Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Agreed, I was baffled at the two final yellows leading to the sending offs.

Only just watched it so still taking it in but glad of the win, it should provide a confidence boost and it was a different story from the Cork horror show, lads tried and battled hard. The first half was quite good but the second kinda tailed off.

I thought Brenden Maher hurled a lot of ball, his pass distribution wasn't the best but he was good most of the game. Lar Corbett played well, his first half was great. Scored a fine goal and a great point. He created two more scores at minimum. Paudie Maher battled hard. I thought Paul Curran was a bit off the boil, he doesn't have a lot of pace but intercepted a few balls and hooked here and there. However Kilkenny were in with a shout of a penalty when he grabbed a Kilkenny forward's helmet.

The lack of organisation and structure in the forward line was worrying though. Too many forwards dropped back leaving others isolated or thickly covered. They were clumped in too many places and the traditional half-forward and full-forward lines didn't really exist.

How brilliant was John O' Dwyer's goal? :D Long ball in from O' Mahony, boom, off O' Dwyer's helmet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

OAOB wrote: »
    Thought Brendan Maher was excellent in midfield

Thought Lester Ryan won that particular duel myself and was the MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

just back from thurles and well done finally we got a performance and workrate.conditions didnt make for a good game but i enjoyed it none the less as my daughter whos 7 said daddy i finally seen the tipp dogs beat the pussy cats:p i dont think she thought she would ever see the day haha mickey cahill was bit off the pace but thats explainable but still worried about curran.conor o brien battled well and defo a better option than d maher but all in all everyone did well today so im not going to complain.i will be in galway next weekend so hopfully we can continue up there.on a little side note fair play to waterford i thought they wouldnt win any game this year so credit where credits due as much as it pains me to say it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Agreed, I was baffled at the two final yellows leading to the sending offs.

Only just watched it so still taking it in but glad of the win, it should provide a confidence boost and it was a different story from the Cork horror show, lads tried and battled hard. The first half was quite good but the second kinda tailed off.

I thought Brenden Maher hurled a lot of ball, his pass distribution wasn't the best but he was good most of the game. Lar Corbett played well, his first half was great. Scored a fine goal and a great point. He created two more scores at minimum. Paudie Maher battled hard. I thought Paul Curran was a bit off the boil, he doesn't have a lot of pace but intercepted a few balls and hooked here and there. However Kilkenny were in with a shout of a penalty when he grabbed a Kilkenny forward's helmet.

The lack of organisation and structure in the forward line was worrying though. Too many forwards dropped back leaving others isolated or thickly covered. They were clumped in too many places and the traditional half-forward and full-forward lines didn't really exist.

How brilliant was John O' Dwyer's goal? :D Long ball in from O' Mahony, boom, off O' Dwyer's helmet!

Both harsh sending offs.

Wasn't the easiest game due to difficult underfoot conditions, Very difficult to get proper grip in the sod which in turn made striking difficult and led to lots of blocks/poor strikes

randd1 wrote: »
    Thought Lester Ryan won that particular duel myself and was the MOTM.

I thought both hurled well tbh. Maher hurled an awful lot of ball and so did Ryan but i suppose that's the things with midfield duels. All play is relatively loose

Jesus i never seen anything like the speed the ball left Bubbles helmet. You couldn't meet it as perfect with the hurley.

The two sending offs (or second yellows at least were bizarre). Noel could do absolutely nothing about the first. How on earth do you get out of the way in that scenario? Tommy's second was rough too. No one next nor near him when he was swinging the hurley.

Worrying times for Tipp though in general. Too many softies have emerged from the two winning minor teams of last decade that we thought had so much promise. Afraid to mix it. The only ones willing to fight for the ball seemed to be the old guard in the forwards, Kelly, Corbett and Johno who are in the twilight of their intercounty careers. Im not so sure if Paul Curran and Conor O'Mahony are up to the intercounty game anymore. Badly lacking pace. Foxy O'Brien though was very good today i must say along with Padraic Maher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Any day we beat KK is a good day,thought Paudie Maher was brilliant today and Brendan had his best game in ages,the two old stager's Lar and Eoin did great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Didn't manage to make it to the game today but I must say the commentary on Tipp fm was fantastic.
    Poor conditions made for a scrappy game and generally comes down to the team who wants it the most, being at home and the previous result meant we were slightly hungrier.

