Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

T-Rex Trike

• 30-12-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Lads,
    Looking for advice and help,

Im looking to buy something like a t-rex but without the price tag in the us!!;)

I have came across a few chinese web sites but dono if they can be trusted.
    rangboo.com
    Also if you go on made-in-china and type three wheel trike or three wheel motorcycle a few will pop up so i started emailing a load of them and they all came back with nearlly the same prices from $1800 - $2950 including delivery to my door!!!:eek:

So normally if it sounds to good to be true then it normally is.

Then there is the chinese type called the ztr 250 trike which looks pretty good for a chinese trike apart from its only a 250cc but the really question is can these sites be trusted lads?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You'll probably have issues registering and insuring it. Have you looked into that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its all very well looking at bikes that are made in China, some of them are pretty good now. NK650 etc.
    If you self import a bike it will have to pass EU type approval standards before you get it in the country and Parts become a an issue if there is only one in the country.
    Engine parts may or may not be common with other bikes but if anything breaks or fails you are waiting on a part to be sent from China and if the model is out of production then you either have to fabricate one or scrap the bike.
    You need to buy from an established importer that carries spares in Europe at the least.
    Buying a vehicle is only part of ownership, keeping it running (well) is another.
    If you go around the country there are hundreds of Chinese minibikes, scooters, buggies and quads sitting idle in sheds for lack of parts.
    Do you think yours will be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Andy111111

To be honest i dont think mine would be any different and this is true i do know many people that have bought and scrapped chinese junk,
    The Ztr 250 is eu approved but i suppose how reliable is it is another thing.
    I have a go kart for drifting, 08 gsxr 600, 04 honda cr250 for motorcross, just looking for another toy for the next summer.
    Normally in the summer a group of us through out ireland meet up and go for a cruise around. but it would be sick if i pulled up in a t-rex!
    Theres a guy i seen going around in some sort of a trike but looks like a car!! it tilts when cornering think it was called a carver and theres a guy with Half a old vw beetle welded to a bike? the back half is welded to the front of the bike like a cruiser or something.
    Then theres a three-wheeled Reliant Regal car's going around.
    How did these lads get insurance, there must be ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

I have a more "conventional" trike myself, but I live in Co. Antrim and know the red tape is a bit different in the south. This info may be out of date by now, but my understanding was that it was only possible to get insurance through Carole Nash (and possibly AON) for trikes registered in the 26 counties, and then only for either factory-built trikes (such as Rewaco/Boom etc) or for trikes based on a bike - i.e. nothing built using the back end of a Beetle or car engine. So before going any further you might want to check with them for a quote.

I'm not certain what the craic is with registering something like the T-Rex in the south - logically it should fall under the category of a bike conversion, so getting insurance shouldn't be an issue. I know a couple of lads with machines like this (including one that's for sale in Co. Down, as it happens).

I can't remember what the view is on here regarding posting links to other sites, but if anyone objects to this next bit feel free to report/remove:
    You should be able to get some more accurate & up-to-date advice from a chap calling himself Reaper on the forum at btwireland.com - he lives in Dublin and has helped a few guys with questions regarding registration & insurance. He's a sound lad. You'll also see a hammerhead-style trike in the For Sale section on there.

Advertisement