Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Killarney49

Disappointed Hennessy is not starting, hoping he can make the team this year as he has a physical presence as well. Good to see some of the younger lads getting a chance like Dwyer and Johnny Ryan getting a go. Right idea in the forwards, some new players badly needed in that sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

UCC are though to the Sigerson Cup Final in Athlone, with Peter Acheson and Conor Sweeney both among the scores in the semi final. Hopefully, they will be bringing Sigerson Cup medals back to Moyle Rovers and Ballyporeen tomorrow. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

looder wrote: »
    Tipperary Senior Hurling Team to play Cork this Saturday night in the opening round of Allianz National Hurling League in Pairc Ui Rinn @ 7pm:
    Brendan Cummins,

Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Conor O'Brien,

Donagh Maher, Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher,

Shane McGrath (Captain), Johnny 'Springer' Ryan,

Seamie Callanan, Noel McGrath, Bonner Maher,

Shane Bourke, Buggy O'Meara, Bubbles O'Dwyer

Decent enough looking side.

The most interesting thing is seeing how the HB line gets on as lined out, especially as they're not exactly blessed with great pace (though Brendan Maher has a bit of go in him) and its likely that Cork to run at them.

Donagh Maher is handy but as yet not nailed as a starter, had a great start to the league last year I thought but never progressed after that.

CB position means a lot more responsibility and discipline has to be applied by Paudie Maher, those runs up the field to the HF line will have curtailed a bit and less aimless hitting over the shoulder as well.

Brendan Maher has to get off to a good start or the confidence might not come back for another year. And I wouldn't be convinced by him at wing back yet either, always felt he when he played in midfield was more adept at getting in support of the attackers rather than covering the backs (which I always felt was more Shane McGrath's job).

Big year for Tipp to finally live up to their 2010 hype. Losing to Cork with Kilkenny on the horizon would put serious pressure on them, especially if Kilkenny lose to Galway and have to come to Thurles needing a result which would mean they'll be coming all guns blazing.
    Time for the llikes of the McGraths, Callinane and Brendan Maher and the Bourkes to step out of the shadow of 2010 leaders and greats like Lar, Kelly, O'Mahony, Cummins and Fanning and deliver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 2129ed

A new era perhaps. I agree that Callinan and McGrath and co need to provide a bit of leadership. Sadly for all his silky touches, Callinan has failed to produce in any of the big games.
    He is best used as an impact sub, like a lot of his team mates!!

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

UCC are though to the Sigerson Cup Final in Athlone, with Peter Acheson and Conor Sweeney both among the scores in the semi final. Hopefully, they will be bringing Sigerson Cup medals back to Moyle Rovers and Ballyporeen tomorrow. Best of luck to them.

Billy Hewitt of Ardfinnan is also on the panel , best of luck to the lads tomorrow .

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »
    Decent enough looking side.

The most interesting thing is seeing how the HB line gets on as lined out, especially as they're not exactly blessed with great pace (though Brendan Maher has a bit of go in him) and its likely that Cork to run at them.

Donagh Maher is handy but as yet not nailed as a starter, had a great start to the league last year I thought but never progressed after that.

CB position means a lot more responsibility and discipline has to be applied by Paudie Maher, those runs up the field to the HF line will have curtailed a bit and less aimless hitting over the shoulder as well.

Brendan Maher has to get off to a good start or the confidence might not come back for another year. And I wouldn't be convinced by him at wing back yet either, always felt he when he played in midfield was more adept at getting in support of the attackers rather than covering the backs (which I always felt was more Shane McGrath's job).

Big year for Tipp to finally live up to their 2010 hype. Losing to Cork with Kilkenny on the horizon would put serious pressure on them, especially if Kilkenny lose to Galway and have to come to Thurles needing a result which would mean they'll be coming all guns blazing.
    Time for the llikes of the McGraths, Callinane and Brendan Maher and the Bourkes to step out of the shadow of 2010 leaders and greats like Lar, Kelly, O'Mahony, Cummins and Fanning and deliver.

I agree with your comment about half backs going for their own point and aimless shooting under pressure. Ive pulled my hair out at it many a time. It wasnt to be seen in 2010 and back then every ball had a purpose.