We had a lot more first team players which is worrying. If we had lost to that Kilkenny team it would have been a massive blow.

Always nice to beat them and seeing tommy Welsh being sent off brought a smile.

Great header from bubbles!
    Is Ed back from his ban yet? Would love to hear his thoughts.!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

GREAT call by O'Shea with the team selection and people were complaining about Corbett and Kelly starting!

It's always a great boost beating Kilkenny. Even if it's only March! A much needed win!

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

The Tipperary under 21 football team to play Waterford in the Munster championship quarter final on Wednesday evening is :

1. Evan Comerford (Clonmel Commercials)
    2. Darragh Kearney (Clonmel Og)
    3. Niall O’Sullivan (Moycarkey/Borris)
    4. Conor O’Sullivan (Galtee Rovers)
    5. Padraic O’Meara (Shannon Rovers)
    6. Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials) CAPTAIN
    7. John O’Callaghan (Ballyporeen)
    8. Steven O’Brien (Ballina)
    9. Dylan Fitzell (Cashel King Cormacs)
    10. Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    11. Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers)
    12. Shane Leahy (Arravale Rovers)
    13. Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    14. Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials)
    15. Billy Hewitt (Ardfinnan .

Fairly strong Football team there.

• Advertisement

The Tipperary under 21 football team to play Waterford in the Munster championship quarter final on Wednesday evening is :

1. Evan Comerford (Clonmel Commercials)
    2. Darragh Kearney (Clonmel Og)
    3. Niall O’Sullivan (Moycarkey/Borris)
    4. Conor O’Sullivan (Galtee Rovers)
    5. Padraic O’Meara (Shannon Rovers)
    6. Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials) CAPTAIN
    7. John O’Callaghan (Ballyporeen)
    8. Steven O’Brien (Ballina)
    9. Dylan Fitzell (Cashel King Cormacs)
    10. Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    11. Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers)
    12. Shane Leahy (Arravale Rovers)
    13. Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    14. Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials)
    15. Billy Hewitt (Ardfinnan .

Where's Philip Quirke? is he injured?

EDIT: Just after seen both Fahey and Quirke out injured
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0308/ireland/fixture-schedule-frustrating-power-224876.html

Where's Philip Quirke? is he injured?

EDIT: Just after seen both Fahey and Quirke out injured
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0308/ireland/fixture-schedule-frustrating-power-224876.html

Both are named as subs . T.J. Ryan also named as a sub and Colman Kennedy must be due back soon , Cork City on top of the under 19 Elite Division with just a couple of games to go . So when injuries clear up and all players available it will be a serious squad .

Btw , saw this on the Waterford GAA Forum :

Apparently some of the U21 footballers only found out they were on the starting 15 to play Tipp on Wednesday through Facebook. Absolute shambles and we wonder why our footballers are losing to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

A few general thoughts on Sunday's game at Semple.

The team's reception when they ran out. Very, very muted for Tipp. Rousing for KK, you'd almost think that they were the home team. It was almost as if the Tipp supporters were sending a message to the players: prove to us that you're worth cheering for. I wondered how many Tipp supporters had come.

Quite a few, to judge by the sound later on when Tommy Walsh was unjustly sent off for an undeserved second yellow. I thought our supporters let themselves down badly by jeering a player in that position. Whatever you might think of Tommy and his tendency to have sneaky little digs, he is one of the greatest players ever to have graced the game of hurling and shouldn't have been subjected to such petty treatment.
    It has also been said that Cody and O'Shea didn't shake hands. Not after the game maybe, but they did shake hands before the game during the introduction of the 'flying nun'.
    Overall Tipp's performance was a vast improvement on the Cork game. However, if you left out the freak goal off Bubble's helmet we'd have come up short.
    Probably won't see a goal like that again in a hundred years!

A few general thoughts on Sunday's game at Semple.

The team's reception when they ran out. Very, very muted for Tipp. Rousing for KK, you'd almost think that they were the home team. It was almost as if the Tipp supporters were sending a message to the players: prove to us that you're worth cheering for. I wondered how many Tipp supporters had come.

Quite a few, to judge by the sound later on when Tommy Walsh was unjustly sent off for an undeserved second yellow. I thought our supporters let themselves down badly by jeering a player in that position. Whatever you might think of Tommy and his tendency to have sneaky little digs, he is one of the greatest players ever to have graced the game of hurling and shouldn't have been subjected to such petty treatment.
    It has also been said that Cody and O'Shea didn't shake hands. Not after the game maybe, but they did shake hands before the game during the introduction of the 'flying nun'.
    Overall Tipp's performance was a vast improvement on the Cork game. However, if you left out the freak goal off Bubble's helmet we'd have come up short.
    Probably won't see a goal like that again in a hundred years!

