Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Fit or Die Tri-ing

Options
  • 30-12-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

So I've decided to start a log as a means of keeping track of my training and maybe getting the odd bit of feedback if any of you would be so kind. :)

My obsession with tri started about 6 months ago. I was spending the summer abroad and one evening was having a marathon youtube session. I was just going from one random video to the next. Eventually I came across the 2010 Ford Ironman World Championship video. I cried for around 60 percent of the video. Mainly because I'm overweight, I'm lazy and I'd tried to get in shape so many times and just gave up, yet here were the disabled, the morbidly obese, the elderly accomplishing such amazing feats of strength and endurance. Why couldn't I? So I started researching.

I watched all the Kona championships from about 2008 on-wards, I spent everyday for the rest of summer looking up information on running technique and swimming technique. Determined that when I got back to Ireland I'd get straight into training. But I got lazy. I still read the logs on this forum and often watched interviews on youtube but never really gave it a proper shot.

I've just started working in a gym [as a receptionist] so i really have absolutely no excuses anymore. I want it so badly, I don't need to be winning, I don't mind coming dead last. If I finish I'll be happy.

Currently I've no running, swimming or cycling background. I did swimming classes in primary school, I'm comfortable in the water but I've no technique [or whatever I have is wrong]. One of my best friends is a lifeguard and has said she'll give me a hand with that. As far as the bike, I have a mountain bike. Tbh, the bike is the thing that scares me the most. I'm very shaky on it. I've no confidence whatsoever. I hope to do most of my training on the gym bike with one days long aerobic cycle on the mountain bike until I can afford a road bike. With regards to the running, I've done a fair bit or research on technique so hopefully that'll be enough to keep me going for the next while.

My Goals:
    Complete a 5k between May and July
    Complete the Bray Aquathlon on the 17th July [My Birthday :D]
    Complete Tri795 in August.

Maybe I'll have time goals come July/August, maybe I won't. For now to just cross the finish line would be amazing.

Training starts tomorrow with week 1 Day 1 of the C25k in the morning and swimming drills in the evening.

Joe Friel's Trathlon for Beginners, as well as a Triathlon Ireland Membership, have been purchased. There's nothing left to do now but train.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey, welcome and best of luck with the log and your goals.

If you have a mountain bike, I'd recommend getting some miles down on that. It will be far more beneficial than the gym bike because it will increase your confidence with bike handling the more time you do on it. Simple starting goal could be to commute to work on your bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Hey, welcome and best of luck with the log and your goals.

If you have a mountain bike, I'd recommend getting some miles down on that. It will be far more beneficial than the gym bike because it will increase your confidence with bike handling the more time you do on it. Simple starting goal could be to commute to work on your bike :)

Thank you :)

Yeah, I think you're right. The only problem is that I only work two days a week. One of them I will be finishing at 11:00pm so I'd be a bit nervous cycling home so late, especially since it takes around 40 mins on the bus so I can only imagine how long it wold take me at my snails pace on the bike. But, I can definitely do it at least once a week which as you say would probably be more beneficial for me than the gym bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You're very clued in for someone who is a newbie, you seem to appreciate the work ahead and are preparing well for it. Tri795 Bunclody is a great race, suitable to all abilities. They organize the swim starts in waves of increasing ability, and this year some were wading in sections. Its a very good race if you're a beginner (it was my first tri)- plenty of mountain bikes out on the course too! The Bray aquathon series are excellent as well.

Intentions are great at this time of the year; whats often harder is getting into the routine of keeping the training going. If you have a plan, make sure you don't skip any sessions at this early stage. Don't worry about running technique, you'll naturally run the optimum way for yourself- you'll get more out of swim and bike technique practice (funny enough, shotgun, me and a few others were having this conversation last night!). Best of luck with your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Welcome to the logs cheesefiend. Best of luck with your goals for the year. How's the training going?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Excellent, great to see another newbie on the logs. Best of luck with the training and I will be keeping an eye on your progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Gool luck with the goals cheesefiend.. hope it goes well for you, and get out on that bike every opportunity you get, even if its just to cycle to the shops and back..confidence on the bike is very important!!

