Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Student/OAPs were charged €5 in Waterford last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Just wondering about the implications of defeat against Clare tomorrow - we could be thrown into a relegation playoff, is that right? But if Galway lose to Waterford and remain on 3 pts. does that mean they will be automatically relegated as they would be at the bottom of the table? In that scenario could Tipp lose and not be involved in a play-off?
    Really, they need to win to banish the doubts that are still lingering after their erratic performances so far in the league. Annihilation against Cork, redemption against KK, a cakewalk against Galway, below par against Waterford - what will we see against Clare? I think the big win against Galway flattered them. The Galway players stood well off and gave them loads off space - when that happens our forwards can do an awful lot of damage. When they are tightly marked as they were by Brick Walsh & co in the Waterford game they are not so productive.
    Clare have fast forwards who run a lot and are capable of putting up big scores, especially points - they haven't been great at scoring goals, so far. Let's hope they don't start on Sunday. Clare should really have beaten KK, they had lots of chances. But KK are the most consistent team around, they always take their chances when they get them and tend to make fewer mistakes than the opposition. Clare paid dearly for not being able to do the same.
    Our forwards have more of a goal threat than Clare's, although it didn't materialise against Waterford. Hopefully, they will be able to outscore Clare, show a bit of consistency, and not have to worry about relegation battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Another great result for Tipperary football this afternoon. All Ireland Colleges Senior Football "B" Semi Final - Our Lady's, Templemore 1-11; Naas CBS 0-7. Templemore into the All Ireland Final against the Connacht or Ulster Champions. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Just wondering about the implications of defeat against Clare tomorrow - we could be thrown into a relegation playoff, is that right? But if Galway lose to Waterford and remain on 3 pts. does that mean they will be automatically relegated as they would be at the bottom of the table? In that scenario could Tipp lose and not be involved in a play-off?

Relegation isn't automatic. If Tipp lose to Clare tomorrow they will be in a relegation playoff regardless of the results elsewhere due to Tipp's points difference. The only thing the other results will determine is who Tipp play in the playoff.

The permutations of who Tipp would play in the relegation playoff if Tipp lose tomorrow are:

Cork - Galway win, Kilkenny win, Clare win.
    Galway - Waterford win/draw, Kilkenny win, Clare win
    Kilkenny - Galway win, Cork win, Clare win
    Waterford - Kilkenny/Cork draw, Galway win, Clare win/draw

As things stand, if Tipp end up in the relegation playoff, Tipp can't play Clare in a relegation playoff.

randd1 wrote: »
    Relegation isn't automatic. If Tipp lose to Clare tomorrow they will be in a relegation playoff regardless of the results elsewhere due to Tipp's points difference. The only thing the other results will determine is who Tipp play in the playoff.

The permutations of who Tipp would play in the relegation playoff if Tipp lose tomorrow are:

Cork - Galway win, Kilkenny win, Clare win.
    Galway - Waterford win/draw, Kilkenny win, Clare win
    Kilkenny - Galway win, Cork win, Clare win
    Waterford - Kilkenny/Cork draw, Galway win, Clare win/draw

As things stand, if Tipp end up in the relegation playoff, Tipp can't play Clare in a relegation playoff.

Thanks Randd1. A lot of permutations there! You'd think they could have devised a more straightforward system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks Randd1. A lot of permutations there! You'd think they could have devised a more straightforward system.

It's fairly straightforward, bottom two teams go into a relegation play-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

just back great win alto clare made us look good to they came out 2nd half and had no interest in hurling.we didnt win a sausage in the half forward line until bonner came and thats a worry.brendan maher was immense again and im glad eoin kelly is back playing well to.

Feckin freezing up in Semple Stadium today,we put Clare back in their box anyway that's for sure,you can never beat them by enough.this was a good team effort with everyone doing their bit from the start even Noel Mac got going today with a couple of lovely points.
    Shane Burke was good also,great to see the Bonner back and doing well.I must go and thaw myself out by the fire for a while.......hon Tipp

Another great result for Tipperary football this afternoon. All Ireland Colleges Senior Football "B" Semi Final - Our Lady's, Templemore 1-11; Naas CBS 0-7. Templemore into the All Ireland Final against the Connacht or Ulster Champions. Well done to all.

Fair play to Our Lady's. To come back after such disappointment in the colleges hurling is great credit to them. i hope they get their rewards the way they are keeping both codes going

buggy beag wrote: »
    just back great win alto clare made us look good to they came out 2nd half and had no interest in hurling.we didnt win a sausage in the half forward line until bonner came and thats a worry.brendan maher was immense again and im glad eoin kelly is back playing well to.