To be fair we played ourselves into trouble for Kilkenny's goal and 1 or 2 of their points so there is push-pull factors to every scenario. They got a score from a poor Gleeson puckout at another stage. Don't forget we went 7 points ahead on two occasions and yes we did get the bit of luck but sometimes thats needed.

Another thing i will add that for Bubbles goal, the Kilkenny player was more interested in trying to stop Bubbles playing the ball then actually getting possession himself only this time the cynical stuff backfired on them. Fair play to Bubbles for standing his ground. Had he being simply pushed off the ball like many other of our panellists, then he may not have been there to get any contact on the sliothar. Well worth playing a few one on ones like that in the future if we meet Kilkenny if you have the right man who will stand his ground coupled with the Kilkenny goalkeeper who isnt the best theyve had in recent times with all due respect to him

Under 21 Football Result :

Tipp 1-17 Waterford :

Waterford were 2 points to 1 up early on but once Tipp scored the goal they were comfortable enough . Missed alot of chances , lacked composure at times near their goal . Philip Quirke gave an exhibition when he came on with 15 minutes to go . Clare next in Thurles on Wednesday 27th .

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Under 21 Football - Tipperary 1-17; Waterford 0-9. Tipp were workmanlike and well in command for three quarters of the game. However, when Philip Quirke came on a sub midway through the second he set the team and supporters alight with 4 glorious points from play. It brought back sweet memories of Croke Park in 2011 and Jason Lonergan also scored 2 points after coming on. Next up Clare in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Davin Stand as I am out of the country for some time now I must express must express my appreciation on you keeping up to date on what is happening with regard to Tipp football.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Xenophile wrote: »
    Spirit of 67, as I am out of the country for some time now I must express must express my appreciation on you keeping up to date on what is happening with regard to Tipp football.
    .................................................................................................................................PLease ensure your best that the song "Slievenamon always remains as Tipp's anthem.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Munster GAA Frewen Cup Under 16 ½ A Football Semi-Final Result

Clonmel CBS 1-17 v Col. Chríost Rí Cork 0-7 .

Clonmel CBS will now play PS. Chorca Dhuibhne in a repeat of last years final , that Clonmel lost by 8 points to 7 . Another good day for Tipp Football even though there might be 1 or 2 Waterford Hoors on the Panel :D .

• Advertisement

BTW big shock last night in the South Tipp Under 21 Football Championship , Ballyporeen 14 Commercials 9 .

BTW big shock last night in the South Tipp Under 21 Football Championship , Ballyporeen 14 Commercials 9 .
    Wasn't expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Another great result for Tipp in the National League today, beating Limerick by 0-15 to 0-9. We are really back in the promotion race again.

Another great result for Tipp in the National League today, beating Limerick by 0-15 to 0-9. We are really back in the promotion race again.

Some result indeed. Wow we really have momentum behind us now. H'on Tipp!!

Anyone seen Tipp's team for Monday's game v Galway? Not listed on Tippgaa.ie as it usually is.

Anyone seen Tipp's team for Monday's game v Galway? Not listed on Tippgaa.ie as it usually is.
    Tipp team to play Galway.

Gleeson P Stapleton P Curran M Cahill P Maher C OMahony C OBrien J Woodlock B Maher S McGrath L Corbett J OBrien S Bourke S Callanan E Kelly.

Good to see Shane Mc Grath back in the team after his injury.

Great win DS,Tipp footballers moving well now.

Just thinking about last week. Kilkenny get a goal. With any other man than O'Shea in charge i feel we would have buckled but it shows the belief the team have in him that they dug deep and clawed their way back to victory. We're on the right track alright and while i believe while we cant expect the accolades to be instantaneous, that the mentality within the panel is improving two fold.

Thing is though we might be starved until we get a flow of minors and under 21s from last year through the system. My big worry is that one or two of our backs just haven't the legs for the big wide open spaces any more.

