Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

will Lar and JJ miss any games as a result of the red cards or is it just a case of 4 straight weeks. Tipp play Limerick in 5 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

He was harsher on Tipperary. Bonnar was done for over-carrying despite being held and having the ball on the hurl and he was being held also.

I would doubt Lar done alot to JJ either. Both were put in the same bracket to even things up and take the sting off the home crowd. Lar probably gave a dig but JJ was alot guiltier.

Another occasion he thrown in the ball when a Tipperary man was well behind it.

Regarding the sending off, I'd guess that both players were digging each other and that's what the umpires told the ref, the TV showed JJ being the bigger offender, but didn't show what/who started it.
    The KK should also have got a yellow as he was 3rd man in.
    I think Shane Bourke was booked during that stoppage, what did he do??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Kilkenny fans treat Corbett as a joke and to be honest it's becoming head wrecking.

Plenty of Tipp fans think he's a joke as well, don't cod yourself on that one. He's got a lot worse off of Tipp fans over the years. The less said about the abuse he received off of his own after the 2011 final and the 2010 SF the better.

Always though he was a good one myself, if he does go mad and go missing on occasions and make you want roar at him. One wonders might Tipp have won something during the mid 00's if Kelly had a fit and consistent Corbett beside him as he had in 2008-2011 instead of carrying the county on his own.

Besides the way we go on about Lar is in no way worse than the way Tipp lads go on about Tommy Walsh and Jackie Tyrrell. Its just the way fans work I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

washman3 wrote: »
    will Lar and JJ miss any games as a result of the red cards or is it just a case of 4 straight weeks. Tipp play Limerick in 5 weeks time.

Both will miss one game. For Tipperary Corbett will miss the opener against Limerick. Delaney will miss the game vs. Offaly in Tullamore.
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    I think Shane Bourke was booked during that stoppage, what did he do??

Apparently a heavy high tackle on a KK defender. Not absolutely certain.
    randd1 wrote: »
    Plenty of Tipp fans think he's a joke as well, don't cod yourself on that one. He's got a lot worse off of Tipp fans over the years. The less said about the abuse he received off of his own after the 2011 final and the 2010 SF the better.

Always though he was a good one myself, if he does go mad and go missing on occasions and make you want roar at him. One wonders might Tipp have won something during the mid 00's if Kelly had a fit and consistent Corbett beside him as he had in 2008-2011 instead of carrying the county on his own.

Besides the way we go on about Lar is in no way worse than the way Tipp lads go on about Tommy Walsh and Jackie Tyrrell. Its just the way fans work I'm afraid.

I think Lar's pretty much redeemed himself somewhat, I'd go as far as saying. I've only been to three League games and he's received a favourable reception in all of them - pretty much because he's been one of the best players. There's a few who would agree so it's not an absolute consensus. The fans who lashed at him post-August was in the heat of the moment and those who still go on about it aren't thorough fans IMO. Plastic fans who have no basis in their argument.

The whole Walsh/Tyrell thing goes over my head, personally and I don't get involved with it but I see what you mean. I rather let the fans say what they want and I prefer talking analysis. Like yesterday I had a great chat with the lad beside me who was hugely informative and really well up on the game. Whereas the guy a seat over to my right said Seamie Callanan was useless and he heavily criticised another defender (name slips me) but both are having solid seasons. Point is that not all fans think alike. Just disappointing that Lar gets jeered everytime. Even yesterday when a defender made a really good block he got jeered even though it was a stellar play and deserved applauding. Maybe it's just because I'm a fan of Corbett and since he's playing well (despite going missing here and there) and putting in good shifts he still gets abuse from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

It was a good performance by Tipp yesterday and we're looking like the second best team in the country again but i think we need to put a bit of perspective in place, KK left a lot of scores behind them yesterday and have a lot more established players to come back. Our backs did ok but i still thought there was a lot of poor ball just fired up to the forwards, they were aimless balls and were always going to favour the KK backs, Padraic Maher is constantly guilty of doing it. Our forwards really didn't get going yesterday but we need to give them better opportunities to show off their skills. Low balls or balls into space should be what we're looking to play and players like Bourke, Callanan and Corbett will thrive. If we want to persist with these high balls then Bonner and O'Meara are the type of forward who will stand a chance of winning them