Firstly great win today. Very professional performance. Bit of fortune for two of the goals but never looked in danger of losing. Some lovely touches notably from Lar and Bonnar and i would hazard a guess and think that Tipperary's new found confidence with their lovely touches and slick hurling is a result of more use of the hurley in training as opposed to all the fitness work they done in the last regime. Coaches forget themselves and are paying too much emphasis on fitness. Yes its important but its also important to be able to rise the ball. EOS has addressed this issue almost immediately.

Top of the group and who would believe it after the hiding in Cork the night. Corks fortunes have turned the other way and amazingly could find themselves in Div 1B next year.

Though i agree with your post and without hating to cast any negativity on the current state i would support your argument that we have few men able to win primary possession in our forwards. Even Bubbles, and Shane Bourke need a second bite of the cherry. Considering their height and build, both Noel McGrath and Callinan are very poor

Our backs are vulnerable if there is space for opposition to run into. Gleeson needs to be cleverer with the short puck outs.

Dublin or Limerick will be a good test the next day and for the sake of getting extra preparation for that game v Limerick on June 9th, its great to have as much competitive games as possible in advance

O'Shea was laughed at when he suggested that any of 8 teams could win the All Ireland this year but he could be proven right if the league is anything to go by. Even if he is far off the mark then its an absolute masterstroke to send a message to his players to take absolutely no team for granted. Its been Tipp's biggest foible for years

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Feckin freezing up in Semple Stadium today,we put Clare back in their box anyway that's for sure,you can never beat them by enough.this was a good team effort with everyone doing their bit from the start even Noel Mac got going today with a couple of lovely points.
    Shane Burke was good also,great to see the Bonner back and doing well.I must go and thaw myself out by the fire for a while.......hon Tipp

Christ above Spur it was indeed perishing. I was never as glad to get into a car as i was when that game ended. Who would have thought we could potentially need two pairs of socks at a game in late March. We played Waterford last year and the sun was splitting the rocks and i remember our footballers played Wexford in the league round same time in 2011 and it was glorious weather. Bring the suntan lotion on June 9th folks :D The Irish weather will balance out yet

Firstly great win today. Very professional performance. Bit of fortune for two of the goals but never looked in danger of losing. Some lovely touches notably from Lar and Bonnar and i would hazard a guess and think that Tipperary's new found confidence with their lovely touches and slick hurling is a result of more use of the hurley in training as opposed to all the fitness work they done in the last regime. Coaches forget themselves and are paying too much emphasis on fitness. Yes its important but its also important to be able to rise the ball. EOS has addressed this issue almost immediately.

Top of the group and who would believe it after the hiding in Cork the night. Corks fortunes have turned the other way and amazingly could find themselves in Div 1B next year.

Though i agree with your post and without hating to cast any negativity on the current state i would support your argument that we have few men able to win primary possession in our forwards. Even Bubbles, and Shane Bourke need a second bite of the cherry. Considering their height and build, both Noel McGrath and Callinan are very poor

Our backs are vulnerable if there is space for opposition to run into. Gleeson needs to be cleverer with the short puck outs.

Dublin or Limerick will be a good test the next day and for the sake of getting extra preparation for that game v Limerick on June 9th, its great to have as much competitive games as possible in advance

O'Shea was laughed at when he suggested that any of 8 teams could win the All Ireland this year but he could be proven right if the league is anything to go by. Even if he is far off the mark then its an absolute masterstroke to send a message to his players to take absolutely no team for granted. Its been Tipp's biggest foible for years

yes and ive noticed in most of his interviews he is constantly saying were the third best team in the country so thats taking pressure off the team to.p maher seriously needs to get back to playing hurling and less of the cock of the walk showboating.teams have figured him out now when he goes on these pointless runs(pointless meaning there is never any end product)and when hes dispossessed most teams hit it straight back 2 his position because they know hes not there.i still have my doubts about curran and it looked for the most of the first half as if clare were trying to isolate him.on a dry day with a better forward he could have been done 2 or 3 times.i was talking to a lad in front of me and he said watch tomorrow they will all be talking about n mcgraths couple of points but wont say how he did nothing for the rest of the game good point imo.we delivered a crazy amount of ball into the forwards and we should have had more scores to reflect that but overall happy out and it seems unlike the last 2 years noone is a starter in the first 15 so plenty of compeition.michael ryan said in paper the other day that there was 2 fights at training because of the intensity showed and that he went home with a smile on his face.were in a good position hopfully wel keep tippn along:)

yes and ive noticed in most of his interviews he is constantly saying were the third best team in the country so thats taking pressure off the team to.p maher seriously needs to get back to playing hurling and less of the cock of the walk showboating.teams have figured him out now when he goes on these pointless runs(pointless meaning there is never any end product)and when hes dispossessed most teams hit it straight back 2 his position because they know hes not there.i still have my doubts about curran and it looked for the most of the first half as if clare were trying to isolate him.on a dry day with a better forward he could have been done 2 or 3 times.i was talking to a lad in front of me and he said watch tomorrow they will all be talking about n mcgraths couple of points but wont say how he did nothing for the rest of the game good point imo.we delivered a crazy amount of ball into the forwards and we should have had more scores to reflect that but overall happy out and it seems unlike the last 2 years noone is a starter in the first 15 so plenty of compeition.michael ryan said in paper the other day that there was 2 fights at training because of the intensity showed and that he went home with a smile on his face.were in a good position hopfully wel keep tippn along:)

Delighted with the win yesterday, although Clare were poor, I expected a lot more from them. I agree with your point about P.Maher, and in addition, on two occasions he swung one-handed and wild with the hurley - thought he would have learned a hard lesson after the Michael Rice incident last August. I also agree about Paul Curran, on three occasions O'Donnell, the Clare number 14 beat him well to low ball. He didn't seem to have the guile or the strength to take Curran on and he managed to hold him out. 'Bonner' lit the place up when he came on and straight away starting winning ball and feeding it to others. It's essential that we have him and Lar going well for those forwards to thrive. They seem to be the only two that can make things happen, create openings. Poor Jonno had a bit of a nightmare when he came on. I've noticed over the years that if Jonno's touch on the first ball to come his way isn't good he doesn't do well afterwards. As to Noel McGrath, he got a couple of nice points yesterday, but I'm beginning to wonder if he's a luxury that we can no longer afford on the team?
    Was Bubbles substituted because of injury?
    The best thing of all, I think, is Brendan Maher's return to form - he was the heartbeat of the team in 2010, let's hope he can carry it on into the championship. Yesterday we controlled the game around midfield and the forwards had an unlimited supply of good ball, which wasn't always put to good use. They won't always be getting that kind of supply.
    By the way, did anyone posting here ever have a shouter behind them at a game? You know, the kind of fella with a loud voice that carries right across the field no matter what's going on? Usually he's shouting abuse and seems to know better than the ref, players and management on both sides.
    Yesterday I was sitting beside some Clare people with a Tipp ignoramus roaring behind us. It was shameful and embarrassing to hear some of the things he was shouting about Clare and Davy Fitzgerald.

p maher seriously needs to get back to playing hurling and less of the cock of the walk showboating.teams have figured him out now when he goes on these pointless runs(pointless meaning there is never any end product)and when hes dispossessed most teams hit it straight back 2 his position because they know hes not there.

Agreed. His one fault is these pointless runs. He had two men available right and left yesterday but went alone and drove it wide. Great hurler Paudie but runs a huge risk when he does this.

i still have my doubts about curran and it looked for the most of the first half as if clare were trying to isolate him.on a dry day with a better forward he could have been done 2 or 3 times.

I was terrified them isolating Curran because tbh he has no pace and the worrying thing is we have no one to replace him on the panel apart from moving Paudie back there. Cody has his lack of pace copped certainly and Curran never had the longest clearance either.

i was talking to a lad in front of me and he said watch tomorrow they will all be talking about n mcgraths couple of points but wont say how he did nothing for the rest of the game good point imo.we delivered a crazy amount of ball into the forwards and we should have had more scores to reflect that but overall happy out

Agreed. Noel is not performing to the height of his capabilities. Great man to pick off scores but in terms of primary possession he is lacking greatly and the same goes with Callanan. When you see how hard and ferocious that the likes of Richie Power or Colin Fennelly work off the ball for example, then you'd have to wonder how some of our lads get away with this attitude. When either SC or NMcG lose a ball they make at very best a token gesture to try and convince people that they have worked their hardest to win it back and Lar can be guilty of this too on occasion. One thing ill say about Bourke and Bubbles is although they are inclined to get shoved off it easily at times they will work their hardest to win it back. Eoin Kelly was amazing yesterday not just for his scoring but his whole attitude. He forced the goalie to think quick at one stage and we won a sideline from that pressure. Tremendous guy.

and it seems unlike the last 2 years noone is a starter in the first 15 so plenty of compeition.michael ryan said in paper the other day that there was 2 fights at training because of the intensity showed and that he went home with a smile on his face.were in a good position hopfully wel keep tippn along:)

Great to hear that. It means there is a bit of hunger brewing there. This management is top class to be honest. We're starting to resemble the Tipp team that steamrolled Kilkenny in 2010 as opposed to the tame effort the following year.
    In Declan Ryan and Tommy Dunne's defence, they had a few strong personalities to contend with on the panel but looking at the sloppiness of Tipperary's touches the last two years in contrast to the crispness of their touches at present and from 08 to 10 then i have to wonder if they found the right balance between fitness and stick work.