I dont agree with the notion though that Tipp or whoever else are 'overhyped' just by virtue of the fact we lost twice to Kilkenny in 11 and the hammering in 12. The 2010 Tipp win was result of 3 solid years of pure graft and overcame a huge mental barrier and we also produced some of the most stylish hurling seen in the modern era. Yes overhyped maybe in terms of not being fully ready to dethrone Kilkenny on a consistent basis but Tipp are more then equipped to go out and win an All Ireland in the near future.

The fact we have got to 3 all Ireland finals and a semi the last 4 years is a long journey from losing to Wexford in 2007 and it shows we have been consistent. My real gripe is with the fact this team is littered with talent but cant take that next step. They maybe lack the leadership that Cork had back from 04-05 on top of Kilkennys experience and guile in all levels of the hierarchy
    I think the 2011 final maybe affected Tipp greatly in terms of confidence and belief and with due respect to both Declan and Tommy, they lacked that leadership and experience to get them through the slump. Now we have ingredients there but it wont just happen by fate, we have to work hard but if any man knows this its the winner O'Shea who seems to be tuned into a frequency beyond many of us mere mortals

There is a huge performance in Tipp and hopefully the bigger the occasion the bigger the scalp. I believe there is no need to drop any of the big names and that there is plenty in the tank. What so called supporters need to do is get behind this team and stop making simple scape goats. The game of hurling is alot more complex then to be lambasting the talent within the game

I dont agree with the notion though that Tipp or whoever else are 'overhyped' just by virtue of the fact we lost twice to Kilkenny in 11 and the hammering in 12.

I didn't say Tipp were overhyped, I said they didn't live up to the hype they created for themselves after 2010. I think outside of Tipp people realised that this was a very good Tipp side capable of winning AI. To some in Tipp however, especially after the U21's waltzed the AI, 2010 was the start of their 5 in a row and the second coming of Jesus and the Apostles.

Ipso Facto, they didn't live up to their own hype.
    The 2010 Tipp win was result of 3 solid years of pure graft and overcame a huge mental barrier and we also produced some of the most stylish hurling seen in the modern era.

Can't argue with that. And therein in is the failing of Tipp in the last two years. The graft, and the right attitude for the hard graft, just wasn't there.
    Yes overhyped maybe in terms of not being fully ready to dethrone Kilkenny on a consistent basis but Tipp are more then equipped to go out and win an All Ireland in the near future.

Again, no arguments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

looder wrote: »
    Tipperary Senior Hurling Team to play Cork this Saturday night in the opening round of Allianz National Hurling League in Pairc Ui Rinn @ 7pm:
    Brendan Cummins,

Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Conor O'Brien,

Donagh Maher, Paudie Maher, Brendan Maher,

Shane McGrath (Captain), Johnny 'Springer' Ryan,

Seamie Callanan, Noel McGrath, Bonner Maher,

Shane Bourke, Buggy O'Meara, Bubbles O'Dwyer

Bit disappointed that Cummins isn't resting for the league. Gleeson should really be allowed to get some experience, I mean, Cummins can't go on forever.
    Good to see Paudie Maher at c/b - let's hope he can settle there, forget about those flamboyant surges upfield and do the bread and butter stuff. He has been criticised for his over the shoulder clearances, but I think these usually happen when he is under extreme pressure. And since 2010 he has been targetted when in possession with two to three players closing him down to stop him finding forwards with placed balls from defence. He has also tended to lose the rag a bit with refs - although this is deemed a strong point in Henry Sheflin and a sign of immaturity and petulance in Paudie.
    The forwards interest me most. None of the old brigade of O'Brien, Kelly or Corbett are there to lead the line. So, it's up to McGrath, Callinan and 'Bonner' as the most experienced forwards to show leadership and fighting qualities. 'Bonner' won't be found wanting in that regard - but the other two? I wait and hope. I also think that Bubbles has the hurling brain and the temperament to nail down a place for himself - not sure if corner-forward will suit him though.
    Anyway, at last we've got some hurling to occupy the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

Anyone know of any decent sites to watch tonights match on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Jesus, what's going on below in Cork?