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    It was a good performance by Tipp yesterday and we're looking like the second best team in the country again but i think we need to put a bit of perspective in place, KK left a lot of scores behind them yesterday and have a lot more established players to come back. Our backs did ok but i still thought there was a lot of poor ball just fired up to the forwards, they were aimless balls and were always going to favour the KK backs, Padraic Maher is constantly guilty of doing it. Our forwards really didn't get going yesterday but we need to give them better opportunities to show off their skills. Low balls or balls into space should be what we're looking to play and players like Bourke, Callanan and Corbett will thrive. If we want to persist with these high balls then Bonner and O'Meara are the type of forward who will stand a chance of winning them

Be that as it may i was very disappointed with the willingness (or lack of) in both Lar and Seamie to win lost possession back. I was Lar's biggest defender but im not so sure if those type of players are luxuries we can afford anymore.

Not winning an aerial ball would be bearable but there should be alot more urgency to turnover possession from the Kilkenny 40 onwards or at least try and use the hurl to break it to a man running through. Its no use these guys admiring Bonnar's work-rate, they need to up their own. Mere token gestures of a challenge just wont do any-more. Seamie was on fire the last day but he didnt touch one ball yesterday.
    The fortunes of Tipperary hurling cannot rest on which side of the bed Seamus Callanan or Lar Corbett will emerge from the morning of a game. These guys need to be pursuing everything. Lar did one or two good things but im not sure its enough to warrant a place on a panel with All Ireland aspirations anymore. The sad thing is there is few replacements on the panel at present but taking the suspension out of the equation, Lar or Seamie didnt exactly give their manager food for thought yesterday

OAOB wrote: »

Part of that has to go to the pressure applied by the KK forwards, their work rate is excellent, especially Colin Fennelly and Aidan Fogarty

Part of that has to go to the pressure applied by the KK forwards, their work rate is excellent, especially Colin Fennelly and Aidan Fogarty

Thats essentially the difference. Cody would not stand for that in Kilkenny. The likes of some of our forwards making pathetic attempts (if were even lucky with that) at putting the opposition defence under pressure.

Eamon O'Shea would probably drop them only to be fair he hasn't the strength in depth. The culture amongst forwards in Tipperary needs to change. If you lose out then fine but make it harder for the likes of Brian Hogan or Tommy Walsh to get in the clearance. What's going on is just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Be that as it may i was very disappointed with the willingness (or lack of) in both Lar and Seamie to win lost possession back. I was Lar's biggest defender but im not so sure if those type of players are luxuries we can afford anymore.

Not winning an aerial ball would be bearable but there should be alot more urgency to turnover possession from the Kilkenny 40 onwards or at least try and use the hurl to break it to a man running through. Its no use these guys admiring Bonnar's work-rate, they need to up their own. Mere token gestures of a challenge just wont do any-more. Seamie was on fire the last day but he didnt touch one ball yesterday.
    The fortunes of Tipperary hurling cannot rest on which side of the bed Seamus Callanan or Lar Corbett will emerge from the morning of a game. These guys need to be pursuing everything. Lar did one or two good things but im not sure its enough to warrant a place on a panel with All Ireland aspirations anymore. The sad thing is there is few replacements on the panel at present but taking the suspension out of the equation, Lar or Seamie didnt exactly give their manager food for thought yesterday

fully agreed.i love lar always have but even now im questioning wheter his overall input in a game warrants a starting place and you would have to say no and callanan again proved yesterday that when the going gets tough seamie gets going.someone else in an earlier post said we dont have a powerhouse that can run at speed well we have seamie it just a pity he doesnt do it.when kk got the ball the first instinct was to run with it and you either got past your man or you drew a free and we seem to rarely run at them

Not sure if this has been posted but JJ and Lar won't miss any championship for their hugathon in the league final.
    Both received 4 week suspensions which will expire a week before they play Offaly and Limerick respectively.

A stupid situation imo,
    if a player receives a straight red it should be match rather than time bans. I thought that system had actually came in? Had they got the red cards early in the league, they could have missed 3 rounds.

Anyways, good news for both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Youngladathome

Not sure if this has been posted but JJ and Lar won't miss any championship for their hugathon in the league final.
    Both received 4 week suspensions which will expire a week before they play Offaly and Limerick respectively.

A stupid situation imo,
    if a player receives a straight red it should be match rather than time bans. I thought that system had actually came in? Had they got the red cards early in the league, they could have missed 3 rounds.

Anyways, good news for both teams.

Lar may still be out of contention until his ribs, or rib, as the case may be, heals. KK had a similar situation with Richie Power when he was unfit to play in the League final due to injured ribs. I think the injury came to light in a club game but may actually have happened in the semi-final against Galway. I heard people questioning Lar's injury, saying it was all a dodge, that he was ok walking off the pitch. Well, Richie Power's rib injury went undiagnosed for a couple of weeks - apparently he thought the soreness was down to bruising.

lar surely knows at this stage hes a marked man every time he plays kk after the hattrick against them so id much rather he let his hurling do the talking when he plays them and hit them where it hurts rather than constantly feeding the mockery machine against him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

their hugathon in the league final

I am not blaming anyone, as I don't know the full story and anyway it's history now, you have a nice way of putting it, next time I hope no ribs are cracked!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I see Lars ribs attacked Brian Hogans knee. Must have been how he got the injury :rolleyes:

To be honest i think its a shambles that both are either let off or suspended. We all know one of them at the very least deserved a red and it wasnt Lar. I would hasten to guess the 'inconclusive' evidence wasn't looked at forensically, hence, the daft conclusion that 2 players deserved red cards and then the even more baffling exoneration of both.

746378.jpg

Both Tipperary u21s and Seniors will play Waterford next week. Hopefully Eamon O'Shea and Ken Hogan might give a few Swan or Davin's players a run out just as O'Shea done in Dolla back in January with Orrie Quirke and Ronan Sherlock.

Danny O'Hanlon in particular might be worth another look from what i hear. Hurled well for Tipp Intermediates v Laois last week.

James Barry will start down in Cork in the challenge tomorrow at wing back. Kieran Bergin will start in midfield. John O'Keeffe will start at corner back

Xenophile wrote: »
    I am not blaming anyone, as I don't know the full story and anyway it's history now, you have a nice way of putting it, next time I hope no ribs are cracked!

I only saw what TV cameras showed also, my gripe is the methods of suspension.
    If a player gets suspended he should get match bans, not a weeks system

I see Lars ribs attacked Brian Hogans knee. Must have been how he got the injury :rolleyes:

To be honest i think its a shambles that both are either let off or suspended. We all know one of them at the very least deserved a red and it wasnt Lar. I would hasten to guess the 'inconclusive' evidence wasn't looked at forensically, hence, the daft conclusion that 2 players deserved red cards and then the even more baffling exoneration of both.

746378.jpg

Reminds me of hounds pouncing on a fox! Where are Lar's team-mates when he needs them?
    How did you get that photo up from sportsfile Tipp Gunner? I've tried to put one up and failed.

Reminds me of hounds pouncing on a fox! Where are Lar's team-mates when he needs them?
    How did you get that photo up from sportsfile Tipp Gunner? I've tried to put one up and failed.

Remember that every image has its own url. Your probably inserting the url of the sportsfile page as opposed to the image url into the box. You have to right click the image and select view image and then paste the url from that address bar into the insert image box.