Delighted with the win yesterday, although Clare were poor, I expected a lot more from them. I agree with your point about P.Maher, and in addition, on two occasions he swung one-handed and wild with the hurley - thought he would have learned a hard lesson after the Michael Rice incident last August. I also agree about Paul Curran, on three occasions O'Donnell, the Clare number 14 beat him well to low ball. He didn't seem to have the guile or the strength to take Curran on and he managed to hold him out. 'Bonner' lit the place up when he came on and straight away starting winning ball and feeding it to others. It's essential that we have him and Lar going well for those forwards to thrive. They seem to be the only two that can make things happen, create openings. Poor Jonno had a bit of a nightmare when he came on. I've noticed over the years that if Jonno's touch on the first ball to come his way isn't good he doesn't do well afterwards. As to Noel McGrath, he got a couple of nice points yesterday, but I'm beginning to wonder if he's a luxury that we can no longer afford on the team?
    Was Bubbles substituted because of injury?
    The best thing of all, I think, is Brendan Maher's return to form - he was the heartbeat of the team in 2010, let's hope he can carry it on into the championship. Yesterday we controlled the game around midfield and the forwards had an unlimited supply of good ball, which wasn't always put to good use. They won't always be getting that kind of supply.
    By the way, did anyone posting here ever have a shouter behind them at a game? You know, the kind of fella with a loud voice that carries right across the field no matter what's going on? Usually he's shouting abuse and seems to know better than the ref, players and management on both sides.
    Yesterday I was sitting beside some Clare people with a Tipp ignoramus roaring behind us. It was shameful and embarrassing to hear some of the things he was shouting about Clare and Davy Fitzgerald.

I was in the O'Riain stand myself. Nothing much there. Seemed to be a great atmosphere around the ground in general. The odd comment here and there but nothing too bad. The ref took a bit of flak alright and while he hadnt the best of games i think fans need to calm down a little.

The soccer style abuse that is creeping in to these games is idiotic though. The abuse Davy took from our fans in the 2011 Munster final was sheer embarrassing. Totally unnecessary. You dont have to hate the opposition to love your own team. And whatever people say about Davy he has immense passion and wears his heart on his sleeve. A hurling fanatic. Well liked by the Tipp players who hurled for LIT also. Shane McG, Eoin and Conor O'Mahony are 3 such players that seem to have great time for him from what i hear. Shane McGrath's potential may never have been realised had Davy not given him a start with LIT. Davy also gave Tipp and Eamon O'Shea the height of praise in the post match interviews yesterday. People need to calm down. Encourage our own team by all accounts but just going there to act the idiot is bad form. We're Tipperary hurling, not Millwall FC

could conor o mahoney be an option at fullback?

could conor o mahoney be an option at fullback?
    Why,didn't Curran play well there yesterday.

tippspur wrote: »
    Why,didn't Curran play well there yesterday.

Considering all the speedy forwards in the game at present like Colin Fennelly or Luke O'Farrell then i would be very concerned about Curran. Teams have identified him as a weak spot and are doing their utmost to create 1 on 1 situations. Our style might need a faster player to play there. Not sure about O'Mahony but we need to find a player who can slot in there in the next few years that has a bit of pace. Andrew Ryan from Toom or Michael Breen from Ballina are last years respective underage fullbacks but their time might be a while down the line.

Huge week coming up for football in Tipperary. Our Lady's. Templemore play in the All Ireland Colleges "B" Final on Saturday. NFL promotion decider on Sunday, Tipp. v. Offaly in Tullamore and Munster Under 21 Final v. Cork in Thurles next Wednesday. Best of luck to everyone involved in these big games.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Bus to Tullamore on Sunday for the Tipp v Offaly game leaving the Jockey at 12pm via Thurles ,Templemore, Roscrea, call 0879877355 to book your seat .

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Friends of Tipperary Football Open Five Card Draw Poker Tournament €10,000 (pro rata /70%pay out guranteed) Abbey Court Hotel , Nenagh Friday 26th April start time 8 30. Entry €100 No buy backs.! Complimentry food , great spot prizes. 0872566157 for tickets . A Team Tipperary event .

