Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuddly toy for dog wanted!

• 30-12-2012 2:22pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I'm looking for a cuddly toy for one of my dogs, easy task you might think!
    But I need one that doesn't have a squeaker in it. It drives her beserk - really beserk:D. She likes to carry them around - shes a JRTx - and does eventually shred them. My son has a lot of them and she keeps stealing them, so I would like something different that she knows is just hers.

Only ones I can find have squeakers, any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

i know what you mean about the squeakers toys, i hate them nearly as much as my dogs!!
    have you tried any of the garden centre or pet stores, they do 'plush' toys for dogs, which are basically like cuddley toys but dont have squeakers in them:) aldi do have them on special from time to time but you will def always get them in a garden centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Okay, I'm looking for a cuddly toy for one of my dogs, easy task you might think!
    But I need one that doesn't have a squeaker in it. It drives her beserk - really beserk:D. She likes to carry them around - shes a JRTx - and does eventually shred them. My son has a lot of them and she keeps stealing them, so I would like something different that she knows is just hers.

Kong wubba perhaps, my boxer has one and he loves it, they are soft, don't squeak and are great for tug a war seeing as they are so durable.

Or you could just get her a cuddly toy from a charity shop and give to her and then start working on teaching her that she isn't allowed to take your sons toys. But in all honesty you will probably have to do this regardless of what toy spying get her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are you in Dublin OP? If so IKEA is the place to go! ;)... Either that or just burst the squeaker with a pin/needle?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks for all advice, I decided to give her one of our old toys - I thought it was fairly tough! Day 1 it was dismembered and she is now in the process of removing its stuffing! And she still prefers the pink puffle, not the white, brown or orange one but the pink one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wonder would a pogo plush be any use? They have a rubber frame inside so not full of stuffing?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Pogo-Plush-Ball-Large/dp/B005BOMQEI/ref=sr_1_2?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1357298135&sr=1-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

tk123 wrote: »
    I wonder would a pogo plush be any use? They have a rubber frame inside so not full of stuffing?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Pogo-Plush-Ball-Large/dp/B005BOMQEI/ref=sr_1_2?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1357298135&sr=1-2

The stuffings can choke the dog so mind that! Probably the prey instinct in your dog coming out - I wouldn't be giving it any more toys to shred!!! Re the squeaker they can choke on them too so even if you can't hear it , it can be dangerous for them.

The kong toys with the long streamer " tails" are quite difficult to destroy; might be well worth the investment!!! Mine lasted over a year which was v. Good going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How about you train the dog not to rip up toys? In the dogs head, you are giving her the toys to play with, so I doubt she'll see the difference between the one you gave her, and your sons fave toy.

Have you gotten the dog a kong?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

angeldaisy wrote: »

TK Maxx often have dog toys without stuffing, and with a very faint squeak. I can't think of the name of them, but my dog had a few and loved them, they usually come in the shape of animals, my fella had a badger, a fox and a bird! They wash really well too.

She has a kong but loves to carry cuddlies. Have to try to find something for her without a sqeak! Will check out tk max and the pet shops next week when the kids are back at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaisyD2

My DaisyDawgs favorite toy is a Mr.Bump cuddly toy I bought a couple of christmas's ago in Tesco. She'll scrag it (gets really vicious but drops it the minute you tell her), sleep on it, play fetch with it. I've bought her all sorts of toys but Mr.Men plush figures are her favorite.... Or maybe Tweety!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

And I thought my dog was the only nutter who was phobic about Squeaky toys! Really phobic, they send her all crazed and panicky, like with fireworks. It means I can't risk sending her to doggy day care, or bring her to very doggy-type places. Pet shops are out, too, as there's always someone testing them out!
    She goes everywhere with a tennis ball in her mouth (a real tennis ball, not one you get in a petshop) and she has a little soft Aldi cuddly cushion in each of her sleeping areas. She doesn't chew or play with those though, just uses them as pillows :)
    I'd recommend Kong products for durability, they have lots of different play things, but they may not be "cuddly" though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What sort of dog do you have? When my Holly (westie) was alive, her play toy was a heavy duty gardening glove :D By nature, Westies are ratters, so she'd "play" with the glove as if it were a rat :)

the_syco wrote: »
    What sort of dog do you have? When my Holly (westie) was alive, her play toy was a heavy duty gardening glove :D By nature, Westies are ratters, so she'd "play" with the glove as if it were a rat :)

She's a Jack Russell x (daschund -poss!) ! Very destructive, will shred a tennis ball in about 10 mins. I think she attacks the cuddlies as well, definately plays differently with them than with her kong, but they keep her from destroying other stuff - like tissue boxes, mail and anything food related left in reach!!

Advertisement