Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using U-Tag?

• 30-12-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭

Anyone using the new U-Tag gadget for alerting motorists to areas where speed-vans and Garda speed checks are commonly located?

http://www.u-tag.ie/

It's a Limerick-based company located in Castletroy.

I'm using it on their free evaluative basis at present and it certainly works pretty well. I haven't seen any other comments on it here or elsewhere though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I got it the other day,haven't even got around to take it out of the packaging

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

How does it work? Does it just tell you the spots where they could be stationed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Comhrá

You get a small gadget with a button to stick onto your dash or wherever which, I think, is a kind of transponder with a bluetooth connection which you need a smartphone to connect with. You then download the U-Tag app, and turn on the GPS on your phone. When you drive into a zone where the vans are known to frequent, or known Garda speed-traps, the gadget sends a signal to your phone which gives you an audible warning in time to slow down.

My technical explanation is open to correction, but that's roughly what happens.

Full details here: http://www.utag.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Not i the limerick area myself but have a friend who is using it. Was telling me he's avoided getting at least one ticket already because of the u-tag talking to him thing in time to slow down before a speed-gun van. Sounds like a great idea and kinda wish i was down in the limerick area to avail of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just registered there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not sure how well it'll read in California.... :D

Just signed up also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just registered as well! Are they still sending out devices for the free trial?
    I'm looking forward to trying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

You could also just not Break the law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I don't see what you need the gadget for. Is it only a button + audible signal? Why not use your smartphone then?

adaminho wrote: »
    You could also just not Break the law!

Its not breaking the law smartypants
    fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I don't see what you need the gadget for. Is it only a button + audible signal? Why not use your smartphone then?

Now thats breaking the law

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its not breaking the law smartypants

The speeding before you slow down is. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

What I can garner from the website is that it relies on users to press the utag button in the car if they come across a speed check? Will need alot of users before it actually becomes reliable or whatever.

All the usual haunts for gatso vans and the Síochána around Limerick are well tagged and they all sound an alert before you enter them. When you press the button, as you pass a speed-check you log that place in the data base and add it to the list of warning spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Mc Love wrote: »
    Now thats breaking the law
    not if it's in the holder

I've been using it for a week now, and I'm not impressed. Every time I turn on the car, it tags where I am as a speed trap. My house is tagged. My office is tagged. Aldi is tagged. Uninstalling and getting rid of it.

have you rang up the customer support number?

I havent come across one speed trap since i put in on the car - must make them disappear!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

MarkR wrote: »
    I've been using it for a week now, and I'm not impressed. Every time I turn on the car, it tags where I am as a speed trap. My house is tagged. My office is tagged. Aldi is tagged. Uninstalling and getting rid of it.

you live near ballycasey by any chance? as a housing estate there has become a garda zone hotspot.:D
    i have not seen a van since i got mine:confused:

full_irish wrote: »
    have you rang up the customer support number?

I sent them an email, they're looking into it.
    aman23 wrote: »
    you live near ballycasey by any chance? as a housing estate there has become a garda zone hotspot.:D
    i have not seen a van since i got mine:confused:

That's me. :) You'll also find that aldi in castletroy, my mother in law's house in caherdavin, and part of the national technology park are all hotspots of garda activity.

Actually, just remembered. I did see a van over the weekend. Nearly crashed the car in the excitement. Deployed finger to button, with smug smile on my face. Nothing happened.

Not sure if it was because it was already aware of that location (the speed trap at the start of cratloe) or whether the button is faulty.

• Advertisement

Actually, just remembered. I did see a van over the weekend. Nearly crashed the car in the excitement. Deployed finger to button, with smug smile on my face. Nothing happened.

Not sure if it was because it was already aware of that location (the speed trap at the start of cratloe) or whether the button is faulty.

What are you expecting to happen? Trumpets?

That would actually be pretty cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

had you phones bluetooth on?
    i keep forgetting:rolleyes:

aman23 wrote: »
    had you phones bluetooth on?
    i keep forgetting:rolleyes:

Bluetooth + GPS + U-TAG app all activated & you're ready.

I've found with the GPS and bluetooth both running, my phone's battery is flat in no time. You need to remember to turn them off when finished driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I've no need of U-tag really, but I've found the newer phones with near-field-communication are very handy for car use. I have a NFC tag in my car - tip off it once when I get into car = bluetooth on, GPS on, change volume, car dashboard (big buttons on main screen for phone, messages, maps) and turns off "lock screen"

Another swipe over the tag reverses all those changes. There's probably an app out there that can automate all of that without the NFC tags, but the NFC tags work well for me with a Sony Xperia.

So bluetooth is needed for the U-tag, does that prevent you using it for hands-free calling? Would a wifi connection have been a better option for the phone/u-tag link. Sick of seeing people holding/cradling phones while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

There is a sat nav app out there already called waze that has a similar functuonality and you dont need any gadget. You just mount your phone in a holder like a sat nav (I got mine for €7 on ebay) and you just press a button on screen when you see a checkpoint (or roadworks, accident, etc) and that alerts any other waze users in the area. The app also tracks how fast traffic is moving and diverts you if there is a traffic jam up ahead. Brilliant app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I'm also using this. Mind you, as previous posters have said - hardly saw a single van since activating my account and using it!

Also, was forgetting to turn on Bluetooth half the time (oops).

Neat idea - a few issues that I've noticed - the audio is quite low (even at full). It also warns for each possible van site (duplicating the role of the existing road signs) - have only had a "confirmed" voice-alert once, and the van was not there (maybe I'm just lucky this time!)

I also think it should be marketed as an incident reporting tool (oil spill / accident / etc.) as opposed to just mentioning speed vans.

But I am impressed with the set up of it - the button is discreet, but haven't had cause to use it yet (it comes with a car sticker - not sure I want to be advertising that to a Guard if I'm pulled over for anything - even though it's not breaking any law!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

langdang wrote: »
    I've no need of U-tag really, but I've found the newer phones with near-field-communication are very handy for car use. I have a NFC tag in my car - tip off it once when I get into car = bluetooth on, GPS on, change volume, car dashboard (big buttons on main screen for phone, messages, maps) and turns off "lock screen"

Another swipe over the tag reverses all those changes. There's probably an app out there that can automate all of that without the NFC tags, but the NFC tags work well for me with a Sony Xperia.

So bluetooth is needed for the U-tag, does that prevent you using it for hands-free calling? Would a wifi connection have been a better option for the phone/u-tag link. Sick of seeing people holding/cradling phones while driving.

I have the NFC tags as well as U-Tag. I haven't programmed the NFC tag yet but was under the impression that no NFC tag will programme GPS to turn on or off (on android). Is this correct?

If it can then I'll deffo programme the NFC to turn on GPS, bluetooth etc as, like a previous poster said, these apps use a lot of battery if left on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Pikasso wrote: »

I have the NFC tags as well as U-Tag. I haven't programmed the NFC tag yet but was under the impression that no NFC tag will programme GPS to turn on or off (on android). Is this correct?

If it can then I'll deffo programme the NFC to turn on GPS, bluetooth etc as, like a previous poster said, these apps use a lot of battery if left on.
    Get NFC task launcher, best app for creating tags/tasks. Definitely has a gps on/off option, just checked.

Edit -- possibly root required. Meh. Not most peoples idea of fun!

Ah - I knew I had this working - previously I had a different "car home/dashboard" app.
    NFC was launching bluetooth etc and Car Dock Home v3.
    Car Dock Home then automatically enabled GPS. Can't recall if automatically disabled it after.
    Using "car dashboard free" now. Doesn't do GPS control.

• Advertisement

I expected an audible confirmation that i'd tagged the location, like I do when I tried clicking the tag button on the phone. I get the message for no reason when my phone connects, so I assumed it would work when I wanted it to work!

Although, I do think an amusing sound effect is required. I'm thinking a tongue in cheek, oink oink?

Advertisement