• Advertisement

YOU SOUND SURPRISED?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Jesus the lads are stuck to the ground....

What a joke. There is no low this current Tipp team cant sink too.
    Seamie Cal and Noel McGrath typify all thats wrong with this squad. Cowardly, showmen, who hide when the going gets tough. Pairic Meagher the only one fit to wear the shirt. Maybe the TIPP GUNNER AND PREMIER STONE will remove their rose tinted specs. You dont know as much about hurling as you thought, my romantic friends!!
    Win the league? This shower will be lucky if they dont get relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Haha, that's ridiculous post tbh.

I'm not even going to get started.
    It's the first game of the league ffs.

7 months away from September, poor start but your comments are over the top.
    We have a new manager, that's his first competitive game, but your writing him off already, nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Sorry 2129ed I disagree with some of your post, you can see there stuck to the ground doing a lot of heavy training at the mo, but have to agree with you about the boys swanning around the field a good kick up the foking hole they need, at least forde and bubbles showing some good point taking....

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Haha, that's ridiculous post tbh.

I'm not even going to get started.
    It's the first game of the league ffs.

7 months away from September, poor start but your comments are over the top.
    We have a new manager, that's his first competitive game, but your writing him off already, nonsense.

in all fairness last week we had to listen to its only the waterford cyrstal cup now its its only the first game of the league were in trouble no 2 ways about it simple as.anyone who has watched tipp since the start of the year knew this result would happen tonight i felt like crying in the stand.o sheas mantra of work rate and intensity was worked to perfection by the cork team pity we didnt.honestly dont know where were going to go from here and people saying its only this or its only that need to wake up

Tipp's poor attitude to the league in 2011 and 2012 eventually caught up with them later in the year, the swanning around they did in March/April led to a drop in standard in terms of attitude that ultimately left them coming up short.

Compare that attitude to the attitude in the league under Sheedy.
    Won in 08. and was the important first trophy of their most successful period for a generation.
    Lost in 09 in the best league final in living memory with a performance that convinced them they could put it up to Kilkenny.
    didn't win 2010, but blooded a few young lads, and were determined to put a marker down to Kilkenny and did so by beating them.

Don't buy into this argument either they're training heavily, they were well capable of running around tonight. They can't deny either that a lot of these players have been playing matches too, either with Tipp, the clubs or with the colleges, so they were somewhat up to speed in terms of touch.

Tonight's result was down to one thing only; attitude. A lot of the Tipp players just didn't bother, or looked like they wanted to bother, especially up front. McGrath (only heard his name mentioned when he took the frees), Bourke, Callinane didn't simply care enough, even when the scoreboard was beginning to border on humiliating. And it wasn't until Eoin Kelly came on and started to put in tackles, put himself about, close down the Cork backs and started winning some ball that Tipp came to life, they were completely rudderless up front without his presence. Only for him coming on and upping the workrate and attitude, Tipp would have been completely humiliated tonight.

And for all the things that have been said about him in the last two years, at least Corbett showed some pride in his jersey tonight when the game was over and went down fighting, unlike some of his more venerated colleagues who increasingly seem to be living off of 2010.

Thought too the backs were over-run in terms of pace, Corks pace exposed them badly. They weren't helped though by ball after ball raining down their direction due to the lack of effort at the other end, and gave their all. Brendan Maher was the best of them.

The best thing that Tipp can take out of tonight is that they its only early yet so there's plenty of time to right the wrongs and give the year a real shot.

But they badly need a change in their attitude or they'll win nothing.

PS. Any word on Shane McGrath? He looked very sore and upset coming off, it looked serious enough. Best of luck to him, hope its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Shocking display,don't care what the excuses are.

tippspur wrote: »
    Shocking display,don't care what the excuses are.