Not looking good in Tullamore so far.
    We're 4 down and Offaly have the wind.

Looks like the promotion dream has died :( That loss to Carlow the first day out has come back to bite us in the arse coupled with poor discipline.

Tipperary Under 21 team to play Cork in Munster Final on wednesday night - Gearoid Slattery (Cashel), Niall O'Sullivan (Moycarkey), Darragh Kearney (Clonmel Og), Conor O'Sullivan (Galtee Rovers), Niall O'Meara (Kilruane McDonaghs), Seamus Kennedy (Commercials) capt., Paddy Dalton (Arravale Rovers), Stephen O'Brien (Ballina), Dylan Fitzelle (Cashel), Bill Maher (Kilsheelan), Ian Fahey (Commercials), Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers), Liam McGrath (Loughmore), Michael Quinlivan (Commercials), Shane Leahy (Arravale Rovers). Hopefully, Mikey Quinlivan will be able to play and that Philip Quirke can play some part in the game. Best of luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

How many of the Minor hurling team from last year are overage. I know Hammill, Bill Maher, Stephen O Brien and John McGrath are, how many more. Who'd be the players ye'd be looking too this year? Ronan Maher is one I take it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

How many of the Minor hurling team from last year are overage. I know Hammill, Bill Maher, Stephen O Brien and John McGrath are, how many more. Who'd be the players ye'd be looking too this year? Ronan Maher is one I take it

Tadgh Gallagher would be another one of the 'big names' missing from last year.

Ronan Maher, Barry Heffernan, Tom Kirwan, Tom Fox, Mark McCarthy are all there from last year - Jack Shelly is underage but I have heard he is injured.

Shane Hennessy and Willie Connors are two with a very bright future Hennesy is 15 and Connors 16. Colin O Riordan who has been a part of the Football minot team for the last 3 years is part of the hurling this year and had a very good year with Templemore in the Harty as did Fullback Jason Ryan who is a brother of Andrew Ryan the U21 full back from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Tadgh Gallagher would be another one of the 'big names' missing from last year.

Ronan Maher, Barry Heffernan, Tom Kirwan, Tom Fox, Mark McCarthy are all there from last year - Jack Shelly is underage but I have heard he is injured.

Shane Hennessy and Willie Connors are two with a very bright future Hennesy is 15 and Connors 16. Colin O Riordan who has been a part of the Football minot team for the last 3 years is part of the hurling this year and had a very good year with Templemore in the Harty as did Fullback Jason Ryan who is a brother of Andrew Ryan the U21 full back from last year.

Mark McCarthy was very impressive last year. Tom Fox is captain I see. Would you be confident ye've a strong team? If Waterford had Stephen Bennett fit then I'd say we had a very good team, but there's a few forwards in the backline possibly to try and account for a lack of backs. Also, one or two omissions that strike me as odd, but maybe it's the right decision. I know little about the management but they certainly can't be accused of bias with the starting team named.

Tipp team has been named and lines out as follows :

1. Brian Hogan (Lorrha and Dorrha)

2. Austin Tierney (Shannon Rovers)

3. Jason Ryan (Toomevara)

4. Darragh Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs)

5. Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)

6. Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)

7. Tom Kirwan (Ballybacon Grange)

8. Tom Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty) Captain

9. Willie Connors (Kildangan)

10. Sean Ryan (Sean Treacys)

11. Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens)

12. Shane Hennessy (Nenagh Éire Óg)

13. Conor Lanigan (Thurles Sarsfields)

14. Josh Keane (Golden Kilfeacle)

15. Mark McCarthy (Toomevara

A relatively strong team but to answer your question Mountain I would think that the team isn't quite as strong as last years, the backs are very solid, midfield looks strong but personally I feel there maybe a lack of genuine scoring forwards, although to be fair this was a problem last year aswell at times but it was offset by John McGrath's contributions from midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Powers have made tipp 2/5 fav's Waterford 2/1, I think that's a good price for Waterford esp at home, if tipp can hold the corner forward curran that will help us big time, he was the outstanding player for dungarvan colleges on there march to the harty cup and all Ireland. Tips full forward line looks really good keane has some eye for goal.

• Advertisement

2/1 looks very big to me, although never like to invest too much money in minors, can be so unpredictable.

Would imagine the game will come down to the battle between Tipps half back line and Waterfords half forward line, if Waterford could gain any sort of parity there Tipp may struggle. That will be easier said than done for Waterford though.

Advertisement