Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First smart phone

Options
  • 30-12-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice in a first smart phone. My wife wants to stay on ready to go as she only spends 20euro a month but wants to get a smart phone. iPhone is out as she can't afford one so what is the best option?
    She has always used Nokia up to now
    She will be looking to use it mainly for checking Facebook & email. Wifi is essential aswell. Is it possible to get something that suits for in or around 100-150€ ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The lumia 800 is good value at around €149. What network is she on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Davy wrote: »
    The lumia 800 is good value at around €149. What network is she on?
    She's on O2 as are most of family and friends hence the 20euro a month

She's on O2 as are most of family and friends hence the 20euro a month
    Just wondering if there's any more advice on this one guys... Looking to get a phone tomorrow.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just wondering if there's any more advice on this one guys... Looking to get a phone tomorrow.
    Thanks
    The lumia 610 99euro or the sony tipo 89 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

O2 is a carp choice of network for a smartphone, she should really consider changing networks now rather than later. She'll have a smartphone but won't be able to use it's potential. It makes very little odds that some of her friends are still on 02 as with the right network she can nearly call everybody everywhere for free with the smartphone.

• Advertisement

O2 is a carp choice of network for a smartphone, she should really consider changing networks now rather than later. She'll have a smartphone but won't be able to use it's potential. It makes very little odds that some of her friends are still on 02 as with the right network she can nearly call everybody everywhere for free with the smartphone.

I agree .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

If she wants to stick with nokia then the lumia one be the best. 800 version best on the market I think but I personally wouldn't get a lumia I don't like the windows os on it and the features but that's just me, I prefer samsung to any of them. I don't personally like the sony or the iphones. That's just me. I think the 900 version of the lumia is to be out if not out already?

doovdela wrote: »
    If she wants to stick with nokia then the lumia one be the best. 800 version best on the market I think but I personally wouldn't get a lumia I don't like the windows os on it and the features but that's just me, I prefer samsung to any of them. I don't personally like the sony or the iphones. That's just me. I think the 900 version of the lumia is to be out if not out already?
    The 900 is only on voda online.and expensive.
    The 820/920 due in the next month or two ,again exoensive.so the 800 maybe best bet.

Ah maybe go for the 920 when its out. Mixed reaction and reviews on the Lumia 800 but I say its good enough based on the specs! Lumia 800 be worth spending on if the 900 lumia is expensive and only bought online with vodafone i'd be wary of getting it online anyway. Best stick with 02 if that is the network she is on. Doesn't matter what network she on, the internet broadband isn't always great here depends where you are located I say. So stick with o2 I say they slightly better internet than vodafone. If she can get 3G on the phone she be sorted, eventually 4G is to be out in January which apply to vodafone I'm sure will apply to other networks and o2.

Ah maybe go for the 920 when its out. Mixed reaction and reviews on the Lumia 800 but I say its good enough based on the specs! Lumia 800 be worth spending on if the 900 lumia is expensive and only bought online with vodafone i'd be wary of getting it online anyway. Best stick with 02 if that is the network she is on. Doesn't matter what network she on, the internet broadband isn't always great here depends where you are located I say. So stick with o2 I say they slightly better internet than vodafone. If she can get 3G on the phone she be sorted, eventually 4G is to be out in January which apply to vodafone I'm sure will apply to other networks and o2.
    The 920 is excellent been using one since october.
    It will be pricey but the 820 is a close second.
    But there is a 620 also due out very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 springhill6

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice in a first smart phone. My wife wants to stay on ready to go as she only spends 20euro a month but wants to get a smart phone. iPhone is out as she can't afford one so what is the best option?
    She has always used Nokia up to now
    She will be looking to use it mainly for checking Facebook & email. Wifi is essential aswell. Is it possible to get something that suits for in or around 100-150€ ?

Thanks in advance

Samsung Galaxy Mini for Eu 79 at Tesco. I switched from O2 to Tesco mobile to get this phone.
    Light and tidy phone. I use on Wifi most of time. Top up Eu 10 and Tesco add on another Eu 10.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=94

Can this be elaborated on a little please?

Can this be elaborated on a little please?

I think what they meant was viber/skype!

I think what they meant was viber/skype!
    Hi all, thanks for advice. She went with the Nokia asha because o2 told us it could access wifi to use the Facebook app and this wouldn't affect her €20 prepaid credit a month. This HASN'T been the case... Every time she tries to access the wifi she isn't let without turning on mobile connectivity & this incites a charge of a euro a day??? Surely there's a way to access the wifi without having to pay to connect to it in our own home? I'm currently using the same wifi free on my iPhone
    Thanks for any advice

They took the proper piss out of your wife, she's on a **** price plan for a smartphone and to make things even worse they sold her a pig of a phone that's well outdated.
    Honestly you need to look at other networks and stop listening to 02's bull**** advise of using wifi for data with a smartphone.
    If you want to know what to do next, sell the asha and jump ship before they completely empty your wallet.

They took the proper piss out of your wife, she's on a **** price plan for a smartphone and to make things even worse they sold her a pig of a phone that's well outdated.
    Well unfortunately that's what happened so and there is no chance of her selling it in. Basically she wants a phone to use as a phone for calls and txt but also wants to use it to check Facebook and twitter etc at home on the wifi instead of always having to go to the laptop... Surely this phone on 20€ a month ready to go is capable of this?

No it's not really capable, it's capable in a 2007 sort of way, not 2013 smart phone sort of way.
    She did not buy what is considered to be a "smart phone".
    She's been completely lied to by the sales assistant.

No it's not really capable, it's capable in a 2007 sort of way, not 2013 smart phone sort of way.
    This is a disaster as the cash is hard enough to come by hence the 20€ a month with her mates and family on O2 she can call/txt them for free. What are our options since its only been bought yesterday ?

Hi all, thanks for advice. She went with the Nokia asha because o2 told us it could access wifi to use the Facebook app and this wouldn't affect her €20 prepaid credit a month. This HASN'T been the case... Every time she tries to access the wifi she isn't let without turning on mobile connectivity & this incites a charge of a euro a day??? Surely there's a way to access the wifi without having to pay to connect to it in our own home? I'm currently using the same wifi free on my iPhone
    Thanks for any advice

you can turn off the mobile data almost all phones will let data run while wifi is connected.
    Which asha did you get?

Well unfortunately that's what happened so and there is no chance of her selling it in. Basically she wants a phone to use as a phone for calls and txt but also wants to use it to check Facebook and twitter etc at home on the wifi instead of always having to go to the laptop... Surely this phone on 20€ a month ready to go is capable of this?

It is capable of doing that, but most phones are, doesnt need to be a 'smartphone'.

You should be able to change the settings so it doesn't connect to packet data while wlan is on. You could go back to the shop and make them do it, and if they cant tell them you want to change the phone as its not doing what they said it would.

• Advertisement

Little over the top, the op wanted something for facebook and twitter while at home using wifi. Dont really need a smartphone for this, so saved a few quid. Not sure how she has been completely lied to

jimmynokia wrote: »
    you can turn off the mobile data almost all phones will let data run while wifi is connected.
    Which asha did you get?

Asha 311
    thanks

Asha 311
    thanks

Go to menu Settings > Connectivity > Mobile Data turn to off

Let me know how you get on some apps will run on there own accord especially whatsapp.

If you need any help just ask

Advertisement