A few of the Tipp lads got involved alright to be fair but i suppose they didnt expect the whole Kilkenny back-line to get stuck into Lar and expected that hard man JJ Delaney would be willing to fight his own battles

746367.jpg

Just putting up this picture to show how hard it was to get through the KK defence in the league final. 'Bonner' tried really hard and, as if it wasn't difficult enough to get through with JJ swinging from one arm, Tommy flailing away at the other side and Kieran Joyce poking from behind, Barry Kelly actually blew him for over-carrying when he had the sliothar on his stick! 'Bonner' is a pretty strong lad to have kept going with those three in attendance - and the whistle went just as Jackie Tyrell appeared in front of him and was about to execute his specialty - a full frontal!
    I'm not knocking the KK backs they're tough and don't stand on ceremony, which is what you expect from defenders, I'm merely trying to show how hard it is to beat them in tight situations with limited space. And our forwards failed dismally when it came to creating space and getting any kind of run on defenders in the way that Michael Fennelly did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

746367.jpg

Just putting up this picture to show how hard it was to get through the KK defence in the league final. 'Bonner' tried really hard and, as if it wasn't difficult enough to get through with JJ swinging from one arm, Tommy flailing away at the other side and Kieran Joyce poking from behind, Barry Kelly actually blew him for over-carrying when he had the sliothar on his stick! 'Bonner' is a pretty strong lad to have kept going with those three in attendance - and the whistle went just as Jackie Tyrell appeared in front of him and was about to execute his specialty - a full frontal!
    I'm not knocking the KK backs they're tough and don't stand on ceremony, which is what you expect from defenders, I'm merely trying to show how hard it is to beat them in tight situations with limited space. And our forwards failed dismally when it came to creating space and getting any kind of run on defenders in the way that Michael Fennelly did.

To be fair to Walsh he is clearly trying to flick the ball away in that photo

thats what kk do its no secret so end of the day your either going to put it up to them and win or lie down and lose and we all know what we do best against them:(

To be fair to Walsh he if clearly trying to flick the ball away in that photo

I dont think youngladathome was suggesting any wrong doing on this occasion by Tommy but the photo he posted poses many great points of discussion. Our weaknesses seem to be totally in line with their strengths. Surely to god any other of the forwards could have helped Bonnar in some way but it would seem they werent on the same page as him or didnt want to be neither. Our forwards are merely making token gestures at portraying any sort of effort or intensity. Is the coaching in Tipperary prepping these lads for the rough and tumble of the intercounty game? Or is it this fruit we are bearing today from the two balls mickey our GAA politicians made of our senior championship by overloading it with poor teams and diluting the quality and intensity over time

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

746367.jpg

Ya, 'Bonner' looks like a pot of honey attracting a swarm of wasps. With so many of the Kk backs preoccupied with 'Bonner' there has to be a lot of space for the rest of the forwards. If they work on getting the ball to the free man they have a good chance of picking up some handy scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Tipp well beaten by Cork in challenge match tonight. Scored 24 points, but conceded 5-17. Not good even with an understrength team.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

Drom defeated Sars tonight 5.20 to 2.17 in a cracking match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Port and Nenagh drew. Poor game. Conditions were not great but neither side took advantage when they had advantage of strong breeze.
    Anyone know draw for next stage of North Championship and when the county championship draw will be made?

Tipp well beaten by Cork in challenge match tonight. Scored 24 points, but conceded 5-17. Not good even with an understrength team.

Ya its a hiding but in all honesty im not too worried about challenges in fairness. What matters from here on in is the Championship performances.

Perhaps from an individual point of view (in terms of debutants that may have performed well) challenges would matter but from a collective (team effort) point of view i wouldnt read too much into it. Glorified training sessions if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

North SHC quarter final draw: Templederry v Kildangan; Nenagh v Toomevara; Roscrea v Borris-Ileigh; Silvermines v Portroe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Ya its a hiding but in all honesty im not too worried about challenges in fairness. What matters from here on in is the Championship performances.

Perhaps from an individual point of view (in terms of debutants that may have performed well) challenges would matter but from a collective (team effort) point of view i wouldnt read too much into it. Glorified training sessions if you ask me.

It all fairness cussen scored 2-2 our back line must have been very bad in the second half, was talking to cork lads and they can't believe cussen is back on the team and scored 2goals tonight, I wouldn't read anything into it at all look at the first game of the league and how far they came from there!!

Advertisement