Hi guys,
    Thanks so much for the encouragement. :D

Got out for the c25k monday. It went really well. It was very slow. I don't think I'm anywhere near 3k at the moment, never mind 5k but I just keep telling myself I have loads of time.

Went for a swim in the afternoon, I couldn't believe how bad I was. Haven't gotten to the pool since I've started reading about technique but I realise I need a complete overhaul. What I did was 25m x 3 focusing on kick. Have read that it's important to move legs from the hip rater than the knee. Found this ok when isolated from arms but when i tried to pair them it went balls up. I know once I have the wet suit on the kick will be less important but I'd like my technique at a good level before I start focusing on tri specific training. Also did 3 x 25m focused on arms. Trying to get the elbow up. Found this so difficult. It's going to be really hard to get out of old, bad habbits. Did 2x50 m backstroke just trying to get up a bit of endurance. I think I'm going to have to make a better plan for the swim. Felt a bit disorganised.

Unfortunately woke up tuesday and felt terrible [didn't drink New Year's Eve so wasn't drink related], I had the flu. Have felt terrible all week, most of the family is down with it. Have spent the week in bed, but yesterday and today feeling a lot better. Up and about today, still feel a bit weak but not sick anymore.

Just wondering if it would be ok to go for a spin tomorrow? I was planning a long easy cycle for sunday before I got sick. Really am anxious to get going on the bike but don't know if it's just going to run me down. I do feel a lot better today, think I'm basically over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best to you on your goals. :) It's smart to isolate elements of your swim stoke at this point, so well done there.....and if you have a pull buoy available to you I'd recommend using that when isolating your arms. What I like about a pull buoy is that it provides you with good lower body position while you're working your arms - legs aren't dragging and you get to practice how it feels to have your hips properly high in the water. And you are also smart to not rely on a wetsuit for body position and kick - master everything about swimming now, then let the wetsuit be your bonus later. Keep up the good work and I hope you feel better! :)

Well, I've thoroughly neglected this log. Despite the lack of posts I;ve been doing quite well.
    So I'm onto week two of C25k, though I am extremely slow. I went to Dun Laoghaire pier the other day to do it and a guy lapped me three times. Anyways, I just keep telling myself that someday that will be me. I lie to myself a lot these days :p

The swimming is coming along ok. I think my stroke has really improved thanks to Dory Dory's great advice about the pull buoy. Still having trouble keeping everything coordinated when i get tired.Now don't get me wrong, I'm still not even doing 400m. I did lets say 10 lengths the other day. With breaks in between. The pull buoy makes a huge difference but at the same time I'm having serious trouble trying to sway my hips [as I've read you're supposed to] when i use it.

The bike is... going. I've done a few very short cycles [30 mins] and felt ok on them. Then I cycled to work. It took me 55 mins on the way there. I felt so good afterwards, really enjoyed it. Cycling home took me 1:30. I was so tired and good God my ass felt so bruised :eek:. I was also a bit of a wimp and near the end just got off and walked the hills. Again, I'm going easy on myself and saying it gives me a short term goal anyway. Btw, this isn't even a long ride, I think it's only about 10k. I'm a disaster at the moment.

Overall though, despite my terrible statistics I feel great. I feel just better about myself. I've been eating really healthy, loads of veggies, protein and healthy fats.

The plan for today is c25k followed by a swim. Also I might drop into a pilates class that's on in the gym because I've not been doing any strength training at all and this is probably not the best regime.

Tomorrow I'll attempt the cycle to work again. I'll try and eat a bit smarter this time aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I feel just better about myself.

This is the most important part of that post.

Keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

BTH wrote: »
    I feel just better about myself.

This is the most important part of that post.
    Keep it up.

+1

Take it slow on the progression and have fun getting there.
    best of luck with the journey.

BennyMul wrote: »
    +1

Take it slow on the progression and have fun getting there.
    best of luck with the journey.

+1

Dont worry about speed etc, the most important thing is how it makes you feel. Lovely to read your post cheesefiend :)

+1....and what they all said. You're doing great. Really. :D

Not sure about the swaying hips though......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Well, I've thoroughly neglected this log. Despite the lack of posts I;ve been doing quite well.
    So I'm onto week two of C25k, though I am extremely slow. I went to Dun Laoghaire pier the other day to do it and a guy lapped me three times. Anyways, I just keep telling myself that someday that will be me. I lie to myself a lot these days :p

The swimming is coming along ok. I think my stroke has really improved thanks to Dory Dory's great advice about the pull buoy. Still having trouble keeping everything coordinated when i get tired.Now don't get me wrong, I'm still not even doing 400m. I did lets say 10 lengths the other day. With breaks in between. The pull buoy makes a huge difference but at the same time I'm having serious trouble trying to sway my hips [as I've read you're supposed to] when i use it.

The bike is... going. I've done a few very short cycles [30 mins] and felt ok on them. Then I cycled to work. It took me 55 mins on the way there. I felt so good afterwards, really enjoyed it. Cycling home took me 1:30. I was so tired and good God my ass felt so bruised :eek:. I was also a bit of a wimp and near the end just got off and walked the hills. Again, I'm going easy on myself and saying it gives me a short term goal anyway. Btw, this isn't even a long ride, I think it's only about 10k. I'm a disaster at the moment.

Overall though, despite my terrible statistics I feel great. I feel just better about myself. I've been eating really healthy, loads of veggies, protein and healthy fats.

The plan for today is c25k followed by a swim. Also I might drop into a pilates class that's on in the gym because I've not been doing any strength training at all and this is probably not the best regime.

Tomorrow I'll attempt the cycle to work again. I'll try and eat a bit smarter this time aswell.

Good work so far, treat yourself to some bike shorts, the naff ones with the integrated nappy, your ass will thank you.

Ah, the support is great. Thanks a million, it's keeping me motivated. :D
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Not sure about the swaying hips though......:confused:

Probably not describing it right, but when you stretch your arm out for before it hits the water and your shoulders and hips rock? When I use the pull buoy it's really hard to get the whole body involved and not just the arms.
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Good work so far, treat yourself to some bike shorts, the naff ones with the integrated nappy, your ass will thank you.

Haha, didn't think I could look any worse when on the bike but I'm definitely going to invest in a pair . Thanks for the tip

Yesterday I chickened out of cycling to work. It was so cold and wet. I stayed late in work and did short 10k on the bike in the gym at around 67 rpm. Not the best form of training but better than nothing.

Went for a swim this morning. I enjoyed it immensely. I did around 375m with a good few breathers between lengths. Mostly used the pull buoy and focused on arms. I can feel the difference. Nowhere near perfect but small improvements. I did a few lengths on my back just kicking, trying to give the arms a rest but keep moving. Then when i put them together it wasn't a complete disaster as it has been previously.

Tomorrow morning will be doing c25k week 2 day 3.

My friend told me yesterday she could see the weight difference in my face already. Haven't weighed myself because it's really not about that and I volunteer with bodywhys so I know how easy it is to get obsessed with weight. Still I've noticed a slight change and feel a bit more confident so long may it continue. :)

Still not sure about that rocking hip thing, but you do roll your shoulders to stretch your arm forward to max your stroke at the beginning....then make sure your thumb hits your thigh upon exit of stoke to max it at the end. Once you've got the stroke down there is no need to have your thumb hit your thigh, but it's a good way/drill to get in the habit of good form.

And awesome about the upped confidence!! Keep up the good work!! :)

Went for c25k week 3 day 1 this morning... running on ice.. while it was snowing... Absolutely unheard of for me. It was lovely, slow but then the runs didn't seem too hard. Tbh, I've tried c25k three times before. Got to week 3 every time and then my motivation fizzled. So I'm not going to get too excited about my running progress until I crack week 4.

I also went for a swim this evening. I think I did around 500m in about 30 mins. So as you can tell I took a lot of breaks. My technique is still off but today was more about trying to get my endurance up since all my swims so far have been about my stroke. So it will be back to drills Wednesday.

Tomorrow will be a short bike ride and a pilates class, really looking forward to it actually.

This week I have been bold. I went for all my runs, two out of three planned swims and 1 our of two planned cycles, and it was a pathetic spin at that. And the diet went to ****. I've realised I have to take the bike more seriously and stop putting it off. It's going to be the biggest part of the tri and it's my weakest at the moment which is saying a lot. So I'm going to sit down tonight and make a better plan, one that I won't cop out of.

Finished week 3 for the first time yesterday. It felt great at the time, having a look at week 4 now... that will be interesting. Still I like the 'runs'.

The swim is coming along ok. Went to the pool yesterday and was stuck for time. Only did 380m but did it in much better time, with fewer breaks than normal so I think it was more beneficial. I did 2 x 20m warm up [holiday swim]. 2 x 20 using pull buoy. 2 x 20 sing float and right arm. Same for the left. Then 2 x 20 just legs. 2 x 20 normal. 5 x 20 alternating arms, 2 x 20 cool down [holiday swim]. Not a lot going on there but it's coming together. I'll get there eventually.

I didn't go off the rails completely this week but it still wasn't great. I have to be a bit stricter with myself... and avoid after eights like the plague.

Went for spin yesterday, did 10k. I enjoyed the first five, the last five were hell. Going up hill, on a mountain bike against the wind. I got sick in my mouth a little haha. I'm both horrified and proud of that fact. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt the same route again so hopefully the wind won't be as bad.

This morning I did week 4 day 1 today! So glad. First time I did it and I thought I'd have to take a break but I just slowed right down and kept going. Feels good.

This evening I went for a swim, forgot my pull buoy and then the people in the lanes were going real fast and i din't want to be slowing them down so went outside the lanes. thing was there was loads of kids playing so i rarely got to do 25m straight, mostly went half way, turned and went back. It was good because I could focus on my technique a bit more since I was less tired but still not great training. Must try and get in earlier so it's not so packed.

Tueday: Was supposed to go for a spin on the mountain bike, but my friend dragged me to the gym instead. Did hill intervals at between 67 and 75 cadence for 10 k. Nothing for most of you but when I got up I was drowned in sweat.

Wednesay: Was suppossed to go for a swim but was in college from 10 until 3. Work from 4 to 11. Managed c25k w4 d2 in the morning before college though. Was going at a snails pace by the end, but was still 'jogging'.

Thurdsday: cycled to work. The improvement from the last time made me feel great. On the way improved my time by 5 mins... on the way back improved my time by 20 mins :]. Last time I had to get off and push up the hills, this time I took no breaks. Feels good.

Today: have completed week 4 c25k. Decided to take a detour on my way and got lost so got an extra 20 minute walk in too.

Have only had one swim this week which is really bad. So will have to make it a priority next week.

Feeling fresh as a daisy at the moment. Still am not fit but am much better than I've been in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

This is one of the better threads I have seen on boards.

I am training for cycling events this year but I might just do what OP is doing and go for TRIs

Good luck OP, all I have experience in is running on the road and cycling on the road, It takes a while to get your confidence on the bike but the day you get one it and think, I got this, is the first day of your training, as for running, Its all about enjoying it and never over doing it!

You will not, and i repeat WILL NOT stick a something you do not enjoy so make it fun for yourself, reward yourself at certain achievements and just watch yourself improve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

oh and +1 on the bike shorts, there is nothing worse than a sore arse after breaking ground on a bike!

ghogie91 wrote: »
    This is one of the better threads I have seen on boards.

I am training for cycling events this year but I might just do what OP is doing and go for TRIs

Good luck OP, all I have experience in is running on the road and cycling on the road, It takes a while to get your confidence on the bike but the day you get one it and think, I got this, is the first day of your training, as for running, Its all about enjoying it and never over doing it!

You will not, and i repeat WILL NOT stick a something you do not enjoy so make it fun for yourself, reward yourself at certain achievements and just watch yourself improve :D

Thank you so much, ghogie91 :)

Well I've got the bit in bold down to a tee, rewards in the form of peanut butter - excessive, inhuman amounts of peanut butter straight from the jar.

You should. I know I haven't even really begun, but the thought of doing a triathlon (even a sprint) just has me thinking 'WOW'.

Best of luck to you with the cycling and hopefully the tris. :)

Oh, and the cycle shorts are on the way from amazon. My arse can't take another ride without them, especially with the potholes around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

- excessive, inhuman amounts of peanut butter straight from the jar.

Yum.... :D

Monday: C25k week 5 day 1- didn't go too well. Half way through the second five minute run my ankle started to really hurt. When i started to walk again it was worse. Didn't really know what was going on so when I started the third run I just stopped after a minute because I was afraid I was going to make it worse. Then I walked home and by the time I got home it was fine so I was mad I didn't just push through.

The swim went well. Did around 600m in 25m pool with tops 5 breaths between lengths.

Tuesday: Had a huge assignment due, stayed up late, got up early and was just wrecked so i took the day off.

Wednesday: C25k week 5 day 2 - this week is the first week that the runs are different. D1 was three 5 min runs with 3 min walks in-between. Day two is two 8 min walks with 5 mins in-between. Thought I would have to day 1 again since i didn't finish it but felt good while I was running so just went with day 2.

Did 740m today. In a 20m pool with 1 breath between lengths. I think now that I've built up a bit of a base I should start focusing more on 1. endurance [stop taking breaths between lengths] and 2. drills because I'm going very slow.

Thursday: Will be cycling to work 20k total.

Cycle was fine yesterday. Somehow got lost on my way home, had to stop and ring my friend to google map where I was. So that derailed me a bit.

Today went terribly. I normally like to go on c25k alone. I can just focus on me and forget about what everyone else is doing. Today my friend who doesn't run at all said she'd like to come with me. that was fine, 'ok, but I'll be jogging for twenty minutes straight, is it ok if I just keep going if you want to walk at some point', I said. 'Yeah, I'll never be able to jog for that long, that's fine'. So myself, herself and another friend who doesn't run head off. I say I'm doing a 5 min warm up walk, they start jogging straight away. I tell them go on, I'll catch up with you. Well Jaysus, do I feel like a fecking eejit.

They go off, I start jogging after five mins, see them sprinting in the distance they slow down to a walk. Still not catching up with them; they stop and wait. I finally reach them and tell them not to be waiting on me to just go on. So they start jogging again. They're so beyond me. They stop and wait. this process continues until they just stop waiting and keep running on. At one point one of them is walking along beside me while i'm jogging.

This would normally be fine, but it's hard to see people who haven't gone for a jog in months thoroughly out-running me after 5 weeks of running 3 times a week. When I come on and read people;s logs on here sometimes I have a chuckle to myself because what I do seems like a walk to the fridge compared to what everyone else does. But I think to myself it's ok you're doing better than the people on the couch; well apparently not.

In the end couldn't even finish the fecking jog. So I'm going to have to repeat the day monday.

First time I've not enjoyed training at all.

I think my problem is that I'm still fat and need to control my eating. No point doing all this training if I'm still too heavy.

Also went for a swim and did drills.

2 x WU
    4 x Ripple [think that's what it's called, youtubed it earlier after reading Orynx's log]
    6 x catch up
    2 x pull buoy
    4 x ripple
    4 x catch up
    2 x CD

700m

TLDR: Too fat; slower than I thought. Have to HTFU and try harder.

Don't beat yourself up - you're trying, and that's what matters. As far as the diet goes, reassess what you eat and make adjustments. You don't have to go all radical with your diet, but start substituting good things for bad things - snack on fresh fruit and veggies (I like fruit and veggies with some crunch to them)...drink more fresh juice....don't skip meals thinking you're eliminating calories (because after you've shoveled empty calories in your mouth because you are starving you'll be in the hole). Pretty much common sense that you already know. Chin up...and keep moving forward, but don't rush it. :)

Thanks Dory :)

Today's my rest day so I'll be back on the saddle tomorrow, hopefully with renewed vigour.

I know it's very hard not to compare yourself to others (especially when you are running alongside them) but try your best not to. I often feel crappy when I look at everyone around me at the tri club. I'm fatter, slower and weaker then most of them but then I look at how much I'm improving all the time and I realise that's what's important. Let them do what they are doing, and you keep on with your journey. You are doing great :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement