Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

Looking at the highlights now on League Sunday and O'Shea's interview....TBH id say he isnt one bit pushed about that defeat and it seemed so unbelievably easy that you'd have to wonder how seriously we are taking it? Last year, Cork hammered us in the league semi final but in the Munster semi in Cork there was only one team standing at the final whistle.

Kilkenny beat Galway by 25 points and Galway hammered them in the Leinster final. Galway were very unlucky to leave the All Ireland behind but could go one step further this year.

The team has suffered 2 championship defeats since 2010 and it was to the same team. Granted it was to the team we thought we could dethrone but a bit of perspective here i think we'll be ok when he really have to perform.

I dont believe this theory going around that the 18 point hiding could or should affect them mentally. Its in the past and they must look ahead and put 2012 behind them.

Ill be bold and predict some form of positive response against Kilkenny the next day out. Whether we wior not will be irrelelvant but i think we'll be up for it somehow :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Galway are looking very strong this year, even better than last year, I can see Kilkenny and Galway making it three defeats in a row for us, which could leave us in serious trouble this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Galway are looking very strong this year, even better than last year, I can see Kilkenny and Galway making it three defeats in a row for us, which could leave us in serious trouble this year.

Wouldn't panic just yet. Remember last year, how Cork destroyed Kilkenny in the Park, after they'd trimmed Tipp in the opening league game? And what happened in the league final in Semple?
    Remember Galway destroying KK in the league final in 2011 - what did KK do afterwards - they won the AI at our expense.

Cork were hurling with championship intensity, Tipp are a long way off that kind of pace. Only thing is, they'll have to up the performance against KK in two week time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Wouldn't panic just yet. Remember last year, how Cork destroyed Kilkenny in the Park, after they'd trimmed Tipp in the opening league game? And what happened in the league final in Semple?
    Remember Galway destroying KK in the league final in 2011 - what did KK do afterwards - they won the AI at our expense.

Cork were hurling with championship intensity, Tipp are a long way off that kind of pace. Only thing is, they'll have to up the performance against KK in two week time.

Your hurling memory needs a bit of a rejig.

First off, Cork beat Kilkenny by two points and the game could have gone either way in the last 10 minutes. This with Kilkenny not playing something like 6 regulars on a pitch that was torn up by a challenge match beforehand. Hardly what you could call destroying them.

Secondly, it was Dublin beat Kilkenny in the league final in 2011, not Galway.

You're right though, ultimately one result in the league doesn't set the rest of the year in stone.
    But as Tipp have shown in the last two years, poor application, little issues and lax attitude in the league can manifest itself later in the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 2129ed

You have to slate somebody when they dont perform. Thats a fact of sporting life. you have to praise when you see them go well. Get over the criticism of Paudie Maher against Kilcormac. Read all the top journalists, everyone said he was poor, so did I. I also said he had an attitude problem, lack of humility.Quote "Swanning around Thurles".{ Personnel opinion} not a certain fact.
    Park that. I also said he has never let Tipp down, Quote, "He always does his Stuff."
    Get over the putting bodies on the line. They love to hurl and enjoy the battle. its an honour to represent your county, they are lucky boys. Young kids would die to follow in their footsteps. As I said earlier, it aint the fecking army. Did you ever play sports, you dont sound like an Athlete to me.
    Pain and toil are part of the package. Playing in the cold is something thousands of sports people do every week in Ireland. Most of them never see a Tv camera or have even an ounce of fame.
    If you pull on a shirt at the top level, you must expect the rough and the smooth. We all want Tipp to do well. Its no good patting them on the back and saying bad night at the office. This team has lost its last two competitive matches by a cricket score.
    People who hopped on the bandwagon of slating Tommy Dunne and Declan Ryan are now seeing a different situation on the horizon. Its the players who are not putting it in. There is no magic wand with the new management.
    It took Liam Sheedy three years to get the group the way it needed to be. I might also point out that if Galway had took their chances, we wouldent have won in 2010.
    By the way i was in Cork unlike you, I wasent watching setanta sports.
    Cork worked three times as hard as our lads. Eamonn O'Shea looked shocked afterwards.
    He has a job of work on here I can tell you. I will be in Thurles too, I wouldent be that optimistic as unlike you the Rose Tinted specs cracked a long time ago.

• Advertisement

randd1 wrote: »
    Your hurling memory needs a bit of a rejig.

First off, Cork beat Kilkenny by two points and the game could have gone either way in the last 10 minutes. This with Kilkenny not playing something like 6 regulars on a pitch that was torn up by a challenge match beforehand. Hardly what you could call destroying them.

Secondly, it was Dublin beat Kilkenny in the league final in 2011, not Galway.

You're right though, ultimately one result in the league doesn't set the rest of the year in stone.
    But as Tipp have shown in the last two years, poor application, little issues and lax attitude in the league can manifest itself later in the year.
    Apologies for the inaccuracies - bit embarrassing, memory not what is used to be - or should be.

2129ed wrote: »
    You have to slate somebody when they dont perform. Thats a fact of sporting life. you have to praise when you see them go well. Get over the criticism of Paudie Maher against Kilcormac. Read all the top journalists, everyone said he was poor, so did I. I also said he had an attitude problem, lack of humility.Quote "Swanning around Thurles".{ Personnel opinion} not a certain fact.
    Park that. I also said he has never let Tipp down, Quote, "He always does his Stuff."
    Get over the putting bodies on the line. They love to hurl and enjoy the battle. its an honour to represent your county, they are lucky boys. Young kids would die to follow in their footsteps. As I said earlier, it aint the fecking army. Did you ever play sports, you dont sound like an Athlete to me.
    Pain and toil are part of the package. Playing in the cold is something thousands of sports people do every week in Ireland. Most of them never see a Tv camera or have even an ounce of fame.
    If you pull on a shirt at the top level, you must expect the rough and the smooth. We all want Tipp to do well. Its no good patting them on the back and saying bad night at the office. This team has lost its last two competitive matches by a cricket score.
    People who hopped on the bandwagon of slating Tommy Dunne and Declan Ryan are now seeing a different situation on the horizon. Its the players who are not putting it in. There is no magic wand with the new management.
    It took Liam Sheedy three years to get the group the way it needed to be. I might also point out that if Galway had took their chances, we wouldent have won in 2010.
    By the way i was in Cork unlike you, I wasent watching setanta sports.
    Cork worked three times as hard as our lads. Eamonn O'Shea looked shocked afterwards.
    He has a job of work on here I can tell you. I will be in Thurles too, I wouldent be that optimistic as unlike you the Rose Tinted specs cracked a long time ago.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wouldnt even know where to begin with that post above. Horse sh*te not even fit for a beef burger!

I suppose since your such an expert there is no point reminding you that its an amateur game and that these players DONT GET PAID and that ive never ever met a person in top level sport that loved to lose let alone by that much. Im quiet confident i wont meet one in the near future either.

Im amazed also that since you were in Cork and all, that you escaped Eamonn O'Shea's radar. What him and the players could have done with your expertise! Did you not go to the sideline and have a few words or knock on the dressing room door at half time? Or do you charge a hefty fee? :rolleyes:

Your backed into a corner and your only way out is to make petty accusations and slag off your own county men. Your an absolute total and utter disgrace.

There is absolutely f*ck all anyone can do about the team except the playing personnel themselves of course.

We're blue in the face from demanding them to improve but neither me nor you, nor premierstone nor looder nor any other Tipp boardsie nor Nicky English nor Pat Fox nor John Leahy or all the rest of the Tipperary people can do about their plight. Even Eamon O'Shea can only do so much. All we can do is discuss the matches and support the team best as we can. If we cant do that then we should possibly piss off and follow something else.

Personally i think when the likes of Bonnar Maher and Buggy O'Meara who always put in monstrous efforts for the cause look to be struggling..then its a genuine sign these boys are doing some heavy training at the moment. I was pissed off as anyone as i stood behind the goal on Saturday night (and not on Setanta as you so ignorantly suggested without fúck all substance to back it up).

In fact id safely say ive been to more Tipperary matches in 2013 then you've even seen on telly. Such is your immature ill informed rantings id safely say 'Sellotanta' is the height of your 'support'.

If your whats really going to matches then i really do worry about Tipperary hurling going forward. Not go off and learn how to use the Internet with a bit of responsibility there's a good man. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

You have to slate somebody when they dont perform. Thats a fact of sporting life. you have to praise when you see them go well. .

They're amateur athletes, not getting paid, they don't deserve a slating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greyhound365

apologies for the sporadic posting, I still follow the post but only become involved from time to time, but this is ludicrousness. Let's put it into context here. We have thirty odd lads giving up their free time for the sake off the county and it's not even March and we're already writing them off? Eo'S has been manager for all of 3 real hurling months and already everyone and their mother is expecting miracles, let's not forget it took Sheedy 3 years and a monumental amount of effort to get his team to lift Liam. So let's not write the lad's off yet, as I, as a young Tipp supporter, have every faith in the lads to deliver come the business end of the championship.

As a side note: The way I look upon Lar Corbett is this; the man essentially won us the 2010 final and played some enormous hurling in 2011. In my opinion the man owes Tipp hurling absolutely zero. The man is newly married so imagine how his wife's feels listening to the unnecessary abuse he seems to be courting from all quarters since he won player of the year in 2010. I genuinely feel he must wish he never won that accolade. Have some faith lads. It's very easy to knock lads down from behind keyboards, when the reality is these lads are giving their bodies and their time for absolutely nothing apart from the pride in wearing that blue and gold. It's still only February for heaven's sake and I guarantee that if we beat KK come March 10th, the same lads that were slagging the team off will be singing their praises were we to beat them.

apologies for the sporadic posting, I still follow the post but only become involved from time to time, but this is ludicrousness. Let's put it into context here. We have thirty odd lads giving up their free time for the sake off the county and it's not even March and we're already writing them off? Eo'S has been manager for all of 3 real hurling months and already everyone and their mother is expecting miracles, let's not forget it took Sheedy 3 years and a monumental amount of effort to get his team to lift Liam. So let's not write the lad's off yet, as I, as a young Tipp supporter, have every faith in the lads to deliver come the business end of the championship.

As a side note: The way I look upon Lar Corbett is this; the man essentially won us the 2010 final and played some enormous hurling in 2011. In my opinion the man owes Tipp hurling absolutely zero. The man is newly married so imagine how his wife's feels listening to the unnecessary abuse he seems to be courting from all quarters since he won player of the year in 2010. I genuinely feel he must wish he never won that accolade. Have some faith lads. It's very easy to knock lads down from behind keyboards, when the reality is these lads are giving their bodies and their time for absolutely nothing apart from the pride in wearing that blue and gold. It's still only February for heaven's sake and I guarantee that if we beat KK come March 10th, the same lads that were slagging the team off will be singing their praises were we to beat them.

Hear hear Fair play to you greyhound a very mature and grounded post with rationality in abundance.

+1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

Lar said in his book he estimates the tipp county board paid around 50 grand treating his injuries the few years he was bad with injuries. He mightnt owe us anything as ye say but he owes the county board who helped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

tonyduggan wrote: »
    Lar said in his book he estimates the tipp county board paid around 50 grand treating his injuries the few years he was bad with injuries. He mightnt owe us anything as ye say but he owes the county board who helped him.

I reckon no county board would spend that kind of money if they didnt think they could get a nice financial return.

Anyway Lar is back for himself, teammates and management. I doubt he is back to help the county board make a few euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 2129ed

Spoken like a true office boy. At my age i have seen more matches than you have has hot dinners. Tipp Gunner, more like Tipp minger, are you man enough to say the truth? I would say you never played sport in your life. You are a hurler on the ditch! I have an ALL-Ireland medal for hurling, wheres yours. At least my ranting was vindicated by the Tipperary westside column. Read it office boy, you might learn more there. You live in some sand castle in the sky. At Least I am honest, no suger coating from me.Your an apologist, and an embarrassment. your groveling posts make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Jesus 2129ed you'd want to calm down lad, you've been on the attack since you joined this form, tipp_gunner's views are fairly good he never knocks a player when down, ya were all pisst with what's happening the tipp team and what makes you a know it all because you've an ALL IRELAND MEDAL!!!!
    Get a life and head over to premierview with all the other wingers will you please and stop attacking lads on here ..... Rant over thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Ed please go get a life and stop embarrassing yourself.

Would you call yourself a fan of tipperary hurling are do you just come on here having personal digs at players and posters?

You're "kick them while there down" approach to supporting the team is disgusting and shows your complete disregard for the game of hurling.

Your not the only one around here with a few medals either so you should learn to respect other people's views or piss off.

Spoken like a true office boy. At my age i have seen more matches than you have has hot dinners. Tipp Gunner, more like Tipp minger, are you man enough to say the truth? I would say you never played sport in your life. You are a hurler on the ditch! I have an ALL-Ireland medal for hurling, wheres yours. At least my ranting was vindicated by the Tipperary westside column. Read it office boy, you might learn more there. You live in some sand castle in the sky. At Least I am honest, no suger coating from me.Your an apologist, and an embarrassment. your groveling posts make me laugh.

Well if you have this All Ireland like you say you have then you'll know the level of dedication involved though id say your celtic cross comes from being a pain in the arse to all that is unfortunate to come across you.

Office boy??? Really is that actually meant to be a dig? is your brain that low in capacity you honestly couldnt think of a better insult?

Sand castle in the sky? ha Really sand is able to defy gravity and stay in the sky? Oh Wow :rolleyes:

My 'grovelling' posts make you laugh? Not half as much as your irrational idiotic rantings. Arguing with you is really a null contest because you clearly are not very intelligent. Now boards.ie has an ignore function thank god which i think i will avail of in future. Id advise many others to do the same with you because you really dont deserve another second of my time or anyone elses for that matter

When hyper children starting getting giddy its best not to feed their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

alan27 wrote: »
    I reckon no county board would spend that kind of money if they didnt think they could get a nice financial return.

Anyway Lar is back for himself, teammates and management. I doubt he is back to help the county board make a few euro.

He owes them loyalty at the least, not the freak show he has given the media the last however long. He said himself they spent that much, its in his book.

I reckon after seeing the last 2 games, Noel McGrath should be dropped. Dunno what hes at. Same to be said about Callinan. Id like to see bubbles and jason forde getting good run outs, bubbles has some touch on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Tipp_Gunner I've him on ignore since last night .... Tony I agree with you some thing has to be done with the two boys especially with forde and bubbles chomping at the bit, forward line needs to freshened up(all areas really!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post:

2129ed is taking a two week break from the forum.

Attack the post (within reason) and not the poster is a very simple rule for all to follow. Personal abuse towards other posters and aggressive trolling/flaming will not be be tolerated from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

tonyduggan wrote: »
    He owes them loyalty at the least, not the freak show he has given the media the last however long. He said himself they spent that much, its in his book.

I reckon after seeing the last 2 games, Noel McGrath should be dropped. Dunno what hes at. Same to be said about Callinan. Id like to see bubbles and jason forde getting good run outs, bubbles has some touch on him

As a non Tipp man, I think any dropping of McGrath should be only temporary. IMO he could be a fulcrum for Tipp this year if O Shea really gets them going.
    For me McGrath's main weakness is his lack of pace, he finds it difficult to find room when it gets congested. For him to be at his most effective, Tipp need to re-find the movement they had in 2010 & 11. That way there's more space for the likes of Mcgrath and his ability to find team-mates would be maximised.

It's not too bad a sign if lads are calling for a player of that calibre to be dropped, shows faith in what's in reserve

• Advertisement

In fairness there are not many players with the vision that Noel McGrath has, in my opinion hes one of the best to see a pass and play it. Use this effectively and reep the rewards, just go back to the pass for corbett's second goal in 2010 and another in particular against Limerick in 2009, he has been doing it the whole time these two moments are just a good example as they resulted in goals.

Big year for Callanan in my opinion especially with lads breathing down their necks, great potential as we have seen in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

alan27 wrote: »
    In fairness there are not many players with the vision that Noel McGrath has, in my opinion hes one of the best to see a pass and play it. Use this effectively and reep the rewards, just go back to the pass for corbett's second goal in 2010 and another in particular against Limerick in 2009, he has been doing it the whole time these two moments are just a good example as they resulted in goals.