I'm heartened by the response from our footballlers. To be fair its a dog eat dog division and perhaps it may be a case that after playing Kerry and Cork in the McGrath cup that we found it hard to handle the favourites tag against Carlow and Waterford in the league matches in such a short space of time. We've settled within the division now and are looking at promotion to division 3. Two more wins and we're back. Leitrim in Semple next week and Offaly in Tullamore April 4th. Both games will be hard and Offaly is a derby of sorts but we have a good recent record against them. We beat them in both 2009 and 2011 and knocked them out of the championship last year so its not beyond us but its a very highly competitive division. No one can be taken lightly. If we can get that promotion then we are more than capable of holding our own next season.

H'on Tipp!

From Tipp GAA website. Up coming fixtures
    Inter-County Fixtures

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Upcoming fixtures for the Tipperary Senior hurlers include:-[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Please note that the venue for these games are in (brackets)

• March 18th @ 2:00pm - vs. Galway (Pearse Stadium Galway) - 2013 Allianz Hurling League
    • March 24th @ 2:30pm - vs. Waterford (Walsh Park Waterford) - 2013 Allianz Hurling League
    • March 31st @ 3:00pm - vs. Clare (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 Allianz Hurling League
    • June 9th @ 4:00pm vs. Limerick (Gaelic Grounds Limerick) - 2013 Munster Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final
    Upcoming fixtures for the Tipperary Senior footballers include:-
    • March 24th @ 2:00pm - vs. Leitrim (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • April 7th @ 3:00pm - vs. Offaly (O'Connor Park Tullamore) - 2013 Allianz Football League
    • May 26th @ 2:00pm vs. Kerry (Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney) - 2013 Munster Senior Football Championship Quarter-Final
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Upcoming fixtures for the other Tipperary inter-county teams include - [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    • March 20th @ 7:30pm vs. Kilkenny (Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny) - 2013 Under 21 Inter-County Hurling Fundraiser in aid of Kilkenny CBS Pitch Investment Scheme
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]March 27th @ 7:30pm vs. Clare (Semple Stadium Thurles) - [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]2013 Cadbury Munster GAA Football U21 Championship[/FONT] Semi-Final
    • April 10th @ 7:30pm - vs. Cork or Limerick (Semple Stadium Thurles or Gaelic Grounds Limerick) [FONT=arial, sans-serif]- [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]2013 Cadbury Munster GAA Football U21 Championship[/FONT] Final (if Tipperary defeat Clare in the Semi-Final)
    • April 10th @ 7:00pm vs. Waterford (Waterford venue) - 2013 Electric Ireland Munster GAA Hurling Minor Championship
    • April 20th @ 7:00pm vs. Clare (Clare venue) - 2013 Electric Ireland Munster GAA Football Minor Championship
    • May 26th @ 12:00pm vs. Kerry (Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney) - 2013 Munster Junior Football Championship Quarter-Final
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]June 6th @ 7:30pm vs. Limerick (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 [/FONT]Bord Gais Energy Munster GAA Hurling U21 Championship Quarter-Final
    • June 9th @ 1:45pm vs. Limerick (Gaelic Grounds Limerick) - 2013 Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Final
    • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]July 17th @ 7:30pm vs. Cork (Semple Stadium Thurles) - 2013 [/FONT]Bord Gais Energy Munster GAA Hurling U21 Championship Semi-Final (if Tipperary defeat Limerick in the Quarter-Final)

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Tipp team to play Galway.

Gleeson P Stapleton P Curran M Cahill P Maher C OMahony C OBrien J Woodlock B Maher S McGrath L Corbett J OBrien S Bourke S Callanan E Kelly.

Good to see Shane Mc Grath back in the team after his injury.

Thanks Tippspur. Interesting selection. Is Gleeson now the man in possession of the goalie's jersey? I thought I read somewhere that the keeper's position was going to be rotated during the league? Three changes in the forward line. N. McGrath's is a forced change. And Bubbles? - would have liked to see him getting a run. Maybe O'Shea is rotating the forwards, giving lads a chance to prove themselves. It's a while now since Seamie Callanan actually started a game - hope he does well. I presume Shane McGrath will slot in on the wing - or maybe as a third midfielder as Noel McGrath was doing against KK. I have doubts about our central defence in terms of having the legs on fast ground - those Galway forwards are fast - Curran and O'Mahony will need to be on their game.
    It will be a tough game. Galway will be going all out for points as will Tipp. Still, we have a good record against them in recent years. But, they probably feel they are overdue a win, and will want to lay down a marker for any possible championship meeting.

Advertisement