Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gasification boilers

• 30-12-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm currently looking at renovating and extending an old cottage. I'm looking at alternative heating to oil. I've just come across wood gasification boilers. Can anybody advise me on what they are like. Who can people recommend to buy from. Waht heating system are you feeding off the boiler. Rads or underfloor. Underfloor is out really for me as I would have to rip out all the existing floors.

Does the wood need to be seasoned. I have access to a forest where I can buy wood at a good price.

Any advise wood be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭The Parrot

yes it does need to be seasoned. the recommend having wood with a moisture content of 20% or less to run at there rated efficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

I have a 42 kw log gasifcation log boiler .
    Yes there brillant , but in saying that they must suit your lifestlye . As there is some physicall work in it each year . Plus i load it in the morning and evening about 7 or 8 logs a day . I have ufh and rads upstairs and the sq of the house is 2600 . I have no heating bills and a constant tank of hot water . I have my own free supply of timber .
    You will have to purchase the choped and splited logs they must be the lenght of the boiler mine that 600mm logs , smaller logs are not really suitable as they just burn out quickly . Depending om the sqf of the house and the termal qualtiy of the insultation of the house you will use any thing from 15m3 to 20m2 hardwood .
    Its a big step to take and its not all roses , i have mine a few years now and i have been through the mill with it with small problems . Be preprared to get your hand dirty as the boiler needs to be clean once every month and the flue brushed clean 3 to 5 times a years as there can be build up of black tar this happens with some pine timber . The moister content in my opion would want to be near 14 or 15 percent as the 20 percent give off to much tar . Its a very hard balancing act to get it right .
    Dont get me wrong i think there fanastic and i how have a free heating system , but it need minding and you cant let the boiler tank down over a few days or else you will be burning more timber to get the right heat .
    I cut my own timber with a chain saw , split it , stack it in a outside shed for 12 months and than move it into the boiler house to more or less kiln dry it . Theres a lot of hand balling involed .

Happy burning .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I've just come across these as well and would like to hear from others. Are they generally kept outside the house, e.g. in a garage? Do you need a chimney or can you construct a flue when installing?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

on a garage you can generally
    BarneyMc wrote: »
    construct a flue when installing

Advertisement