing and then I could click on view to see the mag.

It looked like it was about to open the same as it did but after the big FHM logo appeared the screen went black and whenever I click on newsstand it just brings me to that black screen again. Tried powering off then on again and all that happened was the FHM logo for a second then the black screen!

It was only 89c so I'm not overly worried about it but I had considered subscribing to it, I certainly won't be if it doesn't work! Anyone know how to sort this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Delete the app and reinstall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Delete the app and reinstall.

Dunno why I never thought of doing that :o

Works now so hopefully it was just a dodgy download the first time round

Edit: powered it off and on again to see if it happened again and it's working grand now! I didn't need to click the sync button this time though, I could just press view and there it was! Thanks very much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

A Hard Reset. Turning it off with the slider is NOT turning off the iPhone, only sleeping it.

Piliger wrote: »
    A Hard Reset. Turning it off with the slider is NOT turning off the iPhone, only sleeping it.

I dunno why people on this are so crazy about hard resets, I've had 4 iPhones and an iPad, I've never done a hard reset and I've never had any problems with em. I do let the battery run out often enough though

Edit: my post wasn't meant to be rude or anything, but in the last few weeks I've see the words "hard reset" about 50 times on this :)

I dunno why people on this are so crazy about hard resets, I've had 4 iPhones and an iPad, I've never done a hard reset and I've never had any problems with em. I do let the battery run out often enough though

Edit: my post wasn't meant to be rude or anything, but in the last few weeks I've see the words "hard reset" about 50 times on this :)

The reason is a good one. The iPhone, like all smart phones, are really small computers.

All OSs and all software suffer from glitches from time to time. It is just the way software and hardware are.

When little problems arise on our desktops, we reboot and this relaunches the OS and software and usually solves those small problems.

Many people turn their iPhone off, thinking they are rebooting. This is not the case and this is why it is so often mentioned in giving advice over solving people's problems who come to forums like this asking why this and that don't work correctly.

Your claim that you have never had to do such a thing is great. You are lucky. Enjoy it. But that doesn't mean others don't have problems that are often quickly solved by a hard reset. Recently I myself has a small problem with my new iPhone5. It would not show the call history at all. A hard reset immediately solved this. And just like turning off your desk top from time to time to refresh caches, clear the RAM and reset the software is a good thing .... the same goes for an iPhone.

• Advertisement

Now that I read this, my previous 4S suffered from a few little glitches from time to time. Just random apps closing here and there and a few other little things, never enough for me to get wound up but maybe this would of solved it!

Does letting the battery run flat do the same thing as a hard reset? As I very rarely let my phone run out

No. It will stop at about 10% and go to sleep. A hard reset often clears minor little glitches.

Advertisement