Big year for Callanan in my opinion especially with lads breathing down their necks, great potential as we have seen in the past.
    Agreed, the crucial thing is that movement by other players is good and constant. That allows his teammates get the best from mcGrath

Have to say I liked Eoin Kelly's goal, he still has alot to offer in my opinion.

Getting away from our lads for a while - has anybody got any thoughts on Kilkenny and Galway, based on the game last Sunday? Both sets of players looked a bit rusty, I thought, especially Tommy and Jackie Tyrell. Tommy was badly skinned by Damien Hayes, also Jackie Tyrell put in a fairly harmless tackle. Couldn't see that happening later in the year when the heat is on in the championship! That said Galway seem to be able to score goals against that Kilkenny back-line. And I think Brian Hogan was the only defender missing from the AI winning team. It was strange to see Richie Power with number 9 on his back, I don't remember seeing him play midfield before. Didn't do too bad though, but seems to be still struggling with his freetaking, which is hard to explain, as he was always a brilliant free-taker - up until the game against Limerick last summer when his radar seemed to go on the blink.
    Kilkenny may have been ring-rusty but they were pressing Galway hard right to the end. Didn't look to me like they had a lot of training done. Cody didn't even take the hands out of his pockets to spit on them, as he usually does when things are not going to his liking
    Joe Canning seems to be doing a Lar on it now, working from far out the field as a playmaker - is he a law unto himself or would Cunningham be instructing him? Maybe brilliance doesn't need any instructions.
    Our lads will have to raise their work-rate from the zero that it's at to have any chance of beating the Cats - because one thing you can rely on is that they won't ever cave in, especially not to Tipp. And Kilkenny need a win to get points on the board. I think it will be a tense game in Semple and I'm looking forward to being there and expecting to see much better things from our lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 the Tipperary Voice

Hard to believe its gone so pear shaped. The reality is that maybe this team will never hit the heights again.
    Sometimes in sport you build yourself up to an incredible level of performance and cannot repeat or even get near it.
    Kilkenny play at that level all the time, so they just kept doing what comes naturally.
    We are unable or unwilling to give the massive effort needed year in year out.
    The players appear to be happy with One All Ireland every decade. They say they dont, but perfomances on the pitch dont lie.
    The Problem with Tipp and many other counties, is they hold onto players too long. They also give players a long time to find their feet.
    A number of players have been hugely tried. Seamus Callanan, James Woodlock, etc. A number of great club hurlers, have failed to make their mark at inter county level. Anyone remember Seamus Butler. Johnny Ryan as well.
    Noel McGrath is another who would have been culled in Kilkenny. He does not give any meaningful involvement, despite his wonderful talent.
    The new manager must have wondered how he got himself into this mess.
    The County is angry and frustrated. The players seem drained and lethargic. devoid of the key requirement needed to win All-Ireland's- hunger.
    Where has it gone?
    Its clear mental surgery is needed big time. Confidence is low. Talent is not an issue. We appear a yard slow, thats down to lack of sharpness mentally.
    I wouldn't write us off just yet though.
    O'Shea is a very shrewd man. He alluded to this in a recent interview, that the team had been on the go for 5 years, something different is needed.
    I think he has the key to unlock our prodigal son Lar as well. I noticed a different Corbett in Cork.
    Next week will tell a lot. The gloom will lift big time, if we give a performance.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

South Draws made tonight . Football is knock out this year , Clonmel Derby in the Quarter final , Commercials V Óg . Anyone hear the rest of the draw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

South Draws made tonight . Football is knock out this year , Clonmel Derby in the Quarter final , Commercials V Óg . Anyone hear the rest of the draw ?

Haven't heard the Senior Football but Senior Hurling Round 1 is Davins vs Killenaule, Ballingary vs Mullinahone. Swan get a bye. Probably the 6th/7th of April.

Intermediate Football Round 1 Swan v Fr. Sheehys, Grangemockler v Ballyporeen, Ballylooby v Commercials, Moyle Rovers a bye

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Just a quick note. Anyone who gets a temp ban is not to create a duplicate account in order to get around the ban.

It does show up and it will lead to a longer ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Medals bought from ebay or imaginary ones don't count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Hows it going Babs! You've been keeping quiet.

Advertisement