Listened to this on Tipfm. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was afraid that those Cork forwards would be a handful for the Tipp backs - but a rout? I never expected that - remotely. Especially since E.O'Shea had said that he would be concentrating on doing well in the League. I was wondering who would lead the forwards, hoped that N. McGrath or Callinan would finally step up. Disappointed there, big time. Bubbles seemed to do ok. I mean down 17 pts to 3 at one stage? Jesus!
    It wasn't until Kelly, Lar and Adrian Ryan came on that Tipp made some shot at redeeming themselves. I know, it's only February, but Kilkenny are up next and there are only five games in the league - if this is how they are against Cork, how will they do against KK and Galway?
    There are no excuses. Probably Cork are much further on in terms of preparation - Tipp are only training one night a week. Maybe this will act as a severe reality check and drive them on to greater things, something in the way that the May 2010 stuffing by the same opposition did? Am I clutching at straws?
    Is the one AI a decade the grim reality that's facing us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Being the eternal optimist, I can pick two very good things from tonight.

1. Lar scored for Tipp for the first time since the 2011 AI Semi and showed some glimpses of his former self.
    2. Eoin Kelly's turn of pace for the goal. Hopefully his injuries are gone and he kicks on in 2013. Tipp need a fully fit Eoin Kelly!

Some very disappointing performances especially from Callinan who I'm expecting big things from this year. Hopefully Johnny Ryan gets another chance or two later in the league. I'm not convinced about Paudie centre back either. Our defence looked very open with him there again tonight. He's much better suited to the wing or full back.

Without trying to make excuses, the Sars boys are only back training with Tipp a week or so and I'd expect a lot better the next day. Cork seem to have a lot more training done than us at the moment.

@2129ed Jesus, it's only February, go easy on the over-reacting. Tipp won't be relegated, not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

With Kilkenny next we could be facing another heavy defeat. Two heavy defeats in a row could be seriously demoralising for the lads!

It looks bleak I hope I'm wrong and I hope we come together come may.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Still trying to get over that loss (I was at it and suffered some severe frostbite :)). I get that it's the League but paying €13 in and seeing an unmotivated group not really try like they can, bothered me. That said, Cork were absolutely fantastic (nearly worth admission alone). They hurled like superstars and took some lunatic scores. Even in injury time they stringed together some lovely passes for a point. That game was a serious statement by Barry-Murphy to put the dissent rumours to bed.

Some good points (from the perspective of the view of seats), Brendan Maher played well. He is really natural on the ball and cleared a lot of it out. I thought Conor O' Brien looked good in patches. Lar Corbett was one of our best players and John O' Dwyer worked hard and took some nice points.

I hope Shane McGrath wasn't hurt too bad. Was Bonner injured? He was withdrawn at half-time. Or it was to preserve him in a losing effort?

However going 30 minutes without a score was insane. You can't do that in any game and expect to win. Hopefully we can improve over the next few weeks.

That Pairc Ui Rinn is a lovely ground also.

Im pretty mixed on last nights game so im going to try and give both sides of the the argument.

On the plus side
    • It is only the league and yes we probably are feeling the effects of heavy training.
    • We are definately not that bad and i still believe our rock bottom was last years semi final. The only way is up from there and our championship form this year will probably testify whether im right or wrong
    • Lar and Eoin still have a bit to offer
    • Bubbles and Forde showed promise and Shane Bourke worked his arse off
    • I dont care if we dont win the league tbh just so long as we are some way competitive.
    • We got a similar mauling in Nowlan back in 2009 but barely left the all ireland behind that year.
    • Look at Galway in the league v Kilkenny last year and compare it to their championship performances against them.
    The flip side is though
    • Bad habits are still in our game that were there last year and may remain. Not marking up and not making themselves available to receive passes.
    • Callanan and Johnny Ryan hauled off after 20 mins?? Was it because O'Shea was absolutely fuming with their performance?
    • We expect at least to be some way competitive in games if we are not winning
    • Cork didnt really have to crank it up. While they took some lovely scores.....apart from the 21 at the end did they have any decent goal chances?
    • As Eamon Cregan correctly said during the week, when you see teams getting 25 points + in games, someone isnt doing their job and there was as much of that as nice point taking on display. In fact points always look nicely taken when completely unchallenged

So tbh i dont care if we dont win the league but i think we need to be someway competitive ahead of the championship. Losing is one thing but getting beat out the gate is another. Win a few games and avoid the relegation play off ill be happy. The only concern id have after that is the impact a mediocre to poor league may have on the belief of the team going forward

Like Tipp Gunner I'm not bothered about winning the league. The important thing is to be still hurling come September. E.O'Shea did say he'd be aiming to do well in the league. Thinking about it this probably means they will not gear their training schedule on the league as it would appear Cork have done, judging by their performance last night. What concerns me is the continuing need to turn to the old warriors Kelly and Corbett to try and rescue things. These men have been outstanding in their commitment to Tipp's cause for so many years now - they cannot go on forever.
    E.O'Shea said after the Crystal Cup defeat to Clare that it was just a training game for them and it emerged that they'd trained for two hours that afternoon before the game. Saturday is their training day - did they train on Saturday afternoon before the Cork game? The players certainly were rooted to the ground and lacked any kind of touch for such a generally skilful bunch of players.
    So, hopefully, this was a once off. Only trouble is the next two games will see them take on Kilkenny and Galway. Lose those two and we'll be struggling big time to avoid relegation.

The reason why I'm a bit thick about the game is that O' Shea said openly that he wants to win it or do very well in it. But then there's a performance like that. I'm holding off being too critical of the team for now, I'll judge it over the five game span. Unless there's an improvement over the next two games, O' Shea will look a bit foolish.

The reason why I'm a bit thick about the game is that O' Shea said openly that he wants to win it or do very well in it. But then there's a performance like that. I'm holding off being too critical of the team for now, I'll judge it over the five game span. Unless there's an improvement over the next two games, O' Shea will look a bit foolish.

I think the team performances are being judged against what O'Shea stated although I suppose those comments were made before a new physical trainer was hired so perhaps the plan has changed to suit the training regime that Fergal O'Callaghan has designed for them.

While its not nice to travel 1 and a half hours away and see your team ship a hiding on top of them only managing 2 points in the first half, i really think it is a result of us been jaded and we are not actually that bad. We can turn the corner. Galway dont forget were in a relegation final last year and very nearly took the plunge. This year they could be arguably favourites for the All Ireland after coming very very close last year

Im delighted Lar Corbett rammed the words down the throats of his doubters in the media like Loughnane and Babs last night. He still has an awful lot to offer this Tipp panel.
    Sure Let Lar just hurl and the let bullsh*tters just talk more bullsh*it.

The dual commitments caught up with Templemore today. Nevertheless they are still in with a chance. Just hope they can keep the chin up and keep believing. Hard luck lads!

Corbett got a bit of abuse - or you could call it banter, but it was consistent. He got mocking jeers from the crowd when he came on and each time he missed the crowd booed/jeered but when he scored Cork lads went a bit quiet and myself and a friend clapped loudly. His scores were great and missed one that was just left of the post. I think he was one of our best players. Again I'm trying to distinguish if it was banter or hostility.

• Advertisement

2129ed wrote: »
    What a joke. There is no low this current Tipp team cant sink too.
    Seamie Cal and Noel McGrath typify all thats wrong with this squad. Cowardly, showmen, who hide when the going gets tough. Pairic Meagher the only one fit to wear the shirt. Maybe the TIPP GUNNER AND PREMIER STONE will remove their rose tinted specs. You dont know as much about hurling as you thought, my romantic friends!!
    Win the league? This shower will be lucky if they dont get relegated.

I am just trying to look at things logically as I can and ive not been afraid to criticise the team in the past in fairness. Sometimes i can be OTT too in fact also but your hammering of individuals of the panel on the internet needs to tone down alot. Very easy to come on an internet forum and call such and such a lazy so and so. Remember while all of us are at the fire night our panel are out in the lashing rain or pushing their bodies to the limit.Also you have contradicted some of your own points too. One minute your slating Padraic Maher and next he should be captain?? :confused:
    Try think before you post in future. Frustration is one thing but irrational ranting helps no one.

Im not going to get involved in any more point scoring. For me this thread is about the team and the team only. Ill debate with people no problem but i certainly wont resort to having a punch and judy with my own fellow county men and women. im as frustrated as you are about the team at the moment but ill be up in Semple for the next game vs Kilkenny.

Advertisement