Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the hobbit at kilkenny cineplex

Options
  • 30-12-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Anybody know if they're showing the hobbit in 48 frames per sec in the cineplex? Can't seem to find a no for them or get any info off the website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Its a sh!t film, dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Expectations are low but as a Tolkien fan I still wanna go. Also wanna see what 48 fps looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ITs not 48P in kilkenny thats for sure

You will have to go to dungarvin or dublin to see it in 48P very few places are showing it in 48P basically only the newest screens are showing it in 48P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have heard three separate people complain about the quality of this movie as shown in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

If you want to add four to that list, here I am!

I went to The Hobbit last night and was beyond annoyed that they kept half the lights on for the first few minutes of the film. One very basic thing this cinema NEVER does for EVERY film is have one staff member check the screening room once a screening commences. A job which would likely take all of 30 seconds.

If they did this, they could perhaps prevent a lot of the annoying things that happen at their screenings over the years, like:

- The lights being on!
    - The curtains still going across half the screen
    - The picture not being in focus
    - The picture being obscured
    - People talking REALLY loudly.
    - The sound being distorted.

The above are examples of things that have happened in the Kilkenny cinema in the past few years at screenings I've been at. Is it that hard to send one staff member in to have a quick check? No wonder people are crying out for a new cinema. Personally, I don't think we need one but we definitely need a better standard of service.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure, knowing from experience, that it wouldn't be a good place to see it but I've only been there once since they "done it up". usually go to Waterford or Carlow. Couldn't agree more about how poor the cinema experience is in Kilkenny @ 9.60 a pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Poor it is, screen 4 is tiny, they seem to only have one digital screen so, because the hobbit was in 3D I had to see Life of Pi in analog in a tiny screen in 2D. Not happy, what with it being the same price

And they then object to the planning permission for a new cinema at the junction. Course they do. A decent cinema would put them out of business quick smart!!!!!

A decent cinema would put them out of business

Or at the very least it would force them to spend money upgrading their own cinema. Which they won't do, until they have to. I don't blame them - If I had that kind of a monopoly, I wouldn't either.

I don't know what it is about cinemas in Kilkenny. Back the the day I used to go to Carlow with my parents where there was a modern (at the time) multi screen cinema - the one in Kilkenny was a complete kip. And here we are again almost twenty years later - same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TooMuchTea

Kilkenny Omniplex is upgrading all screens in the next few weeks, All screens will receive sound upgrades and digital projection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Will it receive a staff upgrade to make sure that the screening rooms are working like they are supposed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

Threadhead wrote: »
    Will it receive a staff upgrade to make sure that the screening rooms are working like they are supposed to?

No, in fact they will be getting rid of staff as the projection will be run by the manager from his office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Omphin wrote: »
    No, in fact they will be getting rid of staff as the projection will be run by the manager from his office.

Main projectionist who has been there for years and years is taking redundancy and 2nd projectionist is getting same hours front of house, so hopefully that's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Main projectionist who has been there for years and years is taking redundancy and 2nd projectionist is getting same hours front of house, so hopefully that's good news.

Actually you are wrong i know someone working there and they told me that main projectionist has been offered a supervisor position in santry cineplex and is taking it. Second projectionist will be remaining at kk though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Omphin wrote: »

Actually you are wrong i know someone working there and they told me that main projectionist has been offered a supervisor position in santry cineplex and is taking it. Second projectionist will be remaining at kk though

So whoever is correct, hopefully one of us is, then it's good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

If projectionists are still in situ at the Omniplex, I wonder how Skyfall was way off kilter on screen when I took the kids to see it - about a foot and a half on the left hand side of the screen was a constant blur of random squiggles. It's not the first time I've experienced that there either. I'm not overly enamoured by the idea of automated digital projection, but it may deliver a better end user experience, as someone's clearly asleep on the job in KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

The curtains thing has been going in for years...
    Did this not get done up just a few years ago?

Suits impeccably tailored to suit you, from Baumler, Dax and Magee.

YES.

Frank Wall suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Sky King wrote: »
    Suits impeccably tailored to suit you, from Baumler, Dax and Magee.

YES.

Frank Wall suits you best.

Actually they don't have that ad running any more (at the moment any way) :p. But yeah that was an ad I always associated with the Kilkenny cinema as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Well don't know about anyone else but the centre gangway is a nightmare for older people, nothing to hold on to, sit at the front, oh yes

• Advertisement
Advertisement