Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on college life

Options
  • 30-12-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi. I'm doing a project for school on third level education in Ireland. I'd like to get some people's opinion on the university/IT/college they attend and what they think of life in general as a third level student.

All replies will be greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OwlYouNeed wrote: »
    Hi. I'm doing a project for school on third level education in Ireland. I'd like to get some people's opinion on the university/IT/college they attend and what they think of life in general as a third level student.

All replies will be greatly appreciated! :D

What specifically are you looking for? Generally you never have more sex, drink more and do less than college but I'm not sure that's what your teachers are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Hey!

I'm in Cork IT, first year, living in a student complex..

Not saying these are for everyone, but for a lot of people I know, myself included

Main differences between home and student life would be:

1. You drink a lot more. Going out once or twice a week adds up to a lot of alcohol! Pre-drinks are where we drink most as we don't want to spend a lot in town. Could get a good night out on a tenner!

2. Generally don't eat breakfast if you're in early. Getting ready for 9 for college is a dose, especially if hungover, so really you'd just get up at 8.30, shower and head straight in. You don't really notice the hunger if you're in a bad way anyway. In general you'd probably eat a lot more shíte in college than at home too, more takeaways and processed food, as less time to make "mammy" food.

3. College is a lot more lax than secondary school - you can get away with missing classes/lectures as long as you don't take it to too big of an extent.

4. You spend a lot of time with your friends and a lot less time on your own if you live in student accom. In my accom, we're never really on our own, usually either hanging out in each other's apartments until 2/3am in the morning, or else out on the town, or in college. There's a lot to do, but college work never seems to come into it!

5. Most people leave college work until the last minute. Literally. I always find myself finishing assignments at the last minute.

6. There's a lot more responsibility involved too, in that you have to clean up after yourself, cook for yourself, make sure you do all your work on time, etc. I'm not saying it always happens, cleaning is normally threw on the long-finger and only done when needed, but in general, you have to keep fairly on top of the things you have to do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Im a mature student, mid twenties so i don't feel like im to old for college - i thought that would of been the case but there a LOADS of people going back to education, people of all ages.

I like it so far, it was challenging at first coming from a working environment and i was abit rusty at certain things but after a few weeks you settle into it.

The thing that i noticed is that you really have to know your stuff going into exams. I remember being in second level school and i could always brag my way through and exam if i didn't know it but the exams we have had so far definitely test you ability (i can only speak for my own course, but i imagine its the same throughout).

As already stated, most people leave things to the last minute. I have tried to avoid doing this but i think sometimes i do it because once a project/assignment is submitted it cant be altered and i always worry that i might have a fabulous idea that i could of put in!

Over all its a great experience. People are generally friendly and there are plenty of clubs/society's to join. The worst part is being constantly skint, It can be hard to find a part time job with hours that complement your course.

Just my opinion, im sure everyone views college life very differently.

